Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Also, anyone else having trouble uploading to U of Washington? I think they're having trouble with their server or something. It keeps telling my that all of my PDFs are the wrong format, and they're not. And they are the right size.

Oops. It must have just been something weird with Firefox; I didn't have any problems uploading via Safari.

(Happy Thanksgiving!)

Edited by goldielocks

I am now working on my sixth revision of my SoP and I am beginning to panic... It's still not quite right and it has to be right ASAP. *sigh* I'll be so glad when this process is over...

Edited by sandyvanb

Finally, does anyone have any experience with FLAS scholarships? I've been told it's next to impossible to receive them for funding the first year of graduate study.

People usually get FLASes to fund advanced language study, so if you're looking to do the equivalent of the 2nd or 3rd year of language training, you might be able to get a FLAS in your first year. The problem is that many centers determine their FLAS recipients before that year's admissions cycle is over, and the FLAS has a separate application for continuing students, so the area studies centers may not consider incoming students for the fellowships at all. It'll really depend on the policies of each institution.

I am now working on my sixth revision of my SoP and I am beginning to panic... It's still not quite right and it has to be right ASAP. *sigh* I'll be so glad when this process is over...

Sandy, you are not alone in this feeling. I am way beyond sixth revision (and this is not a good thing), and I'm still feeling clumsy, wordy, and tangled up.

I'll send you a virtual cocktail.

People usually get FLASes to fund advanced language study, so if you're looking to do the equivalent of the 2nd or 3rd year of language training, you might be able to get a FLAS in your first year. The problem is that many centers determine their FLAS recipients before that year's admissions cycle is over, and the FLAS has a separate application for continuing students, so the area studies centers may not consider incoming students for the fellowships at all. It'll really depend on the policies of each institution.

That actually makes a lot of sense and thanks a lot for the reply.

I should have been more clear- the person who told me FLAS is "impossible to get in your first year" meant your first year of grad school. It would be the equivalent of my 3rd year of language training.

Again, thanks a lot for the reply.

Yes except many people who are not familiar with the workings of academia and faculty and do not realize that politics are involved. So they forget that they can have the very best application but their POI may not be able to have much say because the more powerful faculty members are getting what they want and demand it.

Exactly, ticklemepink.

@Sigaba I don't think we were "focusing on politics" so much as acknowledging that it can be a factor. Also, there are other things beyond what we would call "politics" that are out the applicant's control such as budget cuts, etc.... The point is not that it's a "crapshoot," but that being the best candidate does not always translate into an offer for any number of reasons out of the applicant's control. After all, I've known persons whose only offer came from the highest-ranked program to which they'd applied. It's not uncommon and it's not ONLY about being a strong applicant, though that is the best the applicant can do.

Exactly, ticklemepink.

@Sigaba I don't think we were "focusing on politics" so much as acknowledging that it can be a factor. Also, there are other things beyond what we would call "politics" that are out the applicant's control such as budget cuts, etc.... The point is not that it's a "crapshoot," but that being the best candidate does not always translate into an offer for any number of reasons out of the applicant's control. After all, I've known persons whose only offer came from the highest-ranked program to which they'd applied. It's not uncommon and it's not ONLY about being a strong applicant, though that is the best the applicant can do.

nasteel--

I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate your viewpoint and to continue this discussion.

Maybe because I have the impulse to be a control freak and/or maybe because of the mindset I had when applying to graduate school, I didn't spend much time thinking about things beyond my control.

Anyone applying to Penn? I've submitted my application but on the status page it says 'not received' under the 'transcript' heading. I thought that Penn only wanted an unofficial transcript uploaded to the application, but this would suggest they're waiting for an official transcript to be mailed to them... :blink:

Safferz,

I have uploaded all of my materials to Penn, but have not yet paid the fee (waiting till next week for that), so I likely don't have access to the same status page that you do, but nonetheless their application instructions are clear:

4) Transcripts from any institution that has or will grant you a degree.

A school issued official OR unofficial copy of the transcript from any school that has or will award you a degree should be scanned, saved as a PDF file and uploaded into the application. Should you be admitted and accept admission, you will be required to submit an official copy from the institution(s) in question.

I would say to you and me both- so long as your transcripts are uploaded onto the website and are present on the 'preview application pdf,' there should be nothing to worry about.

I understand your pain. I just submitted all my apps and it feels so good. Good luck!!

Edited by A Finicky Bean

Just submitted my first application! It actually felt really great to finally get it over with. Hope everyone is managing to enjoy the holiday despite the application stress!

Awesome! You must feel good! I just submitted all of mine and I feel so much better! Of course the nervousness about hearing back hasn't set in yet...but I'll take this nice little break while I can.

Next week is the last week of classes at my university, and I must say, I'm more overwhelmed by all the papers I have to do than my grad school applications right now :mellow:

I understand your pain with this. I am in the last weeks of the term as well and I have major papers coming up. But I am happy to say that I got all my apps in last night so I can now fully focus on schoolwork without the nagging app deadlines.

Good luck with the end of term!

Safferz,

I have uploaded all of my materials to Penn, but have not yet paid the fee (waiting till next week for that), so I likely don't have access to the same status page that you do, but nonetheless their application instructions are clear:

4) Transcripts from any institution that has or will grant you a degree.

A school issued official OR unofficial copy of the transcript from any school that has or will award you a degree should be scanned, saved as a PDF file and uploaded into the application. Should you be admitted and accept admission, you will be required to submit an official copy from the institution(s) in question.

I would say to you and me both- so long as your transcripts are uploaded onto the website and are present on the 'preview application pdf,' there should be nothing to worry about.

