Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

?????

What should one make of this situation:

A school sent out rejections 3 weeks ago. Nobody has knowledge of any acceptances going out. I called the school and the graduate cooridinater told me that "no rejections, acceptances, or anything has gone out yet."

I've called the school for the last three Fridays and have been told this same thing.

Also, the very woman that told me that no word has gone out is the same individual who sent out the rejection emails three weeks ago.

So I came out of today with one acceptance - to my alma matter's graduate program. It's a great back up option if there is funding, which I won't know for a while, but I also have about a years worth of credits there so I can finish the degree in about a year/year and a half. Wouldn't mind but still aiming for a phd program. Sigh. Good weekend, everyone.

So I came out of today with one acceptance - to my alma matter's graduate program. It's a great back up option if there is funding, which I won't know for a while, but I also have about a years worth of credits there so I can finish the degree in about a year/year and a half. Wouldn't mind but still aiming for a phd program. Sigh. Good weekend, everyone.

Hey, that's great! Be happy, it's something.

It is something, thanks crazedandinfused! and I love The New School very much. GREAT professors, very supportive department, and you can't beat the location. I don't know if anyone in this forum applied there, but feel free to PM me. I know every history professor pretty much, and most of them I know very well - would be glad to tell you about the program and the university.

you can't beat the location

I'm fuming with jealousy. Please NYU, please, pretty please with a fucking cherry on top. In fact, I might officially hate you with your updates about taking the F train. :) Of course, i'm joking. You're one of my favorite chaverim. I just really love NY

Edited by crazedandinfused

Ahhhh chaverim, now I know a new fact about you, crazed!

F train? Did I ever say F train specifically? Hah! I take Hebrew at NYU now (just as an auditor) and I actually need the B train for that...

I'm also hoping for a cherry from NYU! but for a dual program, so its going to take a while.

congrats m'selle le monster! And enjoy your shabos!

Congrats to uhohlemonster! Still nothing here from the history PhD programs I applied to but I did get an acceptance today from IUB's Central Eurasian Studies M.A. program. Yay!

Congrats Lily!

Hi everyone, long time lurker and first time poster here. Congratulations to all of you who have received good news! I have learnt a lot by following your discussions. I have been thinking that if I reapply next cycle I would do much better thanks to all the information and advice posted here. This is the most friendly and inspirational forum that i have joined.

Today, I just got accepted to the PhD program at Temple University. My interest is Southeast Asian history, focusing on China and Vietnam. After being rejected by Northwestern, this is fantastic news for me. This is one of my top choices. I am still waiting for their decision on funding though. Could any of you share any information about the funding situation at Temple? I can only find general info on their website so any insight is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Edited by alleykat

Hi everyone, long time lurker and first time poster here. Congratulations to all of you who have received good news! I have learnt a lot by following your discussions. I have been thinking that if I reapply next cycle I would do much better thanks to all the information and advice posted here. This is the most friendly and inspirational forum that i have joined.

Today, I just got accepted to the PhD program at Temple University. My interest is Southeast Asian history, focusing on China and Vietnam. After being rejected by Northwestern, this is fantastic news for me. This is one of my top choices. I am still waiting for their decision on funding though. Could any of you share any information about the funding situation at Temple? I can only find general info on their website so any insight is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

What a great weekend you're bound to have! Congrats!

Looks like UCLA decisions are available, I just saw my rejection. Non-Ivy shutout :lol:

Amazing! Your acceptance/rejection list is a statistical marvel... 5-0 Ivys and 0-3 non-Ivy top tier programs... truly fascinating dichotomy (regardless of how plausible/rational it may seem to ivory tower insiders...)

Looks like UCLA decisions are available, I just saw my rejection. Non-Ivy shutout :lol:

I believe this speaks to what my hero/man crush StrangeLight (I don't care if she is a girl) said a long time ago: it is a crazy process. I'm surprised Northwestern wasn't beating a path to your doorway because for YEARS they were THE school of choice for African history. Had Ivor Wilks not retired a few years back I would have camped out at the admissions office till they offered me a slot. Well at least you're going to your dream school though right? :)

MY UCLA APP STILL SAYS NO DECISION

what could be going on?! ooooof

Hashem wants you to honor the shabos my dear ... there is still a good 5 hours of it left ... afterwards maybe good news from UCLA will appear? :)

Congrats on Cambridge lureynol! (The most beautiful university in the world, in my opinion, but I am biased! :)

If you have any questions about the History faculty, the Colleges, or the town itself, feel free to PM me!

I may just do that. Thanks for the congratulations and the offer!