Bikes

fumblewhat

Anyone have any recommendations for a good commuter bike? I've decided I can't afford a car on my stipend, so it looks like I'll be taking the bus and biking most days -- including grocery trips. Originally, I thought I wanted to spend about $300, but bikes fully outfitted for a daily commute (fenders, lights, rack) tend to run about twice that amount. I've got my eye on a Novara Transfer that almost seems worth it, though.

Any bicycle commuters out there? What are you riding?

hooray for bike commuting!I volunteer at a local bike co-op, and for being a member got a bike for free (minus $4 for new brake pads). I spent about $50 on a pump, lights, lock, etc. and it works great. Before I moved to NC, I commuted to work every day on a donated mountain bike :)

In my experience, if you're relying on a bike to commute it's more important to know how to fix whatever bike you have, rather than getting a nice new one. No matter how nice it is when you get it, you will eventually have to do minor repairs and tune-ups. Having a broken bike when you need it to get around is much worse than having one that's a little old and creaky. If there's a bike co-op, or classes you can take on bike repair, or a bike-knowledgable friend around, try to learn basic bike repair and you will be very glad.

as a side note- for groceries, I would suck up to a friend with a car or take the bus; lugging milk + perishable produce + cans on a bike is no fun. trust me:)

I'll be biking around in grad school also :)

I worked in a lab last summer and lived in an apartment about 2.5 miles away so I biked everyday. It wasn't too bad at all (but the school i worked at was very bike friendly).

Getting groceries wasn't too bad, I just put them in my book bag! Though it would have been nice to have a car i'm sure but it's doable. Hopefully at grad school I find an apartment that has a nice bike trail to places I need to go! I never like biking on roads too much (i worked in a hospital doing neuropsych evals for head injuries, i'll always wear a helmet, that's for sure!)

I can speak to this topic, since I am a confirmed bike commuter and cyclist. I have to echo the statement that you ought to become comfortable doing common repairs. My advice would be to buy a secondhand bike to start, from craigslist or a co-op. I started out buying fixer-uppers from craigslist and taught myself to be my own mechanic through trial and error. It took about 3 years but I learned enough from my experiments on cheap bikes that A: I learned what good quality components and brands were and B: I could build myself a very fine road racing bike from scratch for about half the price of retail.

If you want advice on craigslist bikes you are interested in, please feel free to post the links.

If you are set on buying a commuter bike retail, keep in mind fenders, panniers, etc. can be added to most bikes. I have a detachable dirtboard (plastic back fender) that I can put on my road bike for really rainy days and I invested in a Timbuk2 messenger bag that holds everything I need to carry. A good rain jacket and perhaps rain pants are a must too. I guess what I am saying is commuting is more about the accessories than the actual bike.. IMHO.

Edited by singlecell

This has been very useful! Thanks for your all your advice! I think changing a tire is the extent of my bike repair expertise, but I've always wanted to know more. There does seem to be a (perhaps inactive) bike co-op where I'm headed, so I'll definitely check that out when I finally get stateside.

My problem is this: I'm short. Like really short. I usually say I'm 5`3 to make myself feel better, but let's be real. I'm 5`2, with short legs for my height. I'm worried this will make it difficult to find a suitable second hand bike? Any tips on sizing? I've heard that going with 26" tires is better than 700c for the vertically impaired like myself.

I'm planning to bike quite a bit too. I already have a bike that I've had for a little over a year now that I use for around town errands and also fitness. It's a nice solid steel frame road bike. This might be TMI, but I tend to sweat a lot when biking, even when I try to limit my speed a lot, so when I used to bike to work I wore bike shorts and athletic tops, and then changed into my work clothes in the bathroom. I'll probably plan to do the same for grad school, so having all sorts of fenders and such isn't as much of a concern for me. I also carry a backpack, which is cheaper than installing a bunch of accessories.

For sizing, I'd consider going to a local bike shop and having them fit you so you have an idea of what size bike you'll need. And I agree on trying to learn repairs yourself.

You can also see if there is a good used bike shop were you're headed. College towns will likely have one, who serve the purpose of selling reliable used bikes to students, buying them back when said student graduates, and fixing them up to sell again. And it's definitely possible to find a bike as a short person. I'm 5'5" and when I was looking for a used commuting bike in the fall I found several that were much too small for me. 26" tires are smaller than 700c, but they are also wider, cushier and mostly found on mountain bikes and cruisers. If you're looking for a road bike, look for 650c tires.

Edited for bad early morning grammar.

Edited by riceandbeans

I have a Huffy Cranbrook. It's a one-speed. I haven't biked in a while because my neighborhood is far from cycling-friendly. I plan on taking it with me to Boston and hope there aren't too many hills since it's one-gear. That or I just need to pump more power into my legs in the meantime.

