I/O Psychology 2009

uberskooper

So I received an encouraging letter in the mail today:

Dear....

blah, blah, blah... your admission has not been approved. The reason for denial is:

Application was incomplete.

INCOMPLETE???? :o :evil: :cry:

Someone from the school emailed me awhile back and asked for my transcript. Since I already sent it in, I had a receipt that was sent from them to my school. Sure enough. It was there, so I emailed this information back, saying that they should email me back if they couldn't find it and I would send another one.

ugh... now for the "why did this happen?" email...

Can they reject you based on their own misplacement of your app materials??

I got that from one of my schools a few weeks ago. I sent an email basically stating that I had documentation stating that the problem wasn't with me or my undergrad institution and that I'd be happy to resend ASAP if needed. They found them shortly thereafter. My guess is that a student worker didn't know what they were doing and misplaced them. It didn't affect the status of my application at all.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, or well, at least I am pretty sure CMU is done with their acceptance letters (don't take my word as gospel, but I was talking to a guy on the phone - unfortunately, I can't be considered(even though they lost my transcript), because they already pretty much finished their list of accepted people)

I'm not sure about the others...

Supposedly ISU is having their visit day on friday and invitation emails were given out last week. I didn't get one. :(

The only thing that's keeping me going now is what my senior thesis advisor told me about her experience applying to grad school - she didn't get into the backups, but got into all her top choices. :lol:

Any updates on application status?

Actually, of the schools I applied to I haven't heard from ANY as of yet :( The waiting is killing me... :)

Schools I have applied to:

Depaul

Portland State

SLU

UMSL

UNCC - OB

UNCC - I/O Masters

I am hoping that news starts coming in this week!

I know, or well, at least I am pretty sure CMU is done with their acceptance letters (don't take my word as gospel, but I was talking to a guy on the phone - unfortunately, I can't be considered(even though they lost my transcript), because they already pretty much finished their list of accepted people)

I'm not sure about the others...

Supposedly ISU is having their visit day on friday and invitation emails were given out last week. I didn't get one. :(

The only thing that's keeping me going now is what my senior thesis advisor told me about her experience applying to grad school - she didn't get into the backups, but got into all her top choices. :lol:

That's a bummer. It feels doubly unfair when it might have been someone elses mistake rather than your own merit. I hope you get accepted into one of your other choices.

I haven't heard back from anywhere else besides the ones I already mentioned. I've lost hope on Purdue, because someone on the results page got accepted there a few weeks ago and said they were one of three. Oh well. We'll see about the others.

ew.

mandatory in-person interview to which they don't fork out the cash??

How often does that happen?

I know! When I talked to one of the profs before I applied, she told me that they have an interview weekend. They don't pay for anything. And if you don't show up, it counts as a strike against you. She said that grad school was a big investment and a truely serious applicant should make the effort to come to an interview. While I suppose this is true, it's still a dick move on the part of the school to require a face-to-face interview that they don't help pay for. It's a huge burden to ask of poor students. I don't understand why a phone interview doesn't suffice if they really want to penny pinch.

I

know! When I talked to one of the profs before I applied, she told me

that they have an interview weekend. They don't pay for anything. And

if you don't show up, it counts as a strike against you. She said that

grad school was a big investment and a truely serious applicant should

make the effort to come to an interview. While I suppose this is true,

it's still a dick move on the part of the school to require a

face-to-face interview that they don't help pay for. It's a huge burden

to ask of poor students. I don't understand why a phone interview

doesn't suffice if they really want to penny pinch.

If anyone should understand how broke college/grad students are, it's professors!

Jeez. Grad school requires an HUGE investment of time and energy and funds - don't ask for applicants to waste their money ahead of time.

Though I can maybe see the Univ. of Minn. asking for students to do this. They get so many applicants, they have to narrow it down somehow. :roll:

Completely off-topic:

Status update from the ApplyOnline website for U. of Minnesota: "Graduate School Final Review." I haven't heard any news since I submitted my application and it was sent to the program.

GHHHAAAAA what does this mean what does this mean??? Should I read into it at all? If it were an outright rejection, would the school need to review it??

Completely off-topic:

Status update from the ApplyOnline website for U. of Minnesota: "Graduate School Final Review." I haven't heard any news since I submitted my application and it was sent to the program.

GHHHAAAAA what does this mean what does this mean??? Should I read into it at all? If it were an outright rejection, would the school need to review it??

Your guess is as good as mine, but it sounds like it's time for some cautious optimism...

Hi everyone,

I bit the bullet and called Portland State to find out what was up. Apparently they will send out acceptance/rejection letters by the second week of March. Still more waiting.

Haha, waiting is the worst! :) Did PSU say anything about the timeline for phone interviews??

No optimism. Just checked again after getting out of class.... admission denied.

Oh well. Who wants to move to Minnesota anyway? :wink: :lol:

I talked to some reps from Minn. at a grad school fair - they pretty much flat out told me not to bother applying. :lol: Do you really want to go to a school that seems full of themselves?

Haha, waiting is the worst! :) Did PSU say anything about the timeline for phone interviews??

He didn't say (plus, I was only talking to the department secretary. He has been very helpful, but I doubt he knows the process that intricately).

Has anyone heard from DePaul (who applied there)? I received an email after I submitted my app that said we would receive notification in early Feb of decision. Although the app wasn't due until January so that does seem kind of early...

I applied to DePaul as well and got the same email back in January about the Feb notification date, but still have yet to hear anything as well. Hmmmm... I thought it was strange that they would be making their decision so quickly with a Jan deadline too.

I applied to DePaul as well and got the same email back in January about the Feb notification date, but still have yet to hear anything as well. Hmmmm... I thought it was strange that they would be making their decision so quickly with a Jan deadline too.

Geez I wish she wouldn't have set the expecatation for early Feb. Although she's probably not too involved in the decision making process. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something. The wait continues.

Has anyone tried to contact the UIUC grad office via e-mail?

I'm not getting any response;;

which is probably a bad thing

I'm curious to know if anyone received any good news from them

I didn't apply there. I know a lot of schools are taking longer to review the accounts as many schools had to cut admin staff. I wouldn't really stress about it yet. They are probably getting a lot of inquiries about the decison and are choosing not to explain it to every email. 5 schools I applied to still haven't made decisions.

I didn't apply there. I know a lot of schools are taking longer to review the accounts as many schools had to cut admin staff. I wouldn't really stress about it yet. They are probably getting a lot of inquiries about the decison and are choosing not to explain it to every email. 5 schools I applied to still haven't made decisions.

Same here...

I don't think I'd be waitlisted to all 5 schools - I have to be either rejected or accepted to a few of them.

I don't know if I can wait another week.... :(

Assesta - I was probably rejected from UIUC in the first round - I received my letter about a month ago.

This second round is taking FOREVER!!!

*sigh*

I guess I just have to be patient...