Apply 2012!

Francophile1

Hello,

I am an applicant for 2012 and would like to hear from future other applicants..especially if you are applying in the field of Comp. Lit/Lit general. Also any applicants with kids out there?

I will apply this fall, too. Have you already decided to which universities you're going to apply? I'm not all set yet, but have quite a few favorites in the NY area. :)

I will apply this fall, too. Have you already decided to which universities you're going to apply? I'm not all set yet, but have quite a few favorites in the NY area. :)

Hi!

Yes, I have a long list all over the US...what are some of the schools you're interested in NY area?

Hi!

Yes, I have a long list all over the US...what are some of the schools you're interested in NY area?

NYU and Columbia are the ones that most grab my attention. How about you? And will you be applying to Comp. Lit. solely, or Lit. in general, too?

NYU and Columbia are the ones that most grab my attention. How about you? And will you be applying to Comp. Lit. solely, or Lit. in general, too?

Yes, Columbia definitely!...I was also thinking CUNY..up there as well.

What is your specialization, research interests?

By the way did you already take the GRE's?

Yes, Columbia definitely!...I was also thinking CUNY..up there as well.

What is your specialization, research interests?

By the way did you already take the GRE's?

I have heard lots of good things about CUNY as well.

I'm especially interested in postcolonial Lit./ Caribbean, US Latino, diaspora discourse. And you?

About the GRE, I'll take it on July 18th. Still a month left to study but I'm nervous already.

I have heard lots of good things about CUNY as well.

I'm especially interested in postcolonial Lit./ Caribbean, US Latino, diaspora discourse. And you?

About the GRE, I'll take it on July 18th. Still a month left to study but I'm nervous already.

Ah ok...me women studies, especially french, british, russian writers

How many programs are you planning to apply to? I have 20 so far!

Ah ok...me women studies, especially french, british, russian writers

How many programs are you planning to apply to? I have 20 so far!

That sounds interesting. :)

Wow, 20 programs is a lot. I think I can only afford to apply to 5 or so.

Since my entire family lives in Germany, I also limit myself to apply to 'East Coast universities'.

That sounds interesting. :)

Wow, 20 programs is a lot. I think I can only afford to apply to 5 or so.

Since my entire family lives in Germany, I also limit myself to apply to 'East Coast universities'.

Well good luck and let me know how the process goes for you!

Hi there everyone!

I'm applying for neuroscience programs in the US for fall 2012. I applied for 2011 but it didn't work out, so I'm trying again. Any neuroscience applicants out there?

Last time I only applied to 4 programs, this time I'm aiming for at least 5-10. I've only decided on 2 of them. I'm still searching for others!

I've narrowed down my list of schools to 6-7 and in the process of contacting potential PIs. Already tired of the waiting.

Did you really start contacting POIs from now? I've heard that usually people wait till September when the professors return fresh from their summer breaks and its the beginning of a new academic year. Are you getting any positive replies?

Good luck everyone!

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Edited by PhD Pharmacist

Hi there everyone!

Did you really start contacting POIs from now? I've heard that usually people wait till September when the professors return fresh from their summer breaks and its the beginning of a new academic year. Are you getting any positive replies?

Good luck everyone!

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

My advisors/mentors at my undergrad all suggested that I get started contacting around May/June. I've gotten a reply from 95% of the POIs I've emailed. Of them, I had 2 phone conversations, one with a POI from my number 1 choice school. I've also met one prospective PI at a conference in May. one or two mentioned that I was a bit early but then said I would stick out to them as having myself organized and interested ahead of the game.

First of all, rpm225: The contacts you have established with your POIs sound great.

And I can relate to what you said about being tired of waiting already. I wish it was March/April 2012 right now.

I wonder if potential humanities/lit prospects like me should be contacting proffs. too or not?

I contacted one POI thus far. One of her works was published in an online journal but each time I try to access it, I receive error messages.

So, I decided to write her a brief, polite e-mail. Haven't heard back since. Though I don't take it as a bad sign...I know she is a very well-respected, busy person - I understand if it takes time to get back. Actually, one of my former profs always let's one or two weeks pass until she writes back, but once she writes back, I receive an entire BOOK. ;) And she always mentions that I'm only an e-mail away from her. My hopes are that this is the case with my POI as well.

