NSF GRFP 2011-2012

alexhunterlang

Not that it's too important, but for future years, the rejection email was titled:

2012 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program Notification

I had the same subject title for my offer.

Well, I did what I said I would do and went to bed early last night, a little before midnight.

Reading back through the log of posts in this topic is fun and makes me glad I went to bed early to avoid participating in all the nervous obsession myself (which I totally did here last year) :P

I woke up a couple of times during the night and checked my email from my phone (which I keep by my bed). The first was 2 or 2:30 and there was nothing. Then when I woke up at 4 or 4:30 I looked... and found an offer! Quite happy, especially since this is the last year I was eligible. It was a little (but not too) difficult getting back to sleep after that (and I waited until just now to forward the news to my advisor so he wouldn't think I were a freak :P).

Kudos to all others that won, and my condolences to those that didn't.

Not that it's too important, but for future years, the rejection email was titled:

2012 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program Notification

I had the same subject title for my offer.

Yeah, the subject lines, at least this year, were all the same. When I saw the subject line my heart sank a little because I thought I remembered that last year the rejection emails had a distinctly vague subject line while the offer emails had a slightly positive tone in the subject. Maybe I'm making that up though.

Anyway, for anyone that does this next year, do yourself a favor and just go to bed early the night of the suspicious maintenance :)

I was surprised to wake up to an offer email as well!

schoolpsych_hopeful, I would certainly reapply next year even if you did not get an HM this year. Familiarity with the application expectations and the reviewers' comments will probably make your application substantially better next time around.

• Got an HM during first year of grad school.
  • Revised essays, and added parts to strengthen essays according to reviewer comments.
  • Got nothing this time as 2nd year (last year eligible)

I think the criteria is more rigorous for 2nd year students and of course more competitive as you need to prove how productive you are during your first year.

Edited by illini2015

Does anyone know how to access the reviewer comments?

As the email said, they'll be available in 3 business days. A link will show up on the homepage after you log in to Fastlane. Nothing there to see yet.

Nothing for me as well.

As the email said, they'll be available in 3 business days. A link will show up on the homepage after you log in to Fastlane. Nothing there to see yet.

Nothing for me as well.

Thanks. I didin't get an email. I just checked online and found that I got an HM

I was busy last night and totally forgot to check this thread before I went to bed. I'm kind of glad I did, because it would've stressed me out, haha.

But I woke up this morning to a congrats text from someone else in my program and I was like...what for? Then when I checked my email I saw the offer! Very exciting.

As many others have stated, I was in disbelief when I checked my email this morning and found I had received an award. I'm a 2nd year graduate student, didn't even get an HM when I applied last year, and was discouraged by the email title... and then the good news! So no, for those of you still eligible to apply next year, I would not give up just because you didn't get an HM this year. In my case, I was crushed last year when I got really negative feedback from one reviewer and it motivated me to start rewriting my essays as soon and I saw the reviewer comments. My scientific interests also matured during that year and all together I think I was able to assemble a more compelling application my second go-around. So congratulations to all of you for having the guts to put yourself out there, and even if you don't get the award this year it is a valuable experience that will put you at an advantage next time you apply for anything.

Also, I was glad that last night when I got home the internet was out (it's spotty at our house). Personally, I feel these things are better faced on a full night's sleep. Incredibly lucky also that the other person from my cohort who tried for this also got it. No need to feel too guilty.

As many others have stated, I was in disbelief when I checked my email this morning and found I had received an award. I'm a 2nd year graduate student, didn't even get an HM when I applied last year, and was discouraged by the email title... and then the good news! So no, for those of you still eligible to apply next year, I would not give up just because you didn't get an HM this year. In my case, I was crushed last year when I got really negative feedback from one reviewer and it motivated me to start rewriting my essays as soon and I saw the reviewer comments. My scientific interests also matured during that year and all together I think I was able to assemble a more compelling application my second go-around. So congratulations to all of you for having the guts to put yourself out there, and even if you don't get the award this year it is a valuable experience that will put you at an advantage next time you apply for anything.

Also, I was glad that last night when I got home the internet was out (it's spotty at our house). Personally, I feel these things are better faced on a full night's sleep. Incredibly lucky also that the other person from my cohort who tried for this also got it. No need to feel too guilty.

As as 2nd year grad student who also applied last year with nothing, and an offer now, I agree. My reviewers last year were actually quite constructive with their criticisms and positive with comments. They basically dinged me on Broader Impacts. I'd say the two things I really beefed up in my essays were: (1) Broader Impacts. I literally had a section of broader impacts in each of the three essays. While in the PS and previous research essays, I didn't label "Broader Impacts", they were definitely there ... they probably made up at least 1/3 of each essay. (2) I increased the methodology section of my research statement. I listed each one step by step with numbers.

I'd have to say that readers really like things organized and labeled with clearly defined sections. But also, every year is a crapshoot with the reviewers. Two folks may like your app, then a third really hates it. I got that with EPA STAR last year. One guy put my app in the top 10%, another was like, "this isn't a problem anymore". Keep applying! It never hurts!