Edited by Chulianne

This has been very useful! Thanks for your all your advice! I think changing a tire is the extent of my bike repair expertise, but I've always wanted to know more. There does seem to be a (perhaps inactive) bike co-op where I'm headed, so I'll definitely check that out when I finally get stateside.

My problem is this: I'm short. Like really short. I usually say I'm 5`3 to make myself feel better, but let's be real. I'm 5`2, with short legs for my height. I'm worried this will make it difficult to find a suitable second hand bike? Any tips on sizing? I've heard that going with 26" tires is better than 700c for the vertically impaired like myself.

No worries, I am short too- like 5'2'' on a good day :)

The frame sizes are generally in centimeters and I have found a 47-49cm frame is best for me. 49cm frames can take 700c wheels, which are more common (read:easier to find) but 46 and 47cm frames usually require the 650c wheels (usually bought by youth and smaller women like me). The benefit of the 650c wheels is reduced incidence of toe overlap when you are riding and turning. I ride a 49cm frame with 700c wheels and I don't have much problem with toe overlap. I used to ride a 51cm frame but it really was not comfortable.

You're getting me all excited for spring and riding season!

I am also a pretty committed bike commuter (to and from work at least) and am planning to ditch my car before moving to DC, so I will be riding a lot more. I have a Dahon Boardwalk S1 - it's the cheapest model that Dahon makes. It is a one speed folding bike, which makes it extremely portable. It does not ride nearly as well as a non-folder, but it does enable me to do things that I may not be able to otherwise, like store it at my cubicle, carry it in my trunk, and store compactly in my apartment. If you are tight on space and want something portable, I'd look into a folder. Unfortunately most of them are more expensive, but I was able to find my Boardwalk for $200 on ebay. You can get it new on Amazon for about $250.

I'm a bike commuter. I ride a 78 Schwinn Varsity, with upgrades like Armadillo tires and thorn-resistant tubes. It looks sort of like a beater-bike, which is good because bike theft is huge here.

The best advice I can give is to give the bike a test ride before buying, whether you're buying new or used. Oh, and invest in either a front basket or a rear rack that you can attach panniers to.

I'm a bike commuter (5.5 miles each way, mostly urban bikepaths).

My best bikes have come off of Craigslist. For $200-$300 you can get something perfectly nice, and it's not that much more than a Walmart cheapie. Honestly, I wouldn't spend more than $300 for a bike - they tend to wander away. (I've lost at least four bikes in the past seven years, and have seen tool marks / cuts on my lock from two other attempts.)

If your location will allow it, I heartily recommend a single-speed. They're lighter, and they have fewer moving parts, so there's less to break. Boston is pretty flat; I had a 21-speeder for awhile, and only ever used two of those speeds. Now I ride a beat-up-looking old Peugeot racer, single-speed with coaster brakes - it's a sweet machine, and I'd take it with me, but San Francisco has hills.

After looking at auto insurance rates, I think I'm going to try to live without a car. I haven't owned a car in 5 years now and don't miss it a whole lot. I have an old Kona Kaboom that I was going to sell, but I don't think I can stand to part with it, so I'll try to take it with me. I also have a Dahon Mu SL, but transporting that one won't be a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

No worries, I am short too- like 5'2'' on a good day :)

The frame sizes are generally in centimeters and I have found a 47-49cm frame is best for me. 49cm frames can take 700c wheels, which are more common (read:easier to find) but 46 and 47cm frames usually require the 650c wheels (usually bought by youth and smaller women like me). The benefit of the 650c wheels is reduced incidence of toe overlap when you are riding and turning. I ride a 49cm frame with 700c wheels and I don't have much problem with toe overlap. I used to ride a 51cm frame but it really was not comfortable.

You're getting me all excited for spring and riding season!

Since we're talking about bikes for the vertically challenged....I was planning on heading to a bike shop this summer looking to be fitted but i am 4'11" so im expecting to need a nice tiny bike. I also will be moving out to UW-Madison this fall, and was having an argument with a family member recently about what bike to take. I currently have an old walmart mountain bike. I was thinkign i need more of a road bike in madison.

Since we're talking about bikes for the vertically challenged....I was planning on heading to a bike shop this summer looking to be fitted but i am 4'11" so im expecting to need a nice tiny bike. I also will be moving out to UW-Madison this fall, and was having an argument with a family member recently about what bike to take. I currently have an old walmart mountain bike. I was thinkign i need more of a road bike in madison.

