Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Ok...guess I'm not too concerned about that...the department website seems to say that most students do get full funding one way or the other...

Well from what I understand, the funding is in the forms of various external fellowships, RAships, TAships, and project assistantships.

Only a few are excepted with full multi-year funding projects, so most end up with a sort of combined thing of external funding and some financial aid. It's sad to also hear that FLAS was slashed 50%.

Is anybody planning to supplement their 1st year stipend by working??

Anybody feeling like an acceptance w/o funding is the same as a rejection??

(I answer yes to both)...

I don't think that an acceptance without funding is really a rejection since most state schools are experience economic hardships and have had their funding really cut. There are only so many endowments to go around, and they have to honor prior commitments (like those who won multi-year packages in the past years).

I didn't receive the Wisconsin email- bummer. I wonder if that means "I don't care about you!" (FEAR style) or if it means "yeh we know you'll fill out FAFSA because my god you're poor."

Maybe both? It can be taken either way. The suspense is killing me.

I don't think that an acceptance without funding is really a rejection since most state schools are experience economic hardships and have had their funding really cut. There are only so many endowments to go around, and they have to honor prior commitments (like those who won multi-year packages in the past years).

Yeh I agree with this, but I hope I don't have to face this reality.

Ok, so I would not look at an acceptance without funding as a "back-handed" acceptance...what I meant was that I cannot afford to go without funding, so for practical purposes it would be be tantamount to a rejection...

That's reasonable. I can't really afford to go without funding as well. Grad school is pretty expensive.

Welcome to all the newbies (and lurkers). I think it will probably get more and more active around here this week and next.

I think the stress of waiting/thesis writing is wearing me down. I am getting sick now. :( But the good news is that I don't have anywhere else to be this evening, so I can stay at home, on the couch, with my reading and some cold and flu meds. I'll take it.

Welcome to all the newbies (and lurkers). I think it will probably get more and more active around here this week and next.

I think the stress of waiting/thesis writing is wearing me down. I am getting sick now. :( But the good news is that I don't have anywhere else to be this evening, so I can stay at home, on the couch, with my reading and some cold and flu meds. I'll take it.

Hang in there!!! The good news will come and it will turn everything around. And hello, lurkers.

Hello All,

I've been a lurker here for quite a while. Thank you to everyone for all of the informative posts and for the place to commiserate about the stresses of this process. Also, congrats to all the early acceptances!

I've been asked to visit the campus and interview in person at one of my schools. I didn't expect to have to interview and the idea is kind of terrifying b/c I do not have a detailed - or even very specific - proposal for a dissertation project. Can anyone share their interview experiences? Were you asked to elaborate on your dissertation proposal or was the interview more balanced with other topics?

Thanks in advance for any help!

The more people that unlurk, the more worried I get that I'll meet my academic rival.

But hello and welcome everyone!

...the more worried I get that I was delusional about my prospects for admission...

...thank god I have to work all day tomorrow...

Edited by ADMITedlyLucky

Feel better goldie! Also, congrats to people that have gotten news! I somehow managed to stay away from here this weekend. :)

Hopefully, we'll all start hearing something soon!

Love the screen name- though you are definitely heading for the wrong field if you cant handle the 3x5s...my thesis advisor was a freak for the 3x5s, his idea of new fangled technology is micro-fiche...and he's not 'that' old, about 50 or so...

Thankfully mine introduced me to zotero