Thanks! I searched the forums and found a thread in Art History from last year on the same issue, and the advice was to ignore it.

Awesome! You must feel good! I just submitted all of mine and I feel so much better! Of course the nervousness about hearing back hasn't set in yet...but I'll take this nice little break while I can.

I'm with you -- it's a huge relief to have most of my applications in at this point. I suspect the anxiety of waiting won't hit me until January, when I suddenly realize adcomms are beginning to meet and deliberate over my future...

I'm with you -- it's a huge relief to have most of my applications in at this point. I suspect the anxiety of waiting won't hit me until January, when I suddenly realize adcomms are beginning to meet and deliberate over my future...

Perhaps time will march a wee bit slower until then and we can all enjoy the holiday season without too much nervous stomach issues. :rolleyes:

Everything is submitted; I'm waiting on one recommender. He sent me an email yesterday saying he was working on my letter, and i told him a while ago that my first deadline was Dec.1, but naturally I'm getting anxious..... Still, it feels awesome to have everything that I can do done.

Oh, my Dec 1 school is typically ambiguous in their instructions regarding transcripts. I uploaded a copy and my school is sending mine out tmrw. Is it worth paying the $20 for them to overnight a copy?

nasteel--

I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate your viewpoint and to continue this discussion.

Maybe because I have the impulse to be a control freak and/or maybe because of the mindset I had when applying to graduate school, I didn't spend much time thinking about things beyond my control.

If one takes the time to step back during this process or in graduate school, s/he should accept the fact that it is very hard to be a "control freak." One will get unnecessarily stressed. Why should one be stressed when a professor says, "Look, I've got to teach. I've got my research. I've got my committee duties to do. I will find time to write your letter." The letter will get done unless peers tell you that this person is completely absentminded. You can't tell somebody that s/he has to get this done ASAP when the deadline isn't for a couple of weeks. Allow for a little time and flexibility for anything in academia. The professors aren't the only one overloaded with commitments- so are graduate school and department administrative assistants. I say give it at least 3 weeks for the materials, including LORs.

Even with the admissions process. You cannot directly control what the professors think of you as a candidate and how they compare you to others (and you don't know who the others are!). Only your SOP, writing sample, and LORs need to speak for themselves. You have no idea what the department really needs for next year- more early Americanists or Africanists? Same goes for the job market when they're advertising for open specialty in a field (i.e. anyone who can teach early modern European history, intellectual or social or whatever).

I was quite bit of a control freak until halfway through my MA program and I eased up a lot after my second cycle of applications. People tried to be pleasant with me when I was stressing out and attempting to keep my ducks in a row but once I loosen up, our conversations were noticeably more relaxed and I was probably easier to work with. I'm very sure that my adviser is sick of hearing me complain about things out of my control. :)

I think this is what natsteel and I are trying to get at with our advice-you can only control what you have in your hands and have faith. Professors will say that a lot- have faith in any process in academia. I've heard it multiple times, especially when I've hit a big brick wall (like getting slammed with tons of rejections). Slowly, I've seen the benefits of keeping it, as painfully hard it was to do so.

Generally, I've seen that people don't *think* about these issues until mid-February when they are agonizing over the length of waiting and someone, like myself, have point this out.

Everything is submitted; I'm waiting on one recommender. He sent me an email yesterday saying he was working on my letter, and i told him a while ago that my first deadline was Dec.1, but naturally I'm getting anxious..... Still, it feels awesome to have everything that I can do done.

Oh, my Dec 1 school is typically ambiguous in their instructions regarding transcripts. I uploaded a copy and my school is sending mine out tmrw. Is it worth paying the $20 for them to overnight a copy?

Ah, my rec's still need to get some in, too. No worries, though, they'll get them in. Just breathe a sigh of relief that you are finished!

I think this is what natsteel and I are trying to get at with our advice-you can only control what you have in your hands and have faith.

Perhaps the apparent difference of views centers around perspectives about the relationship between faith in a process and the political dimensions of that same process.

As an applicant, I had a profound amount of faith in Klio, the Ivory Tower, and the notion of academic pedigree. Therefore, I did not worry about politics. Instead, I focused on what I could control -- specifically, the development of my skills as an aspiring historian and my willingness to compete. (That is, I could control how approached history but I could not control the politics of how the Powers That Be viewed my areas of interest.)

Because of this faith, I did not worry about the content of LoRs because I believed they'd provide a disinterested account of my strengths and weaknesses and of my potential. Likewise, I did not worry too much about the SoPs, the writing samples, or the grades. If something worked, it was because I had worked hard at it and figured out a sustainable solution. If something did not work, it was because I failed to think things through adequately.

When I previously balked at the emphasis you and nasteel placed on politics, my concern centered around the increasingly cynical connotations of politics in relation to the study of history in America today, and how 'rank and file' Americans view its practitioners. I remain equally concerned with how the notion of selection being a political process impacts the confidence of undergraduates attempting to gain admission to the programs of their choices.

Yes, politics do play a part in who makes the big envelope and who gets the brief note. Not everyone is going to get admitted to Happyland University with a fully funded fellowship. The final decisions can boil down to who among Powers That Be who growl the loudest.

Yet, MOO and IME, there are profound competitive advantages in having the confidence of a "true believer." I would like many members of this BB who are history majors to have more faith--especially in themselves--than many seem to possess. Bluntly, several of you are ten feet tall and just don't realize it. IMO, many of you would be able to press yourselves harder (but with different types of stress) if you had more faith and less concern about politics.

My $0.02. YMMV.