Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Hi there folks,

just to add an update of what has *been going on*

So am keeping myself busy with work, but also keeping an eye on the applications. I found out two things, one cool and the other not so much:

1. I can edit my application even after submitting it!! YES ! It might seem odd when you submit all the paper work, and especially the SOP and writing sample (for us folks in the humanities out there) that everything is FINAL. It's not like the websites and admission officers/officials don't make that clear to you. But I had a trick up my sleeve--I called a few times in the Fall of ask questions and familiarized myself with the *nice* and *not so nice* admissions officers out there who will of course be responsible for arraigning my paperwork and receiving it, etc.

So after I submitted I looked at my SOP and writing sample and corrected a few mistakes. Nothing major, but a few spelling errors, a few other additions to my SOP, and so on. I did this after a professor kindly corrected them for me. I trust his judgment so gave it a shot---and guess what! I called the admissions officers up and asked them very politely if I could submit *new and revised* copies of my paper work. At this point I was expecting a flat-out no since *there's so much work, you already submitted, we cant honor that request, blah blah blah* but YES! some of them DID accept my work again by email and put it into my application. That is very nice, it gives me peace of my at least. Some of them did refuse, since the *rounds* have started.

2. That officially colleges have to inform you of their decisions by April 15. Yes, I know some of you have applied before, some received offers (congrats goldielocks),but for first timers such as myself that's a long ways down. I'm hoping I get the acceptance/rejection letters from my top schools first, so I can decide early. Any thoughts on this??

3. Also, I have decided to email the professors I was in touch with all through Fall and just touch base with the. *dear Prof. X, I submitted my application in blah blah and ....* just to have my name pop out in their minds. If i could I would enter their dreams. Any thoughts as well?

good luck chumps

@Goldie. Congratulations on news of the nomination for the fellowship. While there's a certain prudence to taking TMP's advice and waiting until you see it in writing, consider the possibility that the information was disclosed to you for specific reasons and to use the disclosure to your advantage. (FWIW, I am not surprised. You and a few others here are 'ten feet tall.' Candidly, I'm somewhat relieved that I didn't have to compete against you for admissions to programs.)

@SapperDaddy With respect, if you're a 12 series, and/or have been deployed in support of OIF and/or OEF, and/or use this same screen name elsewhere, you may want to increase your level of PERSEC.

In any case, you might consider upping the level of your SA. The comment that follows is representative of the type of behavior that is UNSAT in a graduate history program.

Once you pop your paper cherry, it's much easier from then on.

@ALCON-- To the extent possible, do all you can to manage the constellation of emotions surrounding your wait. Do all you can to stay focused on the objective at hand (the book you're reading, the paper you're writing, the class you're taking. the course you're teaching). This narrow focus will help the days of waiting go by a bit more quickly. The focus will also help you to finish strong and position yourself to get a 'running start' as you prepare yourselves for the next set of challenges.

If there's an expressed interest, we who are ahead of you in the "pipeline" can build a thread in which we share tips/suggestions/recommendations on how to manage the transition from candidate for admission to graduate school to graduate student seeking a doctorate degree. (Ironically, some of those who will have earned M.A.'s by the time you enter the next phase may find it inexplicably more difficult.)

"@SapperDaddy With respect, if you're a 12 series, and/or have been deployed in support of OIF and/or OEF, and/or use this same screen name elsewhere, you may want to increase your level of PERSEC.

In any case, you might consider upping the level of your SA. The comment that follows is representative of the type of behavior that is UNSAT in a graduate program"

What does this mean? Is it a bot? So professors actually do work on their papers before conferences?

Sorry. I know it's off topic and that i just outed myself as a

technological neophyte, but the cherry comment was odd.......

Edited by crazedandinfused

lesson learned: don't post drunk. Yes, old 12B, but not from OIF, KFOR. And no, just made this name up on a whim, never used it before.

Sorry to offend. And I was speaking of the few conferences I've been to. Some papers were great, others, no so much and were probably just jotted down on a napkin.

Basically, some conferences are way laid back, supportive, especially of grad students. Others, not so much.

Again sorry.

Wow, so I just googled my handle and I would like to publicly state that I am NOT the crazedandinfused that blogs at blogspot. No insult to her, or to "crazy feminists" in general (I am as close to one as someone who identifies as male can be), but I just don't want to have any of her potentially maniacal missives attributed to me.

I thought this handle was original... I'm just a little neurotic and I love Led Zep and tea :(

Oh, and I'm sorry for my sarcasm, sapdaddy.. I thought you were a bot. And yes, if one does get drunk it's best just to eat or sleep. Listen to me, sounding like my Jewish-Hippie-Mom.

Edited by crazedandinfused

@Goldie. Congratulations on news of the nomination for the fellowship. While there's a certain prudence to taking TMP's advice and waiting until you see it in writing, consider the possibility that the information was disclosed to you for specific reasons and to use the disclosure to your advantage. (FWIW, I am not surprised. You and a few others here are 'ten feet tall.' Candidly, I'm somewhat relieved that I didn't have to compete against you for admissions to programs.)

