Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

Would anyone care to claim that shiny new acceptance from UGA? The applicant indicated that he/she received an email, but I was under the impression that the GS would be sending correspondence via snail mail. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

That's me. I broke down and wrote the DGS, and after a day or two, he responded back with notification of my acceptance and a pdf of my letter. It seems like they are mailing letters out now, though. Not sure if that's where I'm going to go, but it's a terrific option in a stellar program for southern history....I didn't know making the decision was going to be so difficult! Good luck, I hope you hear good news too!

That's me. I broke down and wrote the DGS, and after a day or two, he responded back with notification of my acceptance and a pdf of my letter. It seems like they are mailing letters out now, though. Not sure if that's where I'm going to go, but it's a terrific option in a stellar program for southern history....I didn't know making the decision was going to be so difficult! Good luck, I hope you hear good news too!

Congrats!

Thanks for your swift response, and congratulations! UGA does have a fantastic southern history program, which is my field as well. Good on you for emailing the DGS; they're taking their sweet ol' time with decisions. Please feel free to private message me to chat in more depth. Congrats once again!

Edited by connor.mallard

On 3/21/2012 at 9:22 AM, Nordicllama said:

Finally UNC officially delivers the bad news :)

I haven't heard from them yet (I assume I'll be rejected too!). But hey, why should it matter, we're both going to WashU next year! B)

On 3/21/2012 at 1:36 PM, oseirus said:

Sorry to hear that buddy ... maybe UGA has some good news forthcoming? :)

On 3/21/2012 at 5:47 PM, taybaxter said:

I haven't heard from them yet (I assume I'll be rejected too!). But hey, why should it matter, we're both going to WashU next year! B)

On 3/21/2012 at 12:45 PM, pugsley87 said:

They did? How'd you find out?

They sent me an email this morning telling me my status was now available on my online application. But indeed, UGA emailed me with a funded masters! Though, as Taybaxter has said, WashU is still the leader! B)

@Taybaxter I think you're going to end up being the kind of historian that many of those who said "no" to you will end up scratching their down the line while wondering "What were we thinking?"

@Taybaxter I think you're going to end up being the kind of historian that many of those who said "no" to you will end up scratching their down the line while wondering "What were we thinking?"

I just hope whoever becomes a superstar off of here doesn't forget us folk from their yesteryears

I just hope whoever becomes a superstar off of here doesn't forget us folk from their yesteryears

I already have 3 schools who are sitting on the "Losers' Bench." Luckily though, I have 2 POIs from 2 schools who are already working with me on some of my materials so it's really a win-win situation and I couldn't be happier. Third school? POI's loss and potentially his advisee's gain. :)

I already have 3 schools who are sitting on the "Losers' Bench." Luckily though, I have 2 POIs from 2 schools who are already working with me on some of my materials so it's really a win-win situation and I couldn't be happier. Third school? POI's loss and potentially his advisee's gain. :)

TMP I love your attitude!

Finally heard back from UNC, which makes me officially done (not that I wasn't done before since I assumed UNC was a no). Anyway, with any luck, I'll be making my decision before the weekend. Anyone else a tad scared all of a sudden by how many years this will take?

Finally heard back from UNC, which makes me officially done (not that I wasn't done before since I assumed UNC was a no). Anyway, with any luck, I'll be making my decision before the weekend. Anyone else a tad scared all of a sudden by how many years this will take?

Right here ... this guy ... reality hasn't set in yet ... probably won't till the fall once I choose a school? Or if I even choose a school :)

On 3/21/2012 at 8:24 PM, Sigaba said:

Aww, thanks Sigaba! That's the plan of course :D .

I'm lucky to have WashU though. I won a second fellowship in American Studies from them last week, so I don't think I'll be turning them down.

NYU is ruining my life

I just emailed them. Did you check that you are willing to consider an MA with them if they reject you for Ph.D.? I did and I suspect that's the reason I haven't heard.

I just emailed them. Did you check that you are willing to consider an MA with them if they reject you for Ph.D.? I did and I suspect that's the reason I haven't heard.

I did. I wouldn't consider it without funding because I have other funded PhD offers. Would you be so kind as to convey what they tell you? PM if you wish.

I definitely drifted away from this place. I'll provide an update for those who are curious and for posterity's sake. I was on the waitlist for funding at Binghamton (MA), but about a week after I was notified of this fact, I was released funding. Pending some answers to some questions I have, I have a feeling I might end up there. Miami is still in second place. I will probably decline my spot at UTD soon.

Also, today in the mail I finally got a response from BC. Denied from PhD (which I was already notified of) but accepted in the MA program. I doubt there is funding, so I will probably decline that as well.

Still nothing from Notre Dame. Seems like they took my money and ran!

I definitely drifted away from this place. I'll provide an update for those who are curious and for posterity's sake. I was on the waitlist for funding at Binghamton (MA), but about a week after I was notified of this fact, I was released funding. Pending some answers to some questions I have, I have a feeling I might end up there. Miami is still in second place. I will probably decline my spot at UTD soon.

Also, today in the mail I finally got a response from BC. Denied from PhD (which I was already notified of) but accepted in the MA program. I doubt there is funding, so I will probably decline that as well.

Still nothing from Notre Dame. Seems like they took my money and ran!

I'm so happy that you got funding .... and typical religious scam artist ... come in w/piousness and then as soon as they get the money ... ZOOM!

PS (devout Catholic here, let me mock the Domers .... beats making racist Irish jokes, which I got all out of my system last week)

I'm so happy that you got funding .... and typical religious scam artist ... come in w/piousness and then as soon as they get the money ... ZOOM!

PS (devout Catholic here, let me mock the Domers .... beats making racist Irish jokes, which I got all out of my system last week)

Haha, as someone who grew up both Catholic and Irish, MOCK EVERYONE!

And thanks! I'm lurking to make sure I see where everyone else ends up (and who I might be reapplying with in two years).

And thanks! I'm lurking to make sure I see where everyone else ends up (and who I might be reapplying with in two years).

ME! ME! ME! ME!* If this hasn't swayed you from reappyling then I don't know what else will

*it's not official but it is ALMOST certain that I will have to go the MA route :'(

ME! ME! ME! ME!* If this hasn't swayed you from reappyling then I don't know what else will

*it's not official but it is ALMOST certain that I will have to go the MA route :'(

Well, go back to that part of the thread where everyone was telling me how much more awesome they were after they got through their MA program. It definitely helped me! And I'll be glad to have a familiar face when that time comes around (and one that posts waaayyy more than me :D)

Well, go back to that part of the thread where everyone was telling me how much more awesome they were after they got through their MA program. It definitely helped me! And I'll be glad to have a familiar face when that time comes around (and one that posts waaayyy more than me :D)

I can't help it (w/the excessive posting)... I presumptuously "retired" from my job and thought I would have WAY more things to do w/my free time but nope ... outside of reading books to prep I don't have a whole lot going on ... and yes I am aware my 22 year old self is furiously building a time machine to reek havoc and to exact his revenge for what I have done to "his" life