Wait Listed for Super Cool Class

Because of a hold on my account, I'm on a wait list for a class that I really (I mean really) wanted to take next semester. The class was originally capped at 13 students but was bumped up to 15... and I'm number 16. Do you think I should contact the professor and see if he'll let me register, or just wait it out and hope someone drops?

Because of a hold on my account, I'm on a wait list for a class that I really (I mean really) wanted to take next semester. The class was originally capped at 13 students but was bumped up to 15... and I'm number 16. Do you think I should contact the professor and see if he'll let me register, or just wait it out and hope someone drops?

Go ahead and contact them... You don't know what'll happen unless you ask!

Edited by hejduk

I agree. Wait awhile and keep an eye on it. If no one drops, then email the professor. A lot of times, professors will gladly override your enrollment in their course. Unless there is some reason the class size must be kept at a certain number. For example, some courses require equipment and the number available could be limited.

My MO with this situation in undergrad was to show up to the class first day, and meet with the professor after class. That way he/she knew that I was serious and also they know that you'll be a good student in class. Also, this is a good way to see if the class is indeed full or if it looks like someone will drop. Additionally, it seems to help a lot if you are involved in that first class, so the Prof. wants you in the class to keep up a good discussion. This is also a good way to make a great first impression.