Ford Foundation Fellowship

gracieh

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is this for the Ford 2009 Applications? If so, yes, I did apply. Judging from last year we have SIX more weeks to go before we find out!

When can we expect to hear back about the Fellowship? It would be great to know about outside funding before making decisions on offers. Heck, it would be nice to let the place where I'm currently waitlisted know if I get it prior to their final decision too.

Question: I applied for the Ford Pre- Fellowship, and it asked me to include my intended college. Well, I have not been admitted there, but I have been admitted to another program. Will it matter if I was not accepted to the "intended" program? Or, is that just a part of the application process--to see if I'm considering how my graduate program handles/fits my future.

Honestly, I do not think I will be receiving this fellowship, especially since I've received a flood of rejection letters from other, competitive programs. However, I must say--I'm glad that I did apply--I learned a lot about the process and how to craft a fellowship app, so I will try again next year if I do not win one this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Spoke to someone at the Ford Fellowship office today (April 1, 2009). I was told that notifications go out by mail during the 2nd week of April. I applied for the ford dissertation fellowship- anyone else?

Thanks for calling and providing the info. Three people from my school received Fords last year (two pre-doc and one for the dissertation) and they stated that their envelopes were dated Apr 4 and Apr 7.

I'm eager to hear about funding, but at least this wait isn't as agonizing as it was last year waiting to hear back about acceptances.

Best of luck, everyone!!

I am hoping for good news although like the above-poster, I was wait-listed at the school I had as my intended program. I've since accepted a great offer at Brown, and I wonder how this has affected Ford's decision-making process -- if I was ever in the running at all. I'll post the second I get something by mail. Will y'all?

Thanks

Hey all - I got a Ford Fellowship last year, and I mean this to be encouraging rather than disheartening: I didn't get my letter until April 16th. I don't remember when it was postmarked, and I lived about as far as you can get from D.C. while still on U.S. soil, so I suspect it was really postmarked a bit earlier than that and had a long transit time. But if you haven't heard by April early-th, don't despair - if I remember correctly, the notifications were still rolling in after the 16th as well (not counting the waitlist-pending-on-fellows-accepting-or-declining acceptances, which happened in, like, May). I wasn't waiting on a grad school decision when I applied (I was a second-year), so if you're feeling the April 15th crunch, I'm not sure what a good approach would be - maybe call and explain the situation?

For everyone's sake, I hope the notification is nice and early, of course! May you all get acceptance letters tomorrow, and may the mailman be early!

Although seriously dudes, why can't Ford let people know electronically, via a website or an email?...

(actually, scratch that thought. Have you SEEN the NSF GRFP board this year? Electronic notification might ultimately just cause more pain...)

I really hope people post when they get it. That way I can know to start working on a course syllabus for the fall. After re-reading my application materials in January, I don't think I have a chance. When the rejection comes, I'll definitely post it here.

I'll definitely post as soon as I get some kind of notification. I've really got my fingers crossed. I check my mailbox multiple times a day. The NSF thing is just ridiculous, but if it means I might have a better chance at it, then I'll wait however long it might take for them to publish the results. I guess that's easy for me to say as I'm not a grad school applicant, but a first year. Anyway, I'm just as anxious to hear about the Ford! Good luck to all!!

I just received the following email from the Ford Foundation:

Dear deipnosophistry: We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected as an awardee in the Ford Foundation Diversity Fellowship 2009 predoctoral competition. This fellowship is sponsored by the Ford Foundation and administered by the National Research Council of the National Academies. Your selection for this prestigious award reflects our review panelists