Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Well U-Chicago seems to have notified all of its accepted applicants, which apparently does not include me... With this all in mind, does anyone here know if Chicago typically waitlists? And if so, do they notify or keep you hanging which some programs appear to do?

Congrats, however, to all who had a wonderful day filled with great news!! Hopefully such a day visits us all soon.

So which program is going to be dropping the news today?

I had a long, sentimental talk with my advisor yesterday about moving on to the PhD. There were a couple of tears. This is all starting to feel real.

Yeah, I'm putting my fake internet money on Princeton today.

Maybe Boston College will notify today, which will mean I got 8/10 decisions in a little more than a week. Well, 9/10 if you count no interview for Notre Dame.

Yes...and this is what I, for one, want. For some, the fun is in the work/research/writing. I'm taking this with the levity it is intended, but I'm also just clarifying that many applicants do know exactly what we are getting ourselves into and the rejections are still painful even though they might be doing us a favor...

I will get into a doctoral program, whether it is this time around or another time. It is my dream and it will be what I accomplish, job market be damned. Luckily I have a supportive partner (who has a PhD) who doesn't care about what the house looks like or if we go out a lot or if I make a ton of money. My partner just wants me to pursue my dream and understands what will be in store for me/us if/when I get accepted into a program. :)

Again, I'm not reacting negatively, just wanted to say "yes! this is what I want!" I might be nuts but...oh well. :P I have no children and will not be having any. I've got my partner, pets, and history. Life, for me, is great with those elements.

Now I just must wrangle the elusive doctoral program... :ph34r:

Be warned, top PhD programs are the bane of many relationships and marriages. Being a graduate student at a top program does not make you a great scholar, most are not and never will be. I am frustrated by the cheeriness of this forum, the last thing our field needs is more overly positive modern nonsense. Those who indulge in or need human attachment are weak, they lack the resolve to suffer and destroy themselves for the sake of their art. That's why the average time for PhD completion is 7yrs these days when it should be 4-5.

Be warned, top PhD programs are the bane of many relationships and marriages. Being a graduate student at a top program does not make you a great scholar, most are not and never will be. I am frustrated by the cheeriness of this forum, the last thing our field needs is more overly positive modern nonsense. Those who indulge in or need human attachment are weak, they lack the resolve to suffer and destroy themselves for the sake of their art. That's why the average time for PhD completion is 7yrs these days when it should be 4-5.

Wow. Kindly take your bitterness elsewhere, ok? I don't want this forum to descend into invective so I won't respond directly; just don't bring that shit around here.

" Those who indulge in or need human attachment are weak, they lack the resolve to suffer and destroy themselves for the sake of their art"

Who does this guy/gal think he/she is? Oooooh, a suffering artist! Balls. Sorry, I had to. I'm very happy in my relationship and i already have a graduate degree, so thank you very much.

Edited by crazedandinfused

Yeah, probably a slew of Ivy decisions..... Here we go.

As far as the Ivies go I would probably expect only Princeton to have anything this week leaving Harvard, Dartmouth & Cornell to deliver info next week

Yeah, she didn't mention getting into a "top PhD program." She just wants to get into one period. Nor does she state that she was to be the next top scholar.

Like crazed said, take it elsewhere, we don't want to hear it.

Mmm that level of anger, bile, bitterness & hatred started off my day right! I needed that laugh. Thanks frack! Now I hope you can return to your regularly scheduled appointment as a grief counselor/life coach! :)

Rejected from Princeton...the carnage is starting to mount. After a relatively positive start (UW-M), I'm 0-2 officially, and staring down a no-interview, no-acceptance situation at Yale.

I said a couple of weeks ago that I would make a deal to get into just one of my programs, in exchange for rejection from the rest, but its still very disappointing. Plus if UW-M does not come through with funding for me, thats as good as getting rejected.

Here's hoping (and prayin!) for at least one more admit- still got five more shots (well, technically four and a half after what my advisor said about UNC).

Congrats to all of today's winners.

Safferz for President!!!!!

Edited by Hopin'-n-Prayin'

I was so sure the Northwestern rejection on Saturday was the beginning of a string of rejections, and I was trying really hard to stay optimistic and hope at least one school would accept me. I can't believe it!!!