What do you think about Comcast internet?

Strangefox

I live near Philly, and in my apartment complex, there is no choice but Comcast for cable TV and internet, so i use them. The service isn't horrible. I've been able to call in and resolve problems I've had, and while the wait on the phone was often long, most of the time the people i've spoken to have been very nice (of course, I am not confrontational and this usually helps to get me nicer service). The pricing is horrific, though. I pay about $130 a month for cable and internet, and while I have a few movie channels (not like HBO or STARZ or anything that has good movies) and ondemand, I still feel like I'm getting ripped off somewhere (maybe because I used to get HBO before I moved and the changed their prices and now I don't have it and pay more?). Internet is slow, but not terribly so, granted, I don't play games or download much.

I too just found out that where I am moving I only have Comcast as an option. As much as I don't like it, I will sign up for and use it. and probably pay $130 for basic cable and medium slow internet. There are many Pros and Cons to Comcast. i will have my own modem and may buy my own DVR, which will help a bit. If cost wasn't an issue and I could max out my service with Comcast I'd probably love it. But since I can't, it is frustrating to pay $130 for sub-par services.

Strangefox, as much as I love your analytical thinking about East vs West Coast service, I'm afraid it isn't that simple. I think that it really depends on what city you are in and maybe even what neighborhood within that city. Sorry to burst that bubble :(

Looks like I'm going to be stuck with Comcast as well. Where I'm from (a developing country) I can get 100Mbs bandwidth for about what Comcast is charging for 50Mbs. Sigh.

One thing to keep in mind when sharing the connection over wifi without physical access to the modem and router is that sometimes one or both might need to be restarted and that could possibly be inconvenient if it happens when you're working at 2 am and your neighbor's asleep.

Another thing to consider if you plan on sharing wifi with a neighbor is to make sure they don't download any illegal stuff. Stories like this one make me want to get my own wifi service.

Strangefox, as much as I love your analytical thinking about East vs West Coast service, I'm afraid it isn't that simple. I think that it really depends on what city you are in and maybe even what neighborhood within that city. Sorry to burst that bubble :(

:(

I can only hope that I will live in the right area of the right city!

Another thing to consider if you plan on sharing wifi with a neighbor is to make sure they don't download any illegal stuff. Stories like this one make me want to get my own wifi service.

Terrible story :blink:

So if I get a modem with WiFi I must codify (cipher?) its signal? Has anybody here done that?

Terrible story :blink:

So if I get a modem with WiFi I must codify (cipher?) its signal? Has anybody here done that?

I think as long as you password protect it and don't share the password with anyone you don't trust, then you should be ok.

While you could get a modem with WiFi, I think the most common solution is to get a wireless router (2 seconds of googling alleges that it's also a cheaper option, but then again... 2 seconds).

The open vs secure wireless network debate has been going on for a while. I think the comments on Schneier's blog illustrate it pretty well - http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2011/04/security_risks_7.html. The argument for open wireless is that if someone breaks the encryption that the owner setup and gains access to the network (and is somewhat intelligent about it), there could be a load of circumstantial evidence pointing finger at the owner, while the signs that a third party accessed the information would be scarce or non-existent. In that case, it'd be even harder to prove that the owner did not break the law, even if the files are not found on his/her device.

While you could get a modem with WiFi, I think the most common solution is to get a wireless router (2 seconds of googling alleges that it's also a cheaper option, but then again... 2 seconds).

The open vs secure wireless network debate has been going on for a while. I think the comments on Schneier's blog illustrate it pretty well - http://www.schneier....y_risks_7.html. The argument for open wireless is that if someone breaks the encryption that the owner setup and gains access to the network (and is somewhat intelligent about it), there could be a load of circumstantial evidence pointing finger at the owner, while the signs that a third party accessed the information would be scarce or non-existent. In that case, it'd be even harder to prove that the owner did not break the law, even if the files are not found on his/her device.

Ok, WiFi vs. wireless router - could you explain the difference? The sad truth is that I know very little about modems :unsure:

I guess when I wrote that I want WiFi I meant wireless. I had asked a friend of a friend who works with computers and he recommended this modem: http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B002M3SJ6U

What do you think about it? It's the secure option you've described, when nobody can break the encryption, right?

Edited by Strangefox

Ok, WiFi vs. wireless router - could you explain the difference?

Well, WiFi is a collection of standards that describe wireless interaction. Wireless router is a device, which allows multiple machines to connect to the Internet connection (wired and wirelessly), while providing some additional functionality, such as a firewall.

