HELP! GRAD SCHOOL CHANCES

ivyworm

Before I came to this forum site, I thought I was a shoe-in for graduate school. Then I started seeing posts from people with concerns that they would not get into graduate school with a 3.9 GPA and a 1310 on their GRE. I mean, are those people doing it to fish for some compliments? Do they just need further validation that they are beyond brilliant? If you ask me, they're hateful. In any case, those posts brought me a lot of unease, so i'm turning to you guys for help. WHAT ARE MY CHANCES FOR GETTING INTO A PHD PROGRAM? I graduated from the University of Miami (Rank: 45) with a 3.68 GPA. I did research for nearly two years in a Chemistry lab and am currently doing a post-bac research education program for a year at the University of Kansas in molecular biosciences. I should be getting excellent recommendation letters from both my research PI's and one from a faculty member who is very well known in the sciences. I taught chemistry labs at my school for one year and held several leadership positions in school clubs. I also worked during college and volunteered at a local children's hospital. I have not yet taken the GRE but will be in August. Pending the results of that exam, which I hope will be up to par, what are my chances of getting into a GOOD program in Cellular & Molecular Biology? The schools I WAS looking at are: Stanford University, University of Michigan, University of Chicago ,Vanderbilt, University of Alabama, University of Maryland, University of Connecticut, University of Kansas, and NYU. I know the schools are somewhat ambitious, but again, I thought I was a shoe-in for graduate school. HELP!!!!

OH, AND I'M A MINORITY (IF THAT HELPS, LOL)

Edited by jtamayo

Before I came to this forum site, I thought I was a shoe-in for graduate school. Then I started seeing posts from people with concerns that they would not get into graduate school with a 3.9 GPA and a 1310 on their GRE. I mean, are those people doing it to fish for some compliments? Do they just need further validation that they are beyond brilliant? If you ask me, they're hateful. In any case, those posts brought me a lot of unease, so i'm turning to you guys for help. WHAT ARE MY CHANCES FOR GETTING INTO A PHD PROGRAM? I graduated from the University of Miami (Rank: 45) with a 3.68 GPA. I did research for nearly two years in a Chemistry lab and am currently doing a post-bac research education program for a year at the University of Kansas in molecular biosciences. I should be getting excellent recommendation letters from both my research PI's and one from a faculty member who is very well known in the sciences. I taught chemistry labs at my school for one year and held several leadership positions in school clubs. I also worked during college and volunteered at a local children's hospital. I have not yet taken the GRE but will be in August. Pending the results of that exam, which I hope will be up to par, what are my chances of getting into a GOOD program in Cellular & Molecular Biology? The schools I WAS looking at are: Stanford University, University of Michigan, University of Chicago ,Vanderbilt, University of Alabama, University of Maryland, University of Connecticut, University of Kansas, and NYU. I know the schools are somewhat ambitious, but again, I thought I was a shoe-in for graduate school. HELP!!!!

OH, AND I'M A MINORITY (IF THAT HELPS, LOL)

Let me answer with a hypothetical. I am the world's smartest woman and I can determine with 100% accuracy from the information that you provided that the chance of getting into the program of your choice is 68%. Now, armed with that information how is your behavior going to change? If you are a rational person this information should not change your behavior. You would still try the hardest you could to write the essays, pay the fees, and do all of the work it takes to get into any graduate program. Now, let's flip the problem. Let's say that I tell you your chance of getting into the program of your choice is 32%. Would that change your behavior? Would you give up or would you try harder? You still have a 32% chance of getting in and if you are truly dedicated then you should be willing to take those chances. Now, this is a choice you could make if you had the information, but you don't. I'm not the world's smartest woman (2nd smartest, lol :P) and I can't tell you. No one on this forum can tell you what your chances are, and nobody told us, either. You have to decide whether you want it bad enough, and if you do you can summon the strength and courage that it takes. You have the answer, not anybody on this forum. I hope this helps.

