Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

This is my first post in this giant thread, so I didn't go through it all.

I anyone else applying to CU-Boulder? It's certainly my top choice in terms of location, but I feel that I'm needlessly driving myself crazy by checking the website so often - based on the results survey, it seems that they don't make decisions until mid/late March :(

Edited by grlu0701

Outstanding! I, too, am a Pearl Jammer. I must ask, what is your favorite album?

Ten and Vs., although I LOVE Backspacer. I saw them in San Diego back in 2009 (gosh, was it that long ago?) when they were introducing the album. Amongst the Waves is my absolute favorite song* in that album, though my all-time favorite is, without a doubt, Black.

How about you?

*Edited to add

Edited by teachgrad

You people are nuts! The 80s is where it's at! After WW II folks pass on, title of Greatest Generation will be ours!

PS you're welcome for Facebook

And you're welcome for the Personal Computer that was used to create, and allows you to use, Facebook. :P

80's is totally where it's at. Who rocked a sideways pony tail, mismatched and brightly colored socks, and horrendous color choices? I did. All before the age of 5.

And for whoever mentioned the Boy Bands, sigh. That was my life too. I can't believe my parents get the Beatles, the Stones, etc. And i get *NSYNC. FML.

I rocked the flannel shirts, black chucks and permanent moping in the early 90's. I did, however, shower, in an utter betrayal of my generation.

Ten and Vs., my all-time favorite is, without a doubt, Black.

How about you?

Vs is an excellent album, but I am partisan to Yield. In regard to my favorite song, it is a tie between In My Tree and Hold On (Lost Dogs). I am dying for another tour. I did a three show run in 2010, and that has been far too long.

Since you noted that you enjoyed Ten, you may want to check out a piece called "Acoustic #1" on Youtube. It is a demo that never made it onto the album, but is very, very good.

Enjoy!

Edited by ArcLight

love affair over. the who is the greatest. (is? are?)

favourite album: no code

favourite song: i got id

And in a move that surprises no one, SL's biggest groupie (a.k.a. me) is co-signing this statement, in the context that The Who> Zepplin simply b/c of Jimmy Paige associating with that abomination of the Kashmir sample used in that awful awful Godzilla remake

Since we are comparing music and culture over the recent eras, allow me...

The early 90s jammed! PJ, STP, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, the Femmes, U2 (ok, every era of music can claim U2...), Black Crowes, Alice in Chains, 10,000 maniacs, Cranberries- to name only a few...

...not to mention the oldies of the day were still goodies: Aerosmith, Joe Walsh, Tom Petty, Sound Garden, Prince, The Stones, The Boss

...oh you say Hip-Hop and rap were your style: Snoop and Dre, Naughty by Nature, Cypress Hill, House of Pain, A tribe called Quest, Biggy and 2pac

I was born in the early 70s, so I say for music the ranked list of eras goes like this:

1. Early to mid 90s, see above

2. Early to mid 70s, very 90s-ish but the aesthetics give the 90s the edge (that is the 70s aeshetics give the 90s the edge by default)

3.Mid to late 60s, very top heavy with legendary talent: Doors, Stones, Jimi, Janis, Beatles

4. Late 80s- rock got a little harder (GNR) a little more soulful (U2, INXS) and rap was strong (Kool J, Majic Mike, NWA and PE)

t5 Late 70sto early 80s, Disco and bubble gum pop get all the pub, but the Rap pioneers were GREAT (Curtis Blow, Slick Rick, Run DMC)

t5 Early 2000s, strong rappers (Nelly, Snoop, Ja-Rule) and pop was actually at its best (Destiny's Child, Christina Aguilera)

Not Ranked:

The 50s: Over-rated bubble gum stuff, lyris were as shallow as the rips

Mid 80s: only a little better music-wise, but the hair and clothes were everybit as cheesy as the music

Last 8-10 years: The hip-hop and rap is all re-cycled bling-n-babe trash, the rock sounds like they are in pain when they sing, at least I am in pain when they sing (that means you nickle-back)

OK, youngin', there's your contemporary music history lesson. Some other members who are as old as me may disagree...but they're wrong. This is the definitive source for the musical hierarchy over the past 50-60 years...

That was fun, but took way too long...back to work...

Edited by Hopin'-n-Prayin'

I LOVE 90s alternative music. STP. The Toadies.

I'm glad we're a bunch of awesome people. I'm glad you'll all by colleagues of mine someday!

Sorry for my brevity, I am watching Downton Abbey and it's hard to tear away from the TV

Edited by Kelkel

dammit, you should've come to pitt. i've seen pearl jam live over 30 times.

:ph34r:

Geez. They don't come down to SoCal very often... when they do I go to San Diego, since that's Eddie's hometown and they play really long sets.

uh. yeah. huh. cuhhhhm with me. *kashmir riff*

i close my eyeeeees

aaannnnd iii seeeeeeee

yooooouuuuuu

stahhhhhhndiiing theeeere

i cryyyyy

teeeeeeeears

of sorrroooooow

iii diiiiiiiiiiieeee

*kashmir riff*

diddy is the worst.

He sampled Kashmir?!?!?!?!?!?! Is NOTHING sacred anymore?

What's next, sample Bridge Over Troubled Water? Yesterday? Smells Like Teen Spirit?

diddy is the worst.

He is musical kryptonite .... he might get you a hit but then he steals your soul. Show me a musical act that has been associated w/that man that has had a long lasting & successful career

In light of Diddy's indiscretions, I have replaced him with Ja-Rule in my line-up of great rappers from the early 2000s (what, no Jay-Z, you ask? Rapping is rhyming, and Jay-Z cannot rhyme. Its almost like he has a religious objection to rhyming when he raps...though I do remember about 10 years ago when my ring tone was a music only version of Big Pimpin'...Oseirus, I'll take some dap if you dont mind...

Edited by Hopin'-n-Prayin'