Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Excellent news Safferz and TMP!!! COngrats to you and all others with good news.

Keep strong, KK and those who are going through the dark right now :) You're brave, smart, virtually friendly and warm people and you'll get something good, I hope.

Just told him- perfect timing because Indiana just blew me off. Now the sting isn't there anymore... but I just won't damn forget this. Two years of waitlists and they just BLEW me off?!

maybe you were destined for the waitlist again this year and rather than put you through that torture for a third time, they decided to just give you a clear answer. sort of like someone saying "i don't think we should see each other again" instead of "i'll call you," "i was going to call you," "i think i lost your number," "we should totally hang out some time." at least there's closure, even if it's not the kind you were hoping for.

also, fuck 'em.

Yikes, I get home from class and this thread is four pages longer! I received an email from UPenn's history graduate chair just before my class at 1pm, with details on funding and an invitation to visit the school on March 16th. I'm still waiting to hear from my top choices, but I'm absolutely thrilled that I've been offered admission to a great school and that I'll definitely be starting a PhD in the fall.

SL, certainly your experience is relevant in the general sense (and greatly appreciated, btw...), but the reason for the frantic angst after seeing TMP's post is that UW-M is one of the few schools that openly warns applicants not to expect all new students to be awarded funding...certainly not full funding...with us UWs admitees (which right now is my only option as I have not heard from any other school- save Yale's assumed passive-rejection due to not receiving an interview) this becomes almost another accept/reject proposition...

yeah, but i was just addressing cupoftea's situation, not the UW funding situation.... :huh:

So Indiana has been sending out rejections today via email. Does this mean its safe to assume that they have already sent out acceptances and waitlists? Or they are just tidying up their inboxes?

First of all, EEEEEE GENE PARMESAN.

Second, nothing is safe. The results board has one acceptance from 2 Feb and one request for an additional LOR. It very well could be that they have sent out acceptances and only one was posted. It could also be that they are still working on deciding on a stack of "grey area" applicants. It's unclear at this point.

Man, I really want to hear about Minnesota. I don't have much hope that it'll be good news for me at this point. It doesn't seem like many people who post on the forum have applied there (or any at all).

I guess I'll hold out some hope a little bit longer, but I'm really ready to just get all my decisions and be done.

I'm with qb. Quietly riveted to the news that is pouring in.

Congratulations to everyone that has heard good news recently! And condolences to those who have gotten rejections.

Radio silence on this end, which I think is driving me slightly mad. The only school I applied to that has sent acceptances thus far is UW, but I haven't heard anything from then either way (which I'm reading as a bad sign, but I can't access the website, so I don't really have any information -- I was in touch with tech people there who told me that they were aware of the problem and that I should just to contact the program directly for information regarding my status. Oy.)

I went in to meet with my advisor today (I'm in an MA program) and talking about the direction of my thesis was soothing in a way that it isn't usually. Nice to be reminded of the here and now, I guess.

Hard to focus on my research, though, when I feel like the future is so volatile!

Thanks to everyone for all the updates and encouraging postings this past week, though, makes the waiting feel less lonely.

How does one go about doing a "PM"?

If you are using IE or Mozilla on a desktop/laptop, look at the top right hand corner ... you should see an envelop looking thing there ... click on that, then you can compose a PM from there. Conversely, you can click on who ever you're trying to communicate with's profile and you should also see the option to message them as well on there.

I had an up and down hectic weird day today and I was all set to feel sorry about my crazy life tonight and than I thought i'd check in here. And I remember that i've had it much worse this time last year. Congrats to those of you accepted to Brown, Penn and Indiana today.

P.S. What is going on with Yale? It seems that by this time last year they had sent out decisions, right?

Do you think it's coming on Friday?

I would think it'll be sometime this week, but I don't have any specific information from my POI or anyone else.

P.S. What is going on with Yale? It seems that by this time last year they had sent out decisions, right?

It is hard to say -- Since they have instituted an interview process this year, that may well have slowed them down a week or two.

Safferz--any indication whether Penn is done sending out invites?

No idea! I'm not in the US though, so I wonder if they're reaching out to international students early for travel considerations?

Unless the interviews changed their usual schedule, I think we'll know before the end of the week. I'm DYING to know what they've decided.

Last year most of the Yale answers came out on Feb 14 i think - which is still a week away unfortunately even though it seems like this should all be over so soon.

Yale didn't inform last year until the 11th or 14th I think... It was either the next business day or two after my Princeton offer came and all I still have in terms of emails and paperwork is the Princeton stuff. I got crushed by Brown at 10AM on the 10th of Feb. last year and was over the moon by 1PM when I had a note from Princeton. By the time I got rejected by Yale a day or two later it didn't matter at all to me ;)

Do not read the the times in the above paragraph to reflect that i believe the time of day will be the same. That's crazy ;)

Last year most of the Yale answers came out on Feb 14 i think - which is still a week away unfortunately even though it seems like this should all be over so soon.

Wait... are you telling me Yale makes a tradition out of their Valentine's Day rejections? I thought it was just poor timing when I got mine that day a few years ago.