Edited by crimsonengineer87

Arrrrrrgh!! No go this year, now I wait for the reviews. Dang! You know, looking back, I knew my app was not ready, I was so green!

There is still next year for me and my research interests have changed and become more fleshed out in those few months since I applied :)

Congrats to everyone who got and award and honorable mention - y'all are rockstars!!!

Ugh honorable mention... I made the mistake of hoping too much that I would get this (which is kind of silly since I don't really need the funding and I knew my application was far from perfect, especially in regards to broader impact), so it was rather painful when I saw the decision last night. Oh well, at least there's still still next year.

Anyone have any idea how likely it is to get nothing your first year applying (no award or HM), and then get an award your second year? I guess I'm feeling like my chances are crap next year if I didn't even get an HM this year.

This is my second year and last year I didn't get an honorable mention or anything either. My essays last year were also sloppily prepared and I didn't get any feedback from anyone before submitting. Spend this year coming up with ways to do community outreach of any and all kinds, especially connected to science and your research or field. I mean, I didn't spend a lot of time on those things this past year but my advisor and I came up with some great things to do in preparation for the application.

I think the criteria is more rigorous for 2nd year students and of course more competitive as you need to prove how productive you are during your first year.

On one hand, you have more expected of you, but on the other hand, they divide the awards evenly among the three groups (senior undergrads, 1st year PhDs, 2nd year PhDs), and you can imagine that the pool of applicants only gets smaller from first year of PhD to second. So as long as you're performing at least as well as some model of a "baseline graduate student" in your area, your chances might actually be better in the second year than in your first. My only publication since last year's application was a single conference paper on which I was only third author after my prof (first author) and another student (admittedly it was a very good conference, and my field values conference papers above all else).

I do have a question, though: I was offered an award in cultural anthropology, but the program I'll be attending this year is actually a sociology program. I've heard that you can change your project focus, but I assume it's not quite as easy to change your entire award area...

1st year and got an HM. I know I'm supposed to be happy but I'm feeling let down. Ugh... Left gradcafe and went to sleep around 1am because I didn't want to see it, woke up early this morning knowing that it would be in my inbox. In my half sleep state, I read the subject header and knew it was a no go. Maybe I'll have better luck next year! Congrats everyone!

I am in absolute shock! I am a second year grad student and I got an award!

After getting a rejection last year from NASA fellowship and a rejection this year from Fulbright already, I am so happy to finally get this validation of my hard work!

Congrats to others and to those not successful this time, do not give up! Take the reviewers critiques to heart and try try again!

I do have a question, though: I was offered an award in cultural anthropology, but the program I'll be attending this year is actually a sociology program. I've heard that you can change your project focus, but I assume it's not quite as easy to change your entire award area...

I have read in a few places now that you can change your minor but not your major focus of study (well you can make changes across the board it is just harder to do. Here are some FAQs I found on the website:

CHANGES IN FIELD OF STUDY (FOS), DEGREE PLAN, OR RESEARCH PLAN

50. What is a major versus minor field of study (FOS)?

For GRFP purposes, the major FOS are Chemistry; Computer And Information Science And Engineering; Engineering; Geosciences; Life Sciences; Mathematical Sciences; Physics And Astronomy; Psychology; Social Sciences; and STEM Education and Learning Research. The minor FOS are the listings under each heading. Generally in policy documents, major FOS are the bolded and capitalized headings and minor FOS are listings under each heading.

50. I am a new Fellow, and in my application I indicated I would be pursuing a degree in physics (major FOS); may I now change to a degree program in environmental economics (major FOS)?

No. Acceptance of the Fellowship is an explicit agreement that the Fellow will be duly enrolled in an NSF-approved graduate degree program in the FOS indicated in the application. Given that applications are reviewed in the context of disciplinary norms, major FOS changes are not permitted.

51. I am a new Fellow, and in my application I indicated I would be pursuing a degree in particle physics (minor FOS); may I now change to a degree program in nuclear physics (minor FOS)?

This is a minor FOS change and is subject to the approval of the CO, using the GRFP FastLane Module.

Hope this is helpful.

Hi All!

Congratulations to those deserving!

I have a couple of questions:

-does anyone know why the total number of awards this year went down from last year. It appears that there were 2077 awards last year, but only 2000 this year. I thought the total number of awards was supposed to increase?

-also, is anyone familiar with what had happened last year...i know of at least two people who initially received HMs, but their awards were later converted to the full award. how does that work? would you only know that when it happened or do those that are being considered receive some sort of a unique email?

Thanks.

Edited by cardinal2011

Anyone have any idea how likely it is to get nothing your first year applying (no award or HM), and then get an award your second year? I guess I'm feeling like my chances are crap next year if I didn't even get an HM this year.

I too received nothing last year, but got an award this year (I graduated with my B.A. last June and will be attending my first year of grad school this Fall). My reviewer comments last year really helped, in that I made major adjustments to my essays based upon them.