Depressing GRE Score...

vanasme

I took the GRE last weekend and I'm pretty upset with my scores... V470/Q730 (I haven't received my writing score, but I'll be surprised if I got lower than a 5). Although my quantitative score is high, my verbal score is abysmal... What's even worse is that I'm applying to History of Medicine (MA) programs that are highly competitive (there are only 4 worthwhile ones in the country) and with such a low verbal score, I'm sure my application won't even be looked at. I've always been a "math and science" person, but my interests lie in history, which is pretty unfortunate...

Anyways, I need to improve my verbal score and I need to improve FAST. I obviously have to take the GRE again and it looks like I'll have to take it at the end of November to get my scores in time to submit my applications. Do you have any tips or suggestions on how to improve my verbal score? I used Kaplan's and Princeton Review's prep books, but they obviously weren't enough... I also bought a stack of 500 "commonly" used vocab on the GRE, but I think I saw 1 of the 500 words I memorized...

ANY help is appreciated!!!

P.S. At the end of the test, it asked for me to state which Universities I would like my scores sent to and I *stupidly* entered the four schools I'm applying to... Is this going to effect my acceptance chances even though I'm taking the GRE again? I know that the universities would still see my first score, but I'm assuming it would have been better for me to send my second set of scores (assuming that they're an improvement)... any thoughts?

hm, I wonder if instead of trying to memorize a huge list of words you may or may not see on the actual test, it might not be better to memorize word roots instead and then try to deduce the meaning of the words from there? I'm not sure what the best approach would be for you of course, but I know that helped me. (the words they throw at you on there can be a little crazy; I have a good vocab and read constantly but there were words I'd never seen--I think the reason I did well is that I approached the questions logically rather than attempting to memorize words [i never bothered to study for the verbal part actually], which, given your strength in science/math might do well for you too: what do the roots in the word mean, does it bear any resemblance to words in other languages I know, which answer options are clearly wrong and can be crossed off? The more ways you can find to eliminate answer choices the better you'll be--better to guess from 2 choices than 5 naturally). A few sessions with a private tutor might not be bad either. I used to teach SAT prep and I firmly believe that one-on-one tutoring to target very specific issues can be effective, especially if there is a time issue.

Before you completely freak out, call the departments (or look on the websites...) for GRE info. Ask if they have certain expectations / what the averages of previous accepted students had, and see if you fit the range. If you fit the range, don't sweat it. It isn't the most important part of your application, and other parts of your application can make up for it (like writing sample).

my scores were similar. 480V, 800Q, 4.5AW.

i made the mistake of focusing almost entirely on memorizing all those stupid words and essentially ignored all the other parts of the verbal. if i were to do it again i'd focus a lot more on all the other sections while memorizing a few words here and there at the end of my study sessions.

however, i'm looking to go into an applied math program, so i dont think the verbal is important for me.

I probably studied 400 words and ended up with a 520v 650q. I kind of neglected the Q because I only got a 400v on the diagnostic. When you study enough words long enough you start learn the prefixes and roots anyway, but I'm going to specifically study them before I retake.

I also used this: http://www.amazon.com/Testbuster-GRE-Ge ... 229&sr=8-5

The software included has a crossword and a matching game (along with 3 practice tests and some speed reading program.) It comes with a fairly extensive dictionary but it allows you to make your own custom dictionary. What I did was I put every word in that I didn't know from the dictionary that came with the program and manually put in every word in from the Princeton Review. It was a long painstaking process but it made it a lot easier to study. Once you have all the words in you can learn from crossword puzzles and matching games, which I'll take any day of the week over flash cards.

Since you're probably sick to death of looking at flashcards with strange words on them, maybe you can try to pick up some test-taking strategies. I think I used the Princeton Review book in my GRE prep, and it had a few strategies to help you figure out how the test works, where they try to trick you into selecting the wrong answer, and how to eliminate incorrect answers so that if you have to guess you at least have a higher chance of getting the right one. Maybe you could focus on those. Also, I recommend taking as many practice tests as you can get your hands on.

Also, remember that the GRE isn't the only part of your application that will matter. As long as your application is strong in other areas, perhaps a low GRE verbal score will not matter so much. It also works in your favor that you were a hard science person before deciding to go the history route.

I'll just add my 2c. worth. If your score meets the minimum GRE criteria (if any) for schools to which you're applying, then you should be good. In my experience the GRE is used as a cut-off/filter type thing. So a bad GRE score can means your app probably won't be looked at, but conversely a great one doesn't mean they'll accept you.

I took the test and got a 540v, 660q, and 4.5W. Although my scores are fairly low for the programs I'm applying to (social sciences), I've decided not to re-take it this time around. I suppose it's a risk, but I'd like to think that doctoral admissions committees weigh research interest/background, references, and grades more than the GRE. But if I don't get admitted anywhere, I'll take another stab at the test...let's just hope they don't raise the fee again.

Maybe you just had a bad day and need to take it again sooner than later. If you want to study more, I think 800score.com is a great help: comprehensive lessons and several practice tests accompanied by an instantaneous score and feedback on the sections you need to focus on...plus, the price is right ($40). Good luck!

bummer. I was disappointed in my verbal score too and took it around the same time you did. In practice tests I was scoring MUCH higher. I think it is just the luck of the draw with what words you get. At least my Q was decent at 760.

Perhaps you can call ETS and ask if there are options to cancel your score reporting? I know that they take 10-15 days to send out the report...