I/O Psychology 2009

uberskooper

I just finished writing her an e-mail that [in much more formal terms] said that I didn't think it was fair to keep me under consideration because I was down to 2 schools and probably making my decision next week. That is a very weird feeling.

I should probably do the same.... really, I shouldn't have applied to Akron because it's really not a good fit for my interests, but a good friend of mine lives close to there and pressured me to apply, lol.

What's the other school you're considering besides Penn State? Did you talk with other visiting students while at PSU about their thoughts/reactions to the school upon seeing it? (Sorry for the question, but I'm getting VERY anxious because I haven't heard any updates one way or the other about my status..... Ahhh!!)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the other school you're considering besides Penn State? Did you talk with other visiting students while at PSU about their thoughts/reactions to the school upon seeing it? (Sorry for the question, but I'm getting VERY anxious because I haven't heard any updates one way or the other about my status..... Ahhh!!)

Yeah, I applied to Akron because my boyfriend at the time lived in Ohio, even though it only fit decently with my research interests. It's a great program/school, but when I got into my top two choices that my research fits extremely well with, I don't think I would be my happiest there.

I'll shoot you a personal message about the rest of that.

I was accepted to the master's program at George Mason about a week and a half ago. My spring break was last week, so I visited while I had time to make the 10 hour drive. I was told the master's program tends to take 15 (sometimes a few more) people a year. I think I was the first person to visit with an offer to the master's program because most of the current students were surprised by the information that I had been accepted. I'm going to assume that means they're still in the beginning stages of decisions. The same day I was there, a guy that had been admitted to the PhD program was also visiting, so they must be making decisions as well.

Hey,

I am waiting on George Mason's admission decision as well. I called last week and was told that they were sending out letters at the end of the week. Did anyone hear back? I sure didn't. They said it would take 4-6 weeks to hear a decision after they processed the application so we are overdue now. Also did anyone apply to Appalachian state or Xavier's I/O masters program? If so did you hear a response yet?

I got an e-mail last night saying that I'm on the wait list for DePaul... but I made my choice today, so it's kind of a moot point. =) Now to send a bunch of e-mails to schools with my decision!

I got an e-mail last night saying that I'm on the wait list for DePaul... but I made my choice today, so it's kind of a moot point. =) Now to send a bunch of e-mails to schools with my decision!

Woohoo! Congrats paiged!! Where are you headed next year?

I have an acceptance. This is quite unexpected. And I'm considering it, which is even more unexpected.

Question for all: how did you determine the rankings of the various programs to which you applied? The I/O speciality ranking offered by US News is only for the top 10, and doesn't correlate with their rankings for general psychology programs (Akron's I/O is 8-ish, while the department as a whole didn't even make the other list).

dherres,

I think that was the reason why I have gotten rejected by all the PhD programs I applied to. I just judged the competitiveness of the program based on how many people applied and how many got in.

These numbers were totally screwed up this year though - both a backup and a top choice of mine both got 70 applications and accepted about 3-5.

Depends on how often they update their websites.

I don't even know about how Eastern Kentucky is ranked in terms of masters programs...??

I think we should create a ranking - and get paid for it!

Woohoo! Congrats paiged!! Where are you headed next year?

I will be moving to State College, PA to go to Penn State! So, that means that spots will be open at BGSU and Purdue, and a spot off the waitlist at DePaul, Akron, and MSU. Now I just have to not get fat off their illegally high fat content creamery ice cream!

I know DePaul said they had 103 Applicants and accepted 3 people. It's been such a ridiculous year for grad school applications, (though I know I don't really have that much room to talk).

Illinois Ellie-- I'm assuming you mean UIUC? I'm a senior there now. I've been trying to figure out if I know who you are for weeks!

did anyone get a financial package offer from Akron yet? Because I got a call and was told that there's 2 possible packages they could offer me... But they can't say for sure until the 1st of April... It's so confusing... why would they tell me all this and raise my hopes?? To that I told them that I have offers from other schools as well... you know in order to use it as a leverage to make a better bargain... But I don't know if Akron's worth all this effort? any opinions about Akron's Masters in I/O program?

On another note... does anyone know of Teachers College Columbia U's reputation in the field of I/O?

On another note... does anyone know of Teachers College Columbia U's reputation in the field of I/O?

I'm trying to evaluate that myself. I don't trust US New's "rankings," as the specialty rankings don't correlate with those for psychology programs. I'm meeting with several of my recommenders next week though, both in the psychology field, one in I/O specifically, and the quality and reputation of TC's psych program is one of the things I plan on discussing. I'll be sure to PM you with what I find out!

Well folks I was denied from George Mason a couple days ago for the Masters in I/O. Its was my first choice but O well. I emailed them and they emailed back and told me. It was a nice email though. I hope anyone else that is trying to get accepted gets in. Good luck all and keep truckin!

Illinois Ellie-- I'm assuming you mean UIUC? I'm a senior there now. I've been trying to figure out if I know who you are for weeks!

UIUC? for the 70 apps and 3-5 openings? I also include Rice and NIU (PhD) - each of them had about the same numbers - which is odd, considering the masters program at George Mason had 130 applications for about 15 openings - CRAZY!

I don't go to UIUC, but close to it - IWU in Bloomington. :lol:

Sorry to hear that justwondering! I also got a rejection from GMU the other day.

Still haven't heard anything from GWU (which I think is weird),

and I was told that I am "high" on the waitlist at DePaul- my top choice. Has anyone accepted at DePaul? At the time I asked, I was told that no one had rejected or accepted an admission offer.

Hope most of you are receiving good news!!

Yes.

I know that BGSU at least isn't doing anything admission wise while SIOP isn't going on, which is why Scott Highhouse wanted me to get back to him before then. There, at least, they seem to be very conscientious about the people on the waitlist. Also, we're getting to the season where people are accepting or rejecting admissions offers, so a lot of it is just whether or not the class is full... which some schools don't know yet.