Look, I think it's fair to say that some people here who have been through it already and who are in a similar field can offer up some advice and encouragement when it comes to the "what are my chances" question. We might be able to tell you that you are competitive because your stats are on par with the program's averages or higher, we might be able to tell you what your weaknesses are such as lack of relevant work/research experience, or that you most likely have no chance because this number or that number is just too far below any general cutoff. But really, all you have to do is look into your programs' stats, accepted applicant profiles, and the information provided on their websites, that's what is going to give you the best gut feeling for your chances. If you've done that already then it's time to contact the admissions office with your concerns and ask them what you can do about them, that's what they're for. No one here will ever say, don't worry, you're in. Like someone said in another one of these threads, for many applicants, it's a surprise which schools accept them and which ones don't. Don't be concerned with those "I have a 3.9 GPA and a mediocre 1300 on my GRE, will I get in anywhere?" posts, there are so many successful applicants that have stats no where near those, I'm definitely one of them. You have to remember that the application is a package that represents you, there are a lot of parts to it and they are weighed differently by every program. Like Red Bull said, if you want it bad enough you're just going to do what you have to do to give it your best shot. If you're basically in line with the stats for the programs, then clearly you have some kind of a chance, as does everyone else. It's up to you to put together a strong SOP and make sure your recommenders know exactly what you're doing so they can craft strong LORs. You'll have to relate any research and work experience to the program, how has it prepared you for this next step? How well you do all of that is what will set you apart from all of the other applicants with similar or even higher stats. It's kind of like the preference for someone with a 3.5 GPA plus years of relevant experience over the one with 4.0 and zero experience. In my field anyway, the relevant experience is a must. The type of schools you apply to depend on your priorities, if it's the best or nothing then should you get rejected, you will be satisfied with working to improve your application for the next year, but if grad school in general is something you want to do as soon as possible then you should apply to at least one school that's not quite as competitive to sort of broaden your chances. It takes effort to find the schools that fit you, but make it a priority and it'll get done. There is a wealth of information here on all of the components of grad school applications, you will get a lot of help and advice when you're ready to ask about them.

Edited by Mal83

I was asking the same question myself not too long ago. Averages on websites and especially this website can seem really intimidating. I also thought that I was a great applicant for grad school until I heard so much fuss over super high GREs and 4.0s at ivy league institutions. The best advice someone gave me, call the department. Ask them to speak with a member of the admission committee. At my school of choice, not only did she inform me that the average (of ppl who actually accepted) was way lower than what is advertised, but provided additional information not found on the website. She also told me what components of the application were most important and referred me to some grad students (also assured me she'd be looking for my application in the fall, cross my fingers). So basically I feel a lot better. If you're feeling unsure, call the department and speak with a secretary or an admission committee person.

Let me answer with a hypothetical. I am the world's smartest woman and I can determine with 100% accuracy from the information that you provided that the chance of getting into the program of your choice is 68%. Now, armed with that information how is your behavior going to change? If you are a rational person this information should not change your behavior. You would still try the hardest you could to write the essays, pay the fees, and do all of the work it takes to get into any graduate program. Now, let's flip the problem. Let's say that I tell you your chance of getting into the program of your choice is 32%. Would that change your behavior? Would you give up or would you try harder? You still have a 32% chance of getting in and if you are truly dedicated then you should be willing to take those chances. Now, this is a choice you could make if you had the information, but you don't. I'm not the world's smartest woman (2nd smartest, lol :P) and I can't tell you. No one on this forum can tell you what your chances are, and nobody told us, either. You have to decide whether you want it bad enough, and if you do you can summon the strength and courage that it takes. You have the answer, not anybody on this forum. I hope this helps.

So well said!

• 6 months later...
:D since I'm one of the 3.9 GPA 1310 GRE score people freaking out on this forum, let me clarify. Last year I thought I was a shoe in when I applied- but I didn't get in at any of the US schools I applied to- I should mention that last year my GRE scores were 1150. But I think its a little more complex- it really has a great deal to do with fit- if you're proposing to do research that is interesting and relevant to one or more Professors at your school of choice and if those Professors happen to not be on sabbatical and happen to be accepting PhDs to supervise then your chances are great. The stats I feel are probably used as a base line weed out so maybe people with a lower than 1000 GRE scores get culled in the first round. I've also heard the scores are only useful for the schools in the last steps of the process when they're choosing one over another candidate or trying to justify why you deserve funding.