Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Are there any other Indiana applicants who haven't heard from them yet? I'm a dual MA History/MLS applicant, and I was hoping to hear last week. Just wondering, good luck to everyone!

I haven't heard yet from IU (PhD). I believe there's at least one other person on this board who didn't hear when the massive wave of rejects/acceptances went out earlier this week.

I would go a step further and suggest you have some talking points, CV, and SOP up on your screen along with the Skype interview. That way you can quickly reference them without looking away frequently.

I have found this really helpful too! Thanks for mentioning this.

Good luck, volta36!

Edited by crater21

So as we approach another new week that I'm sure will be as eventful as the last, I want to wish everyone the best of luck. I started off this week with a rejection from the lowest ranked school I applied to, and I was so sure that meant definite rejections from the rest. By mid-week I was thinking about a plan B, and kicking myself for aiming too high by not being realistic with my applications. Then I received the email from UPenn just before class on Wednesday afternoon, and by Thursday morning I had five acceptances. So stay patient and optimistic, and don't question yourself, your abilities or your worth as a candidate! Also keep in mind that it's still early in the process, and interpret silence as a sign that you're still in the running.

Good luck folks! I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I haven't heard from my top choice yet, so I'm waiting for news this week too :)

If you have not heard from IU I thinks things are leaning at least a little in your favor.

I hope both of you recieve good news from them soon!

I haven't either.

Does anyone think that U Va will send out decisions this week?

So as we approach another new week that I'm sure will be as eventful as the last, I want to wish everyone the best of luck. I started off this week with a rejection from the lowest ranked school I applied to, and I was so sure that meant definite rejections from the rest. By mid-week I was thinking about a plan B, and kicking myself for aiming too high by not being realistic with my applications. Then I received the email from UPenn just before class on Wednesday afternoon, and by Thursday morning I had five acceptances. So stay patient and optimistic, and don't question yourself, your abilities or your worth as a candidate! Also keep in mind that it's still early in the process, and interpret silence as a sign that you're still in the running.

Far from "gloating," this has made me feel better than anything written on the board in the past week or so. Thanks.

The days suddenly seem to crawl by. This isn't fun. I thought things would get fun once you're accepted, the days would go faster. But I don't think so. Boo. Maybe it was better to keep waiting and be full of anxiety. I complained to one of my POIs that I've begun to cross days off my calendar. :rolleyes:

The days suddenly seem to crawl by. This isn't fun. I thought things would get fun once you're accepted, the days would go faster. But I don't think so. Boo. Maybe it was better to keep waiting and be full of anxiety. I complained to one of my POIs that I've begun to cross days off my calendar. :rolleyes:

I remember this weird couple of months where I knew where I was going but I still had this god damn masters thesis to finish writing.... I honestly tried to concentrate on that and not spend too much time thinking about the apps once I had a viable option.

I remember this weird couple of months where I knew where I was going but I still had this god damn masters thesis to finish writing.... I honestly tried to concentrate on that and not spend too much time thinking about the apps once I had a viable option.

Errk - this is almost the situation in which I find myself now. I do not know yet exactly where I am going yet, but I'm getting there... meanwhile, the master's thesis is still looming, a half-finished beast waiting to devour me should I fail to palliate it by adding words to it daily!

Errk - this is almost the situation in which I find myself now. I do not know yet exactly where I am going yet, but I'm getting there... meanwhile, the master's thesis is still looming, a half-finished beast waiting to devour me should I fail to palliate it by adding words to it daily!

When I told people in my masters program that the thesis was stressing me they'd say completely unhelpful things like "oh don't worry about that, you'll finish." like because I was going to get a PhD the thesis wasn't going to be scrutinized the way it would have been? I don't know. That just made me more angry. I went and spent two more weeks in an archive to prove them wrong.

When I told people in my masters program that the thesis was stressing me they'd say completely unhelpful things like "oh don't worry about that, you'll finish." like because I was going to get a PhD the thesis wasn't going to be scrutinized the way it would have been? I don't know. That just made me more angry. I went and spent two more weeks in an archive to prove them wrong.

That's the spirit! However... I have a job, as my MA thesis is far behind me. Then again, there's that article covered in my editor's marks hiding under the bed sitting on my desk. Journal article? What journal article? :blink:

I'm assuming none of you are going to be pop cultural historians because I see no comments on here about the Grammys. Will NO ONE care about future generations' need for our views, takes and commentary on the 2012 Grammys?

Yes, they will. They will use twitter as their primaries. It will be a dark, dark day when historians look back on Twitter to source our popular culture... I'm afraid because Snooki will become a historical argument. *I refuse to buy this book (unless published by a reputable academic source!).*

I'm assuming none of you are going to be pop cultural historians because I see no comments on here about the Grammys. Will NO ONE care about future generations' need for our views, takes and commentary on the 2012 Grammys?

How could they forget Gil Scott-Heron during the tribute? :(

How could they forget Gil Scott-Heron during the tribute? :(

:( I suspect it's because: "The revolution will not go better with Coke./The revolution will not fight the germs that may cause bad breath./The revolution will put you in the driver's seat." Doesn't seem to be much room in the mainstream corporate media for freedom these days.

I'm afraid because Snooki will become a historical argument. *I refuse to buy this book (unless published by a reputable academic source!).*

Does it need to be by a historian? Could it be an assistant professor's first book or does it have to be someone with standing? Could it be Penguin or Norton, or does it have to be by a university press?

:( I suspect it's because: "The revolution will not go better with Coke./The revolution will not fight the germs that may cause bad breath./The revolution will put you in the driver's seat." Doesn't seem to be much room in the mainstream corporate media for freedom these days.

Excluded in life and in death!

Yes, they will. They will use twitter as their primaries. It will be a dark, dark day when historians look back on Twitter to source our popular culture... I'm afraid because Snooki will become a historical argument. *I refuse to buy this book (unless published by a reputable academic source!).*

I've already come across Jersey Shore studies on one of my gender studies listservs... give me a sec and I'll dig it up :lol:

Does it need to be by a historian? Could it be an assistant professor's first book or does it have to be someone with standing? Could it be Penguin or Norton, or does it have to be by a university press?

lol... I'll have to judge by the glossy cover... as I wouldn't want to insult the legacy.