Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Ditto on the comments about the waiting game. Actually, med applicants are better to talk with. They have interviews! They have to wait months just like us! They have to make big decisions- whether or not to take out massive loans... Law applicants... meh.

I had already told my friends and family not to bother me until March. And the family really doesn't. Friends.. well... they're just excited. :)

Wow, people are already hearing back? That's really exciting (and simultaneously nerve-wracking!).

I see the majority here are interested in European and American history. Anyone interested in African?

Well hello there Singwaya. I'm also interested in Africa, primarily west Africa and the pre-Colonial/Colonial era (i.e., 1600-1900). I want to focus on the interaction between the Africans and the Europeans, more so prior to the Congress of Berlin.

So hopefully tomorrow will be more like today around here. Ready to get things moving. Anyone wanna make any predictions?

I'd like to say I will get an interview and at least two acceptances today, but alas that's too much to ask for! Aside from the slightly higher chance of hearing about the interviews for Notre Dame today, I doubt much will come for me.

Congrats to everyone who has heard good news in the past day!

As far as predictions go, I think will get rejcted from Harvard & Cornell & U Chicago, waitlisted at Emory & Johns Hopkins, and accepted to the rest. I'm trying to be realistic. Hopefully, I'm plesantly surprised.

Ooh! I think we have the makings of some fun postings here!

I predict I get accepted into Cornell, UNC-CH and U of I; rejected by Yale, Princeton, Rutgers and Penn; waitlisted by UW-M

My criteria for my predictions are the exactness of my matches with the faculty, the size of the usual admitted cohort (Rutgers: only 12-15!!!) and the amount of influence I believe my relatively well known and esteemed top-dog recommender pulls at the various schools...

All that said, I will be THRILLED to get a fully-funded spot to any one of the places I applied...

(Whew...that was actually therapeutic...I suggest others give it a try...)

(how does some have the handle "dukelover" who did not apply to duke....?)

Edited by ADMITedlyLucky

(Whew...that was actually therapeutic...I suggest others give it a try...)

(how does some have the handle "dukelover" who did not apply to duke....?)

haha I get that all the time. it actually refers to my first dog ever who passed away. Not to be bummed out

After my little phone conversation, I'm a bit too rattled to say where I might be admitted. It must be said that my conversation was lovely, 100%, but still: Heart pounds.

Flo, I must have missed this, and I'm on my phone so it's a little tedious to try looking for it. Did you have an interview? Congratulations! Wherever it was, I hope it went great.

First of all, congratulations to those who are receiving acceptances/offers. That is great news.

I applied to 9 programs and I've already received 2 acceptances; but those are both from places I chose to be "safeties" (which I have since been told does not really exist). I've heard nothing for a while though.

I guess it's great to know that I at least have somewhere to go if no one else says "yes?"

Best of luck to everyone!

First of all, congratulations to those who are receiving acceptances/offers. That is great news.

I applied to 9 programs and I've already received 2 acceptances; but those are both from places I chose to be "safeties" (which I have since been told does not really exist). I've heard nothing for a while though. I guess it's great to know that I at least have somewhere to go if no one else says "yes?"

Best of luck to everyone!

Congrats on your two acceptances!!! That's amazing. Most of the folks on this board would do anything for that, so you should be quite happy/proud. And congrats to Superfluous!!

This might be the last calm Friday for next 8 weeks. Can we please keep this same thread going? It'll totally be > 100 pages.

Edited by crazedandinfused

Congrats on your two acceptances!!! That's amazing. Most of the folks on this board would do anything for that, so you should be quite happy/proud. And congrats to Superfluous!!

This might be the last calm Friday for next 8 weeks. Can we please keep this same thread going? It'll totally be > 100 pages.

Agreed on all counts! Two acceptances at this point is awesome, this probably is the calm before the (hopefully extremely pleasant, rewarding, and beneficent) storm, and this thread is going to be crazy long.

This is true. I'm celebrating what may be my last non-miserable/nervous Friday by treating myself to a long lunch, alone, with my research.

Edited by goldielocks

This is true. I'm celebrating what may be my last non-miserable/nervous Friday by treating myself to a long lunch, alone, with my research.

Somehow I am still nervous. I'm flying home next Friday afternoon...there will most likely be some violations of airplane mode during that flight.

Congrats to everyone!

Got an email from the Director of Graduate Studies at USC, where I received an acceptance last week. Visiting weekend is March 3rd-6th. Hope it doesn't conflict with anywhere else, assuming, you know, that I get in anywhere else...

Ugh...ever since I cleared up my maiden name/married name transcript issue (they didn't put the maiden name transcripts in my file- although I had noted it as a former name- and thus were not considering my application...without bothering to inform me online- I called because I had seen people here receive answers already) I am worried that my application won't be considered. Again, because the hist. dept. lady was not thrilled that I called (though the grad off told me to) and she was pretty mean about it. :( Meh. I should just assume rejection...