Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

CONGRATS GOLDIE!!!!!

cooperstreet- it may be your SOP if not your writing sample. If this is only your second time, get some serious feedback from your favorite POIs. Remember, it also may be that this year still isn't the year for your particular subfield. Third time's the charm. :)

Congrats goldie!

Wait... wait... is that an Indiana acceptance up there?! Oh man. I guess, maybe they really didn't make a mistake. Congrats to whoever it is!

Hmm. Intriguing. Details, anyone?

Also, apparently UConn will announce late Feb to early March. I can't remember who else was applying there, but there are maybe a couple of folks.

I called Rutgers History, didn't say my name, and they told me to contact Seth Koven. I'm thinking of contacting my POI instead since we had such a great meeting in November. I don't know... I'm feeling the jig is up! Unless we STILL have only seen Europeanists and Americanists hearing from Rutgers, and for some reason Global History is behind.

congratulations goldie!

Congrats!

What does the graduate application status say?

Thank you. I just checked and my app status still says "No Decision."

Best of luck to the rest of you who are waiting to hear from Rutgers.

PS: Just realized that I misspelled the word misspelled upthread... yikes!

Edited by goldielocks

I called Rutgers History, didn't say my name, and they told me to contact Seth Koven. I'm thinking of contacting my POI instead since we had such a great meeting in November. I don't know... I'm feeling the jig is up! Unless we STILL have only seen Europeanists and Americanists hearing from Rutgers, and for some reason Global History is behind.

congratulations goldie!

The jig ain't up yet! Let me know how it goes.

Is it a terrible idea to contact my POI? We had this great, long meeting in November. She said, and I quote, "I have a good feeling about this. Competition is stiff, but I think it will work out." I just don't think I can wait the whole weekend without some conclusion... Even if it's a bad conclusion.

Congrats Goldie!

I am really preparing myself for 2-3 declines today or tomorrow. It is beginning to look like this cycle is going to be a bust for me... I just want to get my results back, good or bad so I can make plans for next year. I will have a lot of work to do to revise my app and I need to consider retaking the GRE if this year doesn't work for me.

Congrats Goldie! I knew that at least one of us non-Americanists had to have been accepted to the program. And with a fellowship? Incredible! Serious congrats to you.

It is a little disconcerting if he tried to send the e-mail on Weds. though and it didn't go through. The game might be up for the rest of us :\

Is it a terrible idea to contact my POI? We had this great, long meeting in November. She said, and I quote, "I have a good feeling about this. Competition is stiff, but I think it will work out." I just don't think I can wait the whole weekend without some conclusion... Even if it's a bad conclusion.

No. Do not e-mail her until after March 15th. Keep your bottom on your hands! You can e-mail her ONLY if she DID ask you to get in touch with her during the admissions process or something like "If you don't heard from anyone by President's Day, send me an e-mail and I'll give you an update." Everyone has a great conversation with a POI one way or another but ultimately nobody really knows until the executive committee makes the final decision based on politics, overall strength of the recommended applicants, and the program's needs.

I said that because I did have POIs from various programs in previous cycles who said those things to me, raising my hopes and hoping that they'd be true to their words. So I have every reason to be a bit cynical and take these kind of words with a grain of salt.

Greetings everyone, I've been compulsively checking the results board multiple times a day visiting the site occasionally and finally decided to stop lurking and register for an account. Congrats to all those who have heard good news recently, and hopefully good news awaits those of us, including myself, who are still waiting to hear back.

Congrats Goldie!!! It looks like this app cycle is pretty much over for you, right?

It looks that way. I'm relieved and stunned. All of you folks still waiting have been on my mind, though. I'm hoping you get some answers soon.

I am just in tears, I am losing it over this process. I have so much to do and I can't focus, I feel like I am already grieving for this cycle. I just need to get results so I can move on and make plans. I am so tired of being depressed...

Thanks TMP but five of them have already notified for acceptances and one for the prospective student weekend. I feel like I can't hold onto any false illusions, it will make this harder later. And I may not be able to get rehired next year, it depends on so many variables. I am on the verge of a panic attack...

I am just in tears, I am losing it over this process. I have so much to do and I can't focus, I feel like I am already grieving for this cycle. I just need to get results so I can move on and make plans. I am so tired of being depressed...

Sandy, you still have SO many schools left to hear back from yet. You're definitely still in this game. Don't stress out. Perhaps the toughest part is not knowing where we will live next year, but it's all apart of this game we are forced to play as academics. Sit tight! And the last thing you should do is be depressed. There are worse things than not getting into grad school- but as I said you've still got time. Good luck, dear.