I had asked a friend of a friend who works with computers and he recommended this modem: http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B002M3SJ6U

What do you think about it? It's the secure option you've described, when nobody can break the encryption, right?

The most common setup I've seen is to get a cable modem (on one end the wire from the cable company plugs in and on the other an Ethernet port) and then connect it to a wireless router. This may be changing and some of the modems, like the one you've found, have integrated wireless access points. Bottom line is that it will probably work fine. I would be cautious about "nobody can break the encryption", though. Someone with enough time on their hands and dedication could probably find a way to get the password, but the bar is raised high enough that most people would give up.

P.S. Sadly, I made a typo in the Schneier link. If anyone cares to read it, remove the period (.) at the end.

This may be changing and some of the modems, like the one you've found, have integrated wireless access points. Bottom line is that it will probably work fine. I would be cautious about "nobody can break the encryption", though. Someone with enough time on their hands and dedication could probably find a way to get the password, but the bar is raised high enough that most people would give up.

Thanks for the information! I will probably buy it, then :)

Comcast is the company that everyone around me seems to have (I'm in the Philadelphia suburbs), but no one actually seems to like the customer service and getting it set up has always been a headache, even for me. However, once it's set up, no one seems to have much to say unless something goes wrong. Our bill is pretty normal, but it depends on the package you have with them.

Comcast is the company that everyone around me seems to have (I'm in the Philadelphia suburbs), but no one actually seems to like the customer service and getting it set up has always been a headache, even for me. However, once it's set up, no one seems to have much to say unless something goes wrong. Our bill is pretty normal, but it depends on the package you have with them.

Getting it set up - you mean installing it in your apartment/house? Why is it a headache?

I've heard that customer service is bad. But my first encounter with Comcast was not bad at all. I used the Live Chat on their website several times and their assistants were super nice and helpful.

Getting it set up - you mean installing it in your apartment/house? Why is it a headache?

I've heard that customer service is bad. But my first encounter with Comcast was not bad at all. I used the Live Chat on their website several times and their assistants were super nice and helpful.

I'm currently moving into an off-campus apartment and so far my experience has been less than ideal if only for the reason that the woman that they keep putting me in touch with doesn't seem to actually understand how an internet connection works and they get snippy when you try and ask questions. A know a family in the same area who had a similar experience, so it could be a local problem out here in Philadelphia. I'm still moving in so I don't have internet yet there, but I know other people with Comcast and, despite the generally abysmal customer service, the actual product doesn't seem to pose any problems. That I know of, of course.

I'm currently moving into an off-campus apartment and so far my experience has been less than ideal if only for the reason that the woman that they keep putting me in touch with doesn't seem to actually understand how an internet connection works and they get snippy when you try and ask questions. A know a family in the same area who had a similar experience, so it could be a local problem out here in Philadelphia. I'm still moving in so I don't have internet yet there, but I know other people with Comcast and, despite the generally abysmal customer service, the actual product doesn't seem to pose any problems. That I know of, of course.

Snippy, eh? :huh: I thought in the US all customer service people are polite....

Snippy, eh? :huh: I thought in the US all customer service people are polite....

Hahaha if only! Both my roommate and I got in touch with our local Comcast representatives and had the same experience. Frankly, so long as my internet works I don't really care how nice they are, but it hasn't been an inspiring process thus far. We'll see how it goes when installation time rolls around...

Well, whether they are polite or not is kind of a crap-shoot. The problem is that the person that you speak to doesn't have the knowledge or authority to help with your problem. They don' seem to have much technical training and seem to be working through a script that they are provided when you present a problem. OR, if your issue has to do with your account you will need to be transferred about 10 times before you get to someone who can do something about it. The easiest thing to do with comcast is cancel your service.

Well, whether they are polite or not is kind of a crap-shoot. The problem is that the person that you speak to doesn't have the knowledge or authority to help with your problem. They don' seem to have much technical training and seem to be working through a script that they are provided when you present a problem. OR, if your issue has to do with your account you will need to be transferred about 10 times before you get to someone who can do something about it. The easiest thing to do with comcast is cancel your service.

I wonder if when you are calling them it is a free line, I mean you won't have to pay for the call, even if they transfer you 10 times...

I wonder if when you are calling them it is a free line, I mean you won't have to pay for the call, even if they transfer you 10 times...

Yes, generally it is a 800 or 888 number, so it is a free line. But it is also a big pain in the a$$.