Heading to the UK for grad school

Not attending there but I did live just outside Cambridge for 6 years and wanted to say that you'll love it (if you haven't been already)! Cambridge has a wonderful, comforting feeling about it, plus you're only 3 hours drive from Dover, so it's really easy to get overseas.

Hi guys,

Just wondering who else is heading to the UK for graduate studies in the autumn.

I'll be at Cambridge for musicology.

Anyone else?

-E

Not attending there but I did live just outside Cambridge for 6 years and wanted to say that you'll love it (if you haven't been already)! Cambridge has a wonderful, comforting feeling about it, plus you're only 3 hours drive from Dover, so it's really easy to get overseas.

Thanks! I am really excited :)

D'oh! I meant "to the continent", not "overseas"....been over here so long it's just force of habit!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just wondering who else is heading to the UK for graduate studies in the autumn.

I'll be at Cambridge for musicology.

Anyone else?

-E

I'll be at LSE for a master's in media and communications in the fall.

Can't wait to get to the UK!

Congrats on getting in! I'm applying to several UK universities for grad school (if I can figure out the funding). Cambridge is on my list . Hoping I can start Spring 2012. Do keep us informed on your experience, it's very exciting!

• 1 month later...

I'm reviving this topic! I'm heading to Leeds in September, and right now travel is the main thing on my mind. Does anyone have any advice about the best time to buy a one way plane ticket to England? (I'll probably be flying from Dulles, in DC.) I haven't bought mine yet, and I don't want to wait too long and have the prices start going up again (not that they're exactly "down" now - the cheapest I've been able to find is around $800...grrr). Anyone else travelling to England have some insight on this??

I'm reviving this topic! I'm heading to Leeds in September, and right now travel is the main thing on my mind. Does anyone have any advice about the best time to buy a one way plane ticket to England? (I'll probably be flying from Dulles, in DC.) I haven't bought mine yet, and I don't want to wait too long and have the prices start going up again (not that they're exactly "down" now - the cheapest I've been able to find is around $800...grrr). Anyone else travelling to England have some insight on this??

I have no experience travelign to England what so ever, but I travel back and forth from NJ, USA and Tokyo all the time. 90% of the time, a round trip ticket is cheaper than a regular ticket - at least for me flying to Tokyo. I'm not sure if you could do this, but if you find out that they are actually cheaper (round trip over one way,) purchase a round trip ticket and just "miss" the return flight. If you can do that, that is. I don't know if you would get charged fees for missing your flight or what not.

Also, don't be afraid to try those random "CHEAP FLIGHTS EVERYWHERE!" sites. Some times they are actually legit ^_^

Best of luck and congrats.

Hey I've been in London since September and bought my ticket using STA travel at www.statravel.com. Have a look at www.studentuniverse.com as well.

Hope this helps!

Hey I've been in London since September and bought my ticket using STA travel at www.statravel.com. Have a look at www.studentuniverse.com as well.

Hope this helps!

I actually just did the same. One way flights are very cheap! I got mine for under $400.

STA is definitely the way to go!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Forgot I'd already posted in here, but I ended up applying to school in the UK and just got into the University of Sussex, although I had to defer due to the economy going down the crapper (thanks, Tea Party!) and so the person funding it will not be able to swing it this year.

• 9 months later...

Uni Edinburgh for English Language! I'm still holding out for some scholarships I've applied for...any funding will help!

I've already bought my ticket, cause I saw one cheap and just went for it. I've never bought a one-way ticket before! It's a little bit scary.

Soooo ready to move to Scotland!

Yeah, I booked a one way flight to Heathrow from Vancouver for $620. I bought it off Expedia for Virgin Atlantic - I'm currently not a student so I can't use Student Universe or I would have. I was using SkyScanner also and found some cheap tickets there. I don't actually know if $620 is cheap compared to all possible prices, but from what I was seeing earlier this month it seemed pretty good. I saw one for $602 at the beginning of May.

Wow, that really doesn't seem that bad. I've seen around the $550 mark from New York to Edinburgh, so $620 from Vancouver really isn't that bad. It's really had to bite that bullet and buy the flight, but eventually I'll have to!

Yeah, I've heard that sometimes if you're willing to wait til the last minute you can get super cheap deals, but I'm WAAAY too much of a worrier to do that.

What's your program again, SweetPea?

I get really anxious waiting until the last minute as well, but I do want to wait until I have my visa in hand before booking a flight. Either way, I figure with the Olympics, Edinburgh fringe festival, just the typical price hike that comes with summer, I'm prepared to pay a hefty airfare. The last thing I want is to have to pay big $$$ and then have to pay an additional fee to change it.

I'll be taking on the new MPP (masters in public policy), administered through the Academy of Government at Edinburgh University. Crazy excited about it! :)

Rather coincidentally I'm in the process of buying my ticket over. Apparently from DC, I'm finding prices in the range of $480-$520 to get out to Edinburgh.

On a slightly unrelated note but connected to getting over there--how many days in advance are people heading over? I'm planning on a week beforehand, in spite of the restriction on moving into the grad housing till the weekend before. I'll probably stay either at a hostel and/or CouchSurf in the area till then. Is anyone also planning on shipping things over, or just going barebones with luggage via plane?

I have a UK passport, so I don't have to apply for a visa (though I still have to pay international tuition - stupid residence requirement!) which is how I could get away with buying my ticket without visa worry. I'm sure you'll get your visa though, unless you are a convicted felon (that might make things more challenging). Are you flying in to Edinburgh or flying in to London and catching the train up? I'm taking a week's holiday in England before I move to school so I'm going over early and lugging my life in two bags around the South Coast for a week :P

Oh cool! Sounds very exciting. I'm also thrilled about starting...I wish it were September already!

[edit cause I just saw Jon's post]: I'm going bare bones, just because a friend who went to Edinburgh last year said she brought way more than she needed and acquired some while travelling too, and ended up having to give a lot of it away before she moved back. I'm limiting myself to 10-12 books and all the clothes/shoes etc. that I can fit into a suitcase + backbacking backpack + regular small backpack. It's gonna be a tight squeeze!

Wow, those are super cheap tickets! Are those all the way to Scotland? Is there a layover? Who is the carrier?

Edited by antecedant