NSF GRFP

timuralp

So I got an email from the director again. He states that NSF GRFP funding has been allocated from the ARRA allowing for "some" (verbatim) additional awards, but that the overall spending plan is still pending congressional approval. That tells us that there will be awards, again not sure how many. Hopefully, some does not describe the exact amount (i.e. close to a handful maybe..=)).

Yeah, I came here to post the same thing. Got the email this morning, and frankly, the semester will be well over by the time I hear anything.

So did anyone else get an EMAIL from them stating "as of the morning..." I didn't get any email :!: Did this only happen to people who emailed them asking for an update :?:

Definitive word after i sent the director an email with the tripling link:

"Thanks for the reference. There are two things that are conflated in the GRF referenced. While the administration (and others) have argued for a tripling of the program, this will not happen this year and not off of ARRA funding. We will use some ARRA funding for additional fellowships this year (from applicants to the FY09 competition) and the actual funding mechanism will be parallel awards to the institutions that host GRF students. Each of the research directorates has a significant "education" portfolio within so one needs to be careful as to how additional fellowship funds are labeled. As to "substantial" increases, I cannot comment at this point since the negotiations are still not complete."

Very interesting.

So yea...i think i'm gonna stop posting here. I came to the realization that I'm not gonna get it and have since made decisions that reflect this (i.e. getting a job this summer instead of looking for research). The final number probably won't amount to much. its best to come to terms with this early (and either be pleasantly surprised instead of bitterly dissapointed).

So yea...i think i'm gonna stop posting here. I came to the realization that I'm not gonna get it and have since made decisions that reflect this (i.e. getting a job this summer instead of looking for research). The final number probably won't amount to much. its best to come to terms with this early (and either be pleasantly surprised instead of bitterly dissapointed).

I am thinking that's a very good idea. I'm going to plan for summer employment, and fight for a TA line at school, and pretend these past couple weeks are just a sweet dream. That way, no matter what happens and when, I won't be sorely disappointed. See, I was fine when I assumed my app would be rejected out of hand. It's nice to know that my proposal has merit, that it was well written, and that it came this close to being funded. There is no shame in an HM, and I will try not to be let down if I get one.

'NSF GRFP 2009'

A haiku by Higgins_the_Brave

knowing there's nothing,

in denial we refresh-

click click click click sigh.

*applause* brilliant! I would definitely include that in one of the essays for next time ;)...though hopefully you won't need a next time! Then you can just send it to NSF GRFP on a thank you card.

"

NSF Spending Plan for FY09 and ARRA approved by OMB, ARRA plan delivered to Congress. NSF expects to be able to move soon on funding actions11:43 AM Apr 20th from web

NSF National Science Fdn"

Congress = House of Representatives Committee on Science and Technology, Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight?

To join the naysayers, there is very little explicitly stated from nsf about spending arra funds on the grfp - even less in recent days.

The approximate timeframe for additional announcements is within the next two weeks.

As of the morning of Wednesday 22 April, we have no new information regarding the notification timeframe or the number of additional awards.

When did the original two weeks start? I'm confused . . .

The approximate timeframe for additional announcements is within the next two weeks.

As of the morning of Wednesday 22 April, we have no new information regarding the notification timeframe or the number of additional awards.

Well it's interesting they are updating this daily now. The '2 week' count started April 14, meaning the official 2 weeks from 1st posting will be April 28. Of course we all know this is not a strict deadline for NSF.