Worthy applicant for PhD programs in Social Psych?

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some feedback on whether my credentials are up to par for admission into some PhD programs in social psychology.

Overall GPA: 3.88

Major GPA: 4.00

GRE Verbal: 540

GRE Quantitative: 730

-Teaching Assistant for 2 courses: Research Methods I and Personality Theory

-Internship with Health Education Office

-Research for 3 semesters designing and implementing a study that examined how anonymity influences deviant behavior in cyberspace

-Presenter at the annual research show for two projects - one of which was a finalist and one that received a grant from the foundation of student research and creativity

-Resident Advisor for 3 semesters helping 40 freshmen students assimilate into college life

-Campus tour guide for 5 semesters

-Psychology club member

-Former vice president of the Gender Equality and Rights Society (GEARS)

-Member of CHOICES - the Health Education Club

I know that LoRs and the SoP also bear a tremendous amount of influence in admissions decisions, but based on the above info do you think that getting into a phD program straight out of undergrad is unlikely or is it worth the time, money, and effort to apply?

I'd rather just apply to master's programs if hoping to get into a phD program is unrealistic.

As an addendum, it may help to know the caliber of the programs I am applying to...

I was considering applying to the following phD programs:

UCLA

UC Irvine

UC Riverside

SUNY Albany

University at Buffalo

Syracuse University

Stony Brook

Cornell

Your GRE and GPA are very good. Extra curricular activities in general do not carry much weight for grad school admissions but the one's you listed look fine.

Did you only work on two research projects in your undergrad? Research experience seems to be the most important factor so if you only worked on a couple projects, you might be a little thin as you'll be competing against people who have much more research experience.

The LORs and PS's are also super important but hard to quantify. Just make sure you apply to schools that match your research interests.

Yes, if you really want to get a PhD then by all means apply this year. You can apply to masters programs and PhD's. It's hard to go strait to undergrad to grad school but it's possible (i did it!). Grad school admissions have so much variability though. Based on your stats I think you have a decent chance but chances are so hard to gauge!

Edited by neuropsych76

Don't take my word for it, but I have heard from fellow undergrads, masters students, PhDs, profs that listing IRRELEVANT experience (i.e. resident adviser, campus tour guide, GEARS, CHOICES, maybe internship with health educ office?) can actually be detrimental to your app

Maybe if someone else could confirm or disconfirm this this would be good

I think everything else looks pretty good! Best of luck in your upcoming app season, psycOneonta89.

Have you finished your bachelors? If so are you going to be doing research over 2011/2012? That would also help, I think.

Research, presenting/publishing... you know the drill.

Your GRE and GPA are very good. Extra curricular activities in general do not carry much weight for grad school admissions but the one's you listed look fine.

Did you only work on two research projects in your undergrad? Research experience seems to be the most important factor so if you only worked on a couple projects, you might be a little thin as you'll be competing against people who have much more research experience.

The LORs and PS's are also super important but hard to quantify. Just make sure you apply to schools that match your research interests.

Yes, if you really want to get a PhD then by all means apply this year. You can apply to masters programs and PhD's. It's hard to go strait to undergrad to grad school but it's possible (i did it!). Grad school admissions have so much variability though. Based on your stats I think you have a decent chance but chances are so hard to gauge!

Don't take my word for it, but I have heard from fellow undergrads, masters students, PhDs, profs that listing IRRELEVANT experience (i.e. resident adviser, campus tour guide, GEARS, CHOICES, maybe internship with health educ office?) can actually be detrimental to your app

Maybe if someone else could confirm or disconfirm this this would be good

I think just listing it on a CV is fine but I agree that dwelling on irrelevant experience in a personal statement or interview could be detrimental.

I think just listing it on a CV is fine but I agree that dwelling on irrelevant experience in a personal statement or interview could be detrimental.

It would look like CV padding (to me at least) if someone were to include those items.

It would look like CV padding (to me at least) if someone were to include those items.

It's probably going to vary by each school/professor who sees it. Some may like the extra items, some might think it's CV padding. I have a "leadership & activities" heading on my CV which has some irrelevant stuff to psych but no one cared. At some interviews some profs actually liked how I was was in some geeky clubs.

Verbal GRE seems a bit low to me, but probably won't matter if you can write well.

Can you submit your research project to a national conference? I think having something accepted at a conference outside of your school (I'm guessing the presentation you listed was a school event?) would go a long way. Are you currently a student? Can you get more research experience and get on another presentation also?

Probably best to contact the professors you are interested in working with and ask if they are accepting grad students. They might suggest a phone call, and if so, they'd give you a better idea of your chances at their institution.

Good luck!