This is so kind of you to say. I would like to emphasize (again, as you've noted), that this is all an informal affair at this point, and certainly not an offer. I will not know until February. I am hoping that it's a good sign, and that's about as much as I'm willing to read into it at this point. But still, thanks for saying something so nice, Sig.

And Sapper — no worries. We all say silly things when we're drunk. (Some are more brilliant than others: http://www.funnyordie.com/drunkhistory)

How are you all doing with waiting? I am more excited than anything at this point. I feel like this is the time to enjoy the process, because it still seems like anything can happen — before we start getting rejections. Trying to savor how up in the air everything feels at this point.

If there's an expressed interest, we who are ahead of you in the "pipeline" can build a thread in which we share tips/suggestions/recommendations on how to manage the transition from candidate for admission to graduate school to graduate student seeking a doctorate degree. (Ironically, some of those who will have earned M.A.'s by the time you enter the next phase may find it inexplicably more difficult.)

Also, I think this would be tremendously helpful. I am curious what you mean about the transition from the MA to the PhD being "inexplicably more difficult." I'm going to have my MA. Do you mean in terms of what's expected of you as a doctoral student, research expectations, any teaching obligations, etc?

Consider this an expression of interest!

This is so kind of you to say. I would like to emphasize (again, as you've noted), that this is all an informal affair at this point, and certainly not an offer. I will not know until February. I am hoping that it's a good sign, and that's about as much as I'm willing to read into it at this point. But still, thanks for saying something so nice, Sig.

And Sapper — no worries. We all say silly things when we're drunk. (Some are more brilliant than others: http://www.funnyordie.com/drunkhistory)

How are you all doing with waiting? I am more excited than anything at this point. I feel like this is the time to enjoy the process, because it still seems like anything can happen — before we start getting rejections. Trying to savor how up in the air everything feels at this point.

drunk history is AWESOME!

Just out of curiosity, is anyone here applying for a PhD in African history? I tried to find a thread dedicated to that topic but I can't seem to find anything specifically so I'll see who I can find here. Trying to see the general calibre of students who have applied, what their experience has been up to this point, what are the general numbers usually associated with acceptance for African History, etc. I know this is kind of vague (probably redundant) and kind of late but whatever info I can get, I'll be appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

Goldie, I think that the transition from MA to PhD will be tough if you didn't receive extremely rigorous training. I think there will be higher level of analysis involved as well as the need to read widely as possible to make cogent arguments in your papers and seminars. As you may have learned while doing the book review, you have to learn to evaluate work as critically as possible and write succinctly.

Also, as you go through coursework for the PhD, you will invariably be prepping for the comprehensive exams that are required of you.

Just higher level of expectations.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone here applying for a PhD in African history? I tried to find a thread dedicated to that topic but I can't seem to find anything specifically so I'll see who I can find here. Trying to see the general calibre of students who have applied, what their experience has been up to this point, what are the general numbers usually associated with acceptance for African History, etc. I know this is kind of vague (probably redundant) and kind of late but whatever info I can get, I'll be appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

Nice to meet you! :)

@SapperDaddy With respect, if you're a 12 series, and/or have been deployed in support of OIF and/or OEF, and/or use this same screen name elsewhere, you may want to increase your level of PERSEC.

In any case, you might consider upping the level of your SA. The comment that follows is representative of the type of behavior that is UNSAT in a graduate history program.

@ALCON-- To the extent possible, do all you can to manage the constellation of emotions surrounding your wait. Do all you can to stay focused on the objective at hand (the book you're reading, the paper you're writing, the class you're taking. the course you're teaching). This narrow focus will help the days of waiting go by a bit more quickly. The focus will also help you to finish strong and position yourself to get a 'running start' as you prepare yourselves for the next set of challenges.

Not to be ignorant...but what do all the acronyms stand for? :)

Not to be ignorant...but what do all the acronyms stand for? :)

Military stuff. 12 series refers to my MOS-Military Occupational Specialty. 12 series MOS used to be engineers, now that has changed to 21 series. I was a 12B-combat engineer. OIF is Operation Iraqi Freedom. OEF is Operation Enduring freedom. I got out of the military right before that kicked off, but did serve as part of KFOR-Kosovo Force. PERSEC is personal security.

And I tracked what he was saying like a blue tick.

I'm only teaching four sections of WHI this time. Not a lot of prep, I just wanted/needed to make some big changes to my syllabus. The first draft of the syllabus is done, I just need to look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow.

Thanks! It will be much easier with all of the apps out of the way. I just need to tweak a few lectures and I'll have to do some work on the exams. But overall, I think that it will be a much easier semester.

PS: Where is everyone? I feel like the board just died all of a sudden, as soon as apps went out.

According to forum stats for 2011, January had 9,541 posts and February had 25,344 posts. So you're right! We won't see too much activity around here until decisions start rolling out.