NSF GRFP 2011-2012

alexhunterlang

OH MY GOD ACCEPTED. I can't believe it. I'm crying and shaking. Wow, it's a pure miracle.

My only worry now is about where I'm choosing to attend graduate school. The school I put on my application is different from the school that I'll be accepting an offer from, and the field of study is also different. Has anyone run into issues with this before...? :-/

OH MY GOD ACCEPTED. I can't believe it. I'm crying and shaking. Wow, it's a pure miracle.

My only worry now is about where I'm choosing to attend graduate school. The school I put on my application is different from the school that I'll be accepting an offer from, and the field of study is also different. Has anyone run into issues with this before...? :-/

it isn't a problem, people go to other programs than they specified on their application all the time

Well, see everyone next year and congrats to everyone that got an award. Tomorrow begins the therapeutic 2012-13 NSF essay writing experience.

Well... I got an honorable mention. :) While there's no cash, I'm pretty damn happy about it. I'm the only person in social psychology to get on either the HM list or the awards list in all of Texas -- something to be stoked about, I suppose. And, seeing that everyone else in social psych on both lists is from pretty much all the huge name institutions, I feel good about representing a smaller school that's not exactly known to be a power house in psychology (though, in my opinion, we have some real top-notch faculty). I'll really beef up my application next year! A toast to all. Cheers!

it isn't a problem, people go to other programs than they specified on their application all the time

Well, see everyone next year and congrats to everyone that got an award. Tomorrow begins the therapeutic 2012-13 NSF essay writing experience.

Yeah, I've heard about people going to programs other than the institution they put on their application, but what about changing their field of study (I applied in personality psychology and plan to attend a clinical psychology program... :-/ Although this year they did broaden their umbrella for "eligible" clinical psychology proposals per pressure from Congress...) Thoughts?

Yeah, I've heard about people going to programs other than the institution they put on their application, but what about changing their field of study (I applied in personality psychology and plan to attend a clinical psychology program... :-/ Although this year they did broaden their umbrella for "eligible" clinical psychology proposals per pressure from Congress...) Thoughts?

sorry not sure about that. i would assume if you're still doing a psychology field, you're in good shape.

can't decide if i should be happy with an HM. i do have next year left, so that's cool.

...I can't believe it. I keep expecting to get a retraction email like "Ooops! System error! We sent that to you by mistake!" I wonder when I'll believe it enough to tell my advisor and letter writers...

Whatever reality is, congrats to those that got one, wishes of funding to everyone else and good luck to those trying next year. I got completely rejected last year and it certainly helped me this year.

i'm a longtime lurker on TGC, just wanted to say thanks to everyone on these boards for all the info/tips/help I've gotten over this nsf application cycle and last year when I was applying to grad schools

I got the nsf(!) in no small part to all of you guys!

Got an HM... I know it's an honor to get one, but it doesn't come with any conciliatory prize money, which I really need. And now I get to go through the grueling process again. Really curious about the review sheets.

Honorable Mention.

What were those "it'll be ok" mantras again?

Oh yeah:

• 1 more year left to apply (know what I'll be doing this summer)
  • I'm in an MA program, at least I can put HM on my doctoral program apps
  • With more time in school, I've developed new interests - now I can write a proposal more in line with my thesis
  • I'll be more competitive next year - my grad school GPA is way better than my undergrad GPA (yay sobriety), plus I've got a publication and 2 presentations under my belt
  • I now have grad school professors to get refs from

Maybe next year is the year I can walk out of my job with middle fingers extended.

For now, I can say that getting the HM gives me a lot more confidence to keep going in my grad career and apply to doctoral programs.

Gave up last night and went to bed...woke up early for a departmental review session and Honorable Mention again... Congrats to all HM and awardees!

Looks like I missed the party last night :P

Checked my email this morning and found an award letter. Huge shock.

Curious about my reviews now... I wonder if any reviewers commented on the last-minute stream of consciousness that was my personal essay.

I know platitudes don't help, but congrats to everyone who made it through this long, crappy process!

OMG. Completely caught off guard! I applied last year and I was expecting news in early April! Currently in Rome ... was checking my email ... checked the spam folder and saw this interesting NSF GRFP subject header. Knowing the tricks of the grade, I logged into Fastlane first b/c it would say "Dear Fellow" if you got it ... well ... that's what it said! To all those who still have a few chances, apply again! AND if you apply for some other prestigious fellowship like Fulbright, Mitchell, etc, I think it definitely helps your chances. As my German professor told me, "Money breeds money".