Mountain bikes can be adapted into really good commuter bikes, actually! I wouldn't get rid of your current bike so quickly -- I would think a mountain bike would suit the snow better (nice fat wheels!) and something of WalMart quality is probably exactly what you want to subject to a harsh winter like in Madison. Other good options for winter migh be be a fixed gear bike (easy to control traction) or something with an internal hub and/or disc brakes (usually expensive). If you're not planning on riding in witner, I suppose the field is wide open, though!

Mountain bikes can be adapted into really good commuter bikes, actually! I wouldn't get rid of your current bike so quickly -- I would think a mountain bike would suit the snow better (nice fat wheels!) and something of WalMart quality is probably exactly what you want to subject to a harsh winter like in Madison. Other good options for winter migh be be a fixed gear bike (easy to control traction) or something with an internal hub and/or disc brakes (usually expensive). If you're not planning on riding in witner, I suppose the field is wide open, though!

I agree, at least you should give the mountain bike a try in Madison. A lot of commuters have two bikes, a faster road type bike for good weather and a beater for rainy, slushy weather. In a place like Madison or Chicago you have to consider SALT too. All that salt on the road in winter really does a number on your components and paint job.

I am taking my Fuji road bike to Madison and I am building a Mercier fixed gear for more of an everyday townie bike.

biggrin.gif

I agree, at least you should give the mountain bike a try in Madison. A lot of commuters have two bikes, a faster road type bike for good weather and a beater for rainy, slushy weather. In a place like Madison or Chicago you have to consider SALT too. All that salt on the road in winter really does a number on your components and paint job.

I am taking my Fuji road bike to Madison and I am building a Mercier fixed gear for more of an everyday townie bike.

biggrin.gif

Okay ill figure it out. My only hesitation with my old bike is it currently is not wokring for its full range of motion. I think it only uses 9 of the 18 gears. But thank you for the advice. I am used to being in an area where bikes would have never worked for commuting....half an hour to the nearest area by car.

I'd highly recommend for most of you to fall in line w/ the hipster crowd and simply go with a 'fixie' road bike. I've fixed bikes for years when I was younger. The more moving parts a bike has, the bigger pain in the ace it is to fix it. Fixing something simple like a chain popping can be a huge pain on a bike that has multiple speeds. A fixed cog will be fine for probably 90% of people simply using a bike to just commute and get around town.

Edited by fibonacci

I'd highly recommend for most of you to fall in line w/ the hipster crowd and simply go with a 'fixie' road bike. I've fixed bikes for years when I was younger. The more moving parts a bike has, the bigger pain in the ace it is to fix it. Fixing something simple like a chain popping can be a huge pain on a bike that has multiple speeds. A fixed cog will be fine for probably 90% of people simply using a bike to just commute and get around town.

If you are new to this, I'll advise you to get front brakes.

Agreed. Especially if you are going to live in a city like Madison with bad weather. You're much better off in the winter months with a sturdy, fixed gear bike than with some fancy 21 speed. Odds are you'll never use speeds 4-21 anyways. It's important to consider space limitations though; that's why I went with my folder. I can keep it in the corner in my apartment, store it in my cubicle at work, and take it on the train/bus with me without much of an issue. But much of what you gain in portability is lost in ease of riding.

I have been riding my new fixie for a couple of weeks now, and it is Amazing :) Very fun to ride.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good fixed gear bike? Is it possible / practical to put a rack on the thing?

I don't see why this wouldn't be a decent fixie bike for the average commuter (they even have one for short people):

http://www.amazon.co...07679311&sr=1-2

They have a red one with straight bars if you don't want to get all low and in a race position with the drop bars. For $300, you probably won't be able to find a 'good' bike per say anywhere. You'll have to get an old one off of ebay or craigslist if you want better quality. Spend $250 and then take it to the bike store to get it converted to a fixed gear bike. Just be aware with a fixed gear bike, the pedals constantly move, you can't stop pedaling. It takes some getting used to, you won't be able to coast before trying to stop. Like others are saying, however, it has the advantage that you'll be able to stop in bad weather by simply just resisting the way the pedals are moving with your feet. Brake pads can fail if your rims are wet and it is less maintenance.

Edit: here's one for $199 too and they have a 50 cm version:

http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sbs_sg_5

Edited by fibonacci

This is what I have: http://bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott_stripper.htm with upgraded wheels and front brake only. Some assembly is required, but nothing outrageous. It comes in sizes 44cm-63cm so that covers just about anyone. I have the 47cm. The frame is drilled for a rack. I was hesitant because "Cycles Mercier" is not affiliated with the classic French Mercier of the past. After reading great things about this model on bike forums, I decided to go for it, and I am really happy with it.