However, I only contacted this specific POI because I can't read her article. I won't contact other POI's until around September, I guess.

Edited by Boricua

Hello! I'm another 2012 applicant. I'm applying primarily to clinical psychology and cognitive affective or behavioral neuroscience programs, with one developmental psych program thrown in there. I have been in touch with my top choice POI over email for a few months, and actually had the pleasure of meeting him for drinks a few weeks ago. He's invited me to come and do some summer research in his lab, which is just thrilling beyond all words. I also have met another of my POIs as he's a good friend of one of my current PIs, though it was in a group setting so I doubt he'd remember me. Other than that, haven't sent out any emails yet. Emailing early seems like a risk -- either you make a good impression early and they remember you, or you email too early and they forget.

Edited by gellert

My advisors/mentors at my undergrad all suggested that I get started contacting around May/June. I've gotten a reply from 95% of the POIs I've emailed. Of them, I had 2 phone conversations, one with a POI from my number 1 choice school. I've also met one prospective PI at a conference in May. one or two mentioned that I was a bit early but then said I would stick out to them as having myself organized and interested ahead of the game.

Good for you! I think what I'll do now is decide which PI's I want to e-mail and draft the e-mails out until at least late August.

Emailing early seems like a risk -- either you make a good impression early and they remember you, or you email too early and they forget.

That's why I thought I should wait for a while. I'm afraid they'll forget by the time application time comes!

I'm currently preparing to retake the GRE (I'm hoping to get a higher score than last year's), and also to take a subject GRE (biology).

Edited by PhD Pharmacist

Another 2012 applicant, here. I failed to get in last year and after re-taking the GRE I'm not too hopeful about this time around, but I'm taking some grad-level classes to try to make up for it. I've heard mixed opinions about contacting PIs. None of the grad students I know did it, but I've been reading a lot of advice about doing so lately, so I'm undecided.

I'm looking to apply in the Fall for some sort of Computational Biochemistry program. I feel way behind you guys, haha. I've looked at the pages of various schools I'm interested, and looked through their faculty trying to find a good fit, but it's a bit overwhelming at the moment. I'm hoping to talk to my research professor to see if I can get pointed toward a few to narrow it down a bit.

And I signed up for the GREs for this Fall -- get to take the wonderful newly designed GRE! Either way, at least my senior year course load is lighter than previous semesters, so I shouldn't be too burdened.

I'm looking to apply in the Fall for some sort of Computational Biochemistry program. I feel way behind you guys, haha. I've looked at the pages of various schools I'm interested, and looked through their faculty trying to find a good fit, but it's a bit overwhelming at the moment. I'm hoping to talk to my research professor to see if I can get pointed toward a few to narrow it down a bit.

And I signed up for the GREs for this Fall -- get to take the wonderful newly designed GRE! Either way, at least my senior year course load is lighter than previous semesters, so I shouldn't be too burdened.

Hi, welcome!

How are you planning to study for the verbal section of the new GRE? I am just a bit confused if we are still supposed to memorize vocabulary lists or not?

Hi! I'm also applying this fall--for international/comparative ed types of Master's degrees. Everybody sounds so organized! I'm getting ready to take the GRE in September and gathering lots of information about schools and professors and trying to figure out who to ask for LORs.

About word lists--I'm going through Barron's 800 words and memorizing the ones I don't know. It's supposed to be less important, but there are still those sentence completions and all, and I don't want to be tripped up just from not knowing a word...

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey :)

I'm applying for fall 2012 MA Archaeology programs... I am, as my username shows, nervous but excited to apply. haha.

I'm about to take my GREs for the first time on the 20th of this month. Then I have already scheduled to take it again at the end of September.

Have you guys taken your GREs yet?

Have you guys taken your GREs yet?

Took them on the 30th! They're not all that bad. I actually found I was really relaxed by the time I actually sat down at the computer and started going through the directions. My mind sort of went clear. I think a lot of the GREs depend on being able to not panic or overanalyze whether a question is easy or difficult.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am also applying for the Fall 2012 in molecular biology or biochemistry. I have not narrowed down my lists of school? Does any one know of good molecular biology or biochemistry program out there besides Stanford and Berkeley?