Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Sorry to interrupt here, but I'm hoping to solicit some advice. I'm flying out tomorrow to visit a program. Here's the thing: I'm an absolutely terrible flyer. And this will be the first time I've flown on my own. I feel like a total baby, but can anyone share advice? I should be sleeping right now but I am too nervous. :/

Drain You. (favorite Nirvana song. This topic is beautifully out of control).

And I don't know that Led Zep can be held responsible for what Puffy and Page did. They did cease to exist when Bonham died so I feel like talking about what "they" did post 1980 is a bit of an anachronism.

And I think Hopin' n Prayin's master-narrative is excellent but I would disagree with the suggestion that rapping necessitates rhyming. Rap nowadays has much bigger artistic problems, in my opinion.

Edited by crazedandinfused

ja rule is great and you hate on jay z?

i just can't anymore. nothing touches hova. except el-p.

remember, I pre-emptively declared myself correct in my assessments....but seriously, what was I thinkin... Ja-Rule? what about eminem and ludacris...these two cats went crazy with jams about 10 yrs ago...not a big Jay Z fan, or 50 or lil wayne or nas or kanye...

Sorry to interrupt here, but I'm hoping to solicit some advice. I'm flying out tomorrow to visit a program. Here's the thing: I'm an absolutely terrible flyer. And this will be the first time I've flown on my own. I feel like a total baby, but can anyone share advice? I should be sleeping right now but I am too nervous. :/

Aww I'm sorry, is it a fear of flying or are you just nervous about doing it on your own? Flying is a lot safer than driving if you look at the statistics, so try your best to think about it rationally. You'll do great :)

CnI-

one of the things that distinguishes rap as a creative art, is the rhyme, the two are hard to separate...Snoops then ground-breaking spell rhyming (S-n-double-o-p D-o-double-g-y D-o-double-G ya see) is still copied by nearly all rappers today...young kids on the corner are convinced they are the next big thing because they can rhyme...street rapping, aka free-styling, is totally about the rhyme...

...is it possible to rap effectively and entertainingly (?) without rhyming? I suppose, but not the way Jay-Z does it...at least not for me...fool's multi-platinum, though, so I am in the minority on this one I guess...

Alright, I've tried to avoid jumping back into the conversation in defense of the 2000s, but the Jay-Z/Ja Rule comment just crossed the line :lol: I'm not his biggest fan but I think Jay's place as one of the greatest rappers in the industry is indisputable. And on a personal level, I was bumpin' Roc Boys among other songs all week after I got into my programs :D

The horns are GLORIOUS.

Ok! Ok! Ok! The self-professed musical connesieur of the forum readily acknowledges the error of, and retracts in its entirety, the Jay-Z/Ja-Rule fiasco. Lets pretend I never mentioned Ja-Rule!

Jay-Z still can't rhyme...lets do this...go listen to an eminem song and then listen to Jay-Z- who is the better lyricist...now do the same with Snoop and Jay Z... then Biggie and Jay Z...Jay Z gets housed every time

its an uncomfortable reality for many: being Beyonce's husband does not make him a great rapper- and neither does his rapping ability...

I have to fly a lot for work, and here is what helps me:

- Wear shoes that can be put on and taken off easily

- Travel light - don't have a lot of jewelry or accessories or things in your hands or pockets

- Save yourself the security head ache and make sure to follow their rules for liquids / zip lock bags.

- Chew gum to avoid that painful feeling in your ears at take off and landing.

- Let yourself relax on the plane - have a nap or even just close your eyes.

- If you can't fall asleep, listen to music or read something fluffy. Now's the time to dive into those People magazines

And, above all, just relax. As Safferz said, flying is a lot safer than driving even! Enjoy your visit! :)

Haha thanks uhohlemonster and Safferz. I'm sure I'll be fine — I'm just a terrible coward about flying, and try to avoid it like the plague. And now doing it by myself (which is embarassing since I'm an adult) is even more daunting. Nothing some yoga breathing and a benzo can't get me through, I'm sure.

Edit to add: thanks to runner and Crater, too!

Edited by goldielocks

drink a lot at the airport bar before you get on the plane.

Jay-Z still can't rhyme...lets do this...go listen to an eminem song and then listen to Jay-Z- who is the better lyricist...now do the same with Snoop and Jay Z... then Biggie and Jay Z...Jay Z gets housed every time

its an uncomfortable reality for many: being Beyonce's husband does not make him a great rapper- and neither does his rapping ability...

C'mon now, Reasonable Doubt is one of the greatest hip hop albums ever! Don't make me post another track...

Aight, I had to. Exhibit B, which also includes a flawless sampling of Ahmad Jamal's "Pastures." HE IS A GENIUS!

reasonable doubt was defintiely Jay Z's best album, but it also came out like in 1994, and he was being mentored by Biggie- when Biggie was killed circa 1997, Jay lost his flow...big-time...he 'jumped the shark'

...you know when I was 10, "the A-team" was my favorate show and my favorate person in the world was B.A. Baracus. When my mom had the nerve to tell me that Mr.T was not a great actor, I boycotted dinner for a week...in the entertainment world, talent and popularity sometimes run askew, and growing up, we tend to become convinced of the greatness of our favorates...

Edited by Hopin'-n-Prayin'

I will also say that Jay Z is a fine producer and one of the better marketers of my generation...I'd much rather be him than me...all I can do that he cant is rhyme at will

...i also think that most rap fans (especially the younger generation) have little or no idea of the inherent connection between rap and rhyme and the history of rap (and hip-hop, which is not the same thing) on the streets of NYC, it may be different these days, but from the late '70s through well, Jay Z, rapping and rhyming were necessarily conjoined, they absolutely defined each other...

any way, reasonable minds can differ...gotta go nite-nite- feel free to rip me in abstentia, I'll read about in the morning...

Edited by Hopin'-n-Prayin'