Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Speaking of NG, check out the book 'Reading National Geographic.' I haven't been able to look at the magazine the same way since.

That looks friggin' amazing. It's a complicated feeling when you find out that people have written (or are writing) the book that you wanted to write. But I think that there's room for more study. Especially if you look at how representations have changed since NG's founding in the golden-age of anthropological chauvinism. Anyway....

It's funny how different LinkedIn and Academia.edu works in terms of keyword searches. With my academia.edu, people generally google my full name and my MA granting university (one time I had someone from Argentina...).

But! When I was looking for jobs, I was quite proactive with LinkedIn and people did search me there. I was nervous that it might be the hiring managers so I put my best foot out there. Then last December, I decided to take advantage of the "free" trial and I was very, very sorely disappointed. For most part, none of the hiring managers looked up my LinkedIn profile and people who did look at it did so because they used my primary workplace in their keyword search. *sigh* Academics seem to like me better than non-academics.

So yeah, don't waste your time with the "paid" subscription on LinkedIn.

Should I be worried?

I'm a high school teacher, and one of my letters was, in fact, from my principal (I've been out of academia for 12 years).

Needless to say, I have a "rate my teachers page." Most of the "reviews" are fine... some great, some OK. But the last one I saw was from some kid who clearly had an issue with me, and wrote some rather nasty things on there - basically said I was horrible and that I cuss. (NOT TRUE)

I've been googled 5 times... so I'm sure they came across that.

Given that college students also write nasty things on "Rate my Professors," do you think an adcom would weigh something like that heavily and possibly reject me?

Yeah, I'm a worrywart. :(

Edited by teachgrad

teachgrad, I wouldn't woryy. As professors, they probably know from reviews that people who say negative things like that are often overblown. I always take reviews (of anything) with a grain of salt, because people who want to complain will take the effort more than people who thought good things.

The stuff that gets posted on sites like rate my teacher/professor is ridiculous.

iequaljoan Congrats on the NYU invitation! I am hoping that my field hasn't finished making decisions yet. :)

I was googled a few times in December, but nothing recently. I would love to start getting some notifications that I am being searched... I have a fairly common name, so searches for me are usually combined with my teaching institution. I just want to start getting yays or nays so the suspense and obsession can end...

Back to grading quizzes...

Should I be worried?

I'm a high school teacher, and one of my letters was, in fact, from my principal (I've been out of academia for 12 years).

Needless to say, I have a "rate my teachers page." Most of the "reviews" are fine... some great, some OK. But the last one I saw was from some kid who clearly had an issue with me, and wrote some rather nasty things on there - basically said I was horrible and that I cuss. (NOT TRUE)

I've been googled 5 times... so I'm sure they came across that.

Given that college students also write nasty things on "Rate my Professors," do you think an adcom would weigh something like that heavily and possibly reject me?

Yeah, I'm a worrywart. :(

Every professor I know passionately hates ratemyprofessor.com. The stuff on there can be truly malicious. I think if the reviews were bad across the board, they might take it seriously (I do know that for one university in the UC system -- and I think this is crazy -- that they sometimes use it when debating salary increases.) But one bad review? I think any decent addcom ought to know better than to take that seriously.

Oh no! Condolences to the Yale rejectee who just posted :(

Awww, I second this. Know that a lot of us are getting rejected from Yale, so you're not alone. Hopefully better things to come for whoever this is!

I literally saw: "The professor was having really bad grammar."

*facepalm* Where are people getting their pre-college education?

Edited by ticklemepink

Man Yale is efficient w/their timing but tha really does suck for the person who got rejected ... I know not all the schools I applied to have even met yet so there's that comforting thought for them that there are other schools still making decisions as we speak

*facepalm* Where are people getting their pre-college education?

It's really astonishing. I'm super excited to teach, but I fear that once I'm actually in the classroom I'll be sickened and horrified.But I suppose that is precisely the reason why I want to teach in the first place. I'm sure some of you TAs could speak to this.....

It's really astonishing. I'm super excited to teach, but I fear that once I'm actually in the classroom I'll be sickened and horrified.But I suppose that is precisely the reason why I want to teach in the first place. I'm sure some of you TAs could speak to this.....

I was a student assistant in undergrad. I got to grade a few things here and there, including an open book map quiz that he had everyone do for Western Civ. You'd be shocked at how wrong people would get things... even will the help of a map in front of them. Someone wrote "atlantic ocean" on the horn of Africa once (granted, the map didn't have Africa completely drawn in since it focused on Europe), but there was nothing more pleasing than writing on it "No, this is Africa."

If only I had written down some of the gems people came up with on the reading quizzes. Especially defining predestination.

And re RateMyProfessors, I literally saw: "The professor was having really bad grammar."

That reminds me... I once took a class on the Holocaust taught by a Rabbi (it was technically a religion course). She was a stickler about spelling and grammar issues. One reviewer on her ratemyprofessor page, predictably, called her a "grammar nazi" with no trace of self-awareness. Amazing.

I've found ratemyprofessor useful in my undergrad experience, though. It's pretty easy to tell which reviews come from serious, thoughtful students and which come from the students who simply want an A for showing up. RMP has led me to look into a few great courses and professors that I otherwise wouldn't have known of.

grad students in my department have a wall of shame in the grad lounge, featuring all of the hilariously ridiculous answers that students (names redacted) have put in papers and exams. one of my favourites is insisting that computers were invented in the 1800s and helped end the civil war. i had one student define the nation of islam (in addition to the correct information i was looking for) as "those dudes with the bitchin' fedoras." he made me laugh so i gave him bonus points.

my experience at a very large semi-private institution with a huge sports program and most students from the local area is that the kids are unsurprisingly average. not that many brilliant ones, but not that many who really struggle with the basics either. the only times i've been really worried about students' abilities to read and write, they had either already been flagged by the school as "at risk" kids that got extra assistance and monitoring or they were athletes. (i've also had brilliant athletes and at-risk students.)

one kid that absolutely broke my heart would just never speak in class. and it was a small room, only 8 students. he could barely bring himself to say hello to me and never spoke to other students. he really struggled with the material all year long, but when it came to this special creative writing assignment (writing historical fiction using information from their readings and lectures), he really ran with it. granted, he didn't actually use any of the material from his texts :lol: , but he did have a real narrative voice and great imagination. he was finally expressing himself. he told me as he handed it in that he loved that assignment because he wants to be a writer. ugh. that kid is heartbreaking.

Edited by StrangeLight

Argh! Since I was at such a small school, I didn't actually quote any of the answers on my Facebook. I did comment that someone used text speak in the essay. I like this Timeline thing for remembering what I have since forgot.

I wonder if the person who posted the Yale rejection is one of the people who were interviewed.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the only way you'd be hearing a decision at this point is if the interviewer or your POI communicated the result to you (because the Grad School certainly hasn't sent notifications yet).

I should mention that I did end up getting an interview as well. And, I'm wondering if I should be expecting the ax to fall this week...

Edited by crater21

I wonder if the person who posted the Yale rejection is one of the people who were interviewed.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the only way you'd be hearing a decision at this point is if the interviewer or your POI communicated the result to you (because the Grad School certainly hasn't sent notifications yet).

I should mention that I did end up getting an interview as well. And, I'm wondering if I should be expecting the ax to fall this week...

I think in past years Yale has referred PhD applicants to the various area studies MA programs in late January, so it doesn't seem out of the ordinary/connected to the interviews necessarily.