Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Cheer up! They are probably just running around with the start of classes or maybe off at a conference or something. Plus depending on how they respond to stuff or whatever, they might be slow. (Do all admin stuff on weekends or something.) Probably a mix of all of them really so you're on the right track. After all it looks like you have 1 application done already, so I'm sure you're way ahead in other stuff!

thanks mae. the one I completed is for the uni. where I did my M.A. so I know I'll have a supervisor there! I keep hearing that if you don't secure potential supervisors before you apply, there's a good chance you will not be accepted as a random "hey where did you come from?" applicant. I'll keep y'all posted if they reply! *crossing fingers*

University of Michigan-Ann Arbor is one of the top schools for African history, so I'm a bit disappointed to hear I can't apply there. Most schools also take 1-2 students in the field, while Michigan took 5 for fall 2011. So needless to say, I'm a bit anxious now that they're crossed off my list, especially when the other schools I've found to 'fit' are quite ambitious on my part. But it's a bit of a crapshoot, right? :unsure:

Well, folks... I take the GRE Monday. I have to say: I feel grossly under-prepared. But between a myriad of health problems, two conferences, coursework, the thesis, and the rest of the application business... I just want to get it over with.

Anyone else taking the exam soon?

Best of luck! I found going in with the "f*ck it, I just need to get this done" mindset was quite helpful, actually.

At what point in this semester -if at any point at all- would it be ok for me to ask a professor whose class I'm currently taking for a LOR? I would like to have as many historians as possible writing for me..... I could ask him once I get my grade, but that would be past most of my deadlines. Sigh.

Also, would it come off as cheesy to say in my SOP that I know that I want to teach and that instead of counting sheep at night I construct various syllabi in my head? Just a thought.

Edited by crazedandinfused

Haha, Safferz. That is where my mind is, exactly. So I'm glad to hear it helped you. I just have bigger fish to fry right now.

I've been working diligently at contacting those potential advisors still left on my list. Sadly, one huge name in my field responded yesterday to let me know that my research sounds "fascinating," but she'll be on leave next year. BOO.

Better to know now than later.

Glad to hear everyone's updates as the application season looms closer. Good luck to fellow GRE takers this week. I was sad to learn that you can only take this exam once every 60 days... so this my one and only shot with the new exam. Oh well.

Edited by goldielocks

Oh cool... woke up with a blinding migraine (Literally. I have hemiplegic migraines). So I called and cancelled my test for today, then rescheduled for mid October. That's one way to get out of taking the GRE today, I suppose.

Going to pass out, since I'm typing out of my one good eye right now. BLAH.

I've been working diligently at contacting those potential advisors still left on my list. Sadly, one huge name in my field responded yesterday to let me know that my research sounds "fascinating," but she'll be on leave next year. BOO.

Goldie, do you have any tips for contacting profs? I've written a few emails, but they're just sitting in my word processor now. Every time I look at them, they feel contrived and phony. It just feels strange to send an unsolicited email in the first place. What sort of format or formula do you follow?

Thanks.

Goldie, do you have any tips for contacting profs? I've written a few emails, but they're just sitting in my word processor now. Every time I look at them, they feel contrived and phony. It just feels strange to send an unsolicited email in the first place. What sort of format or formula do you follow?

Thanks.

I've written an individual email for each person, tailored to how I've connected with their research, scholarship, etc. I briefly tell them about my current research and my proposed doctoral project, and ask if they plan to take on any new PhD students in the upcoming application cycle. I've been emailing one at a time for the past week or so, so that I don't get mixed up or overwhelmed. It seems to be working pretty well so far. I've also been told that it's important to be efficient (read: concise), so try to not to write anything too lengthy.

Overall, it's been a good experience so far; even the people who aren't taking on students have been very responsive and kind. It makes it less scary as time goes on.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

write this:

Hi, my name is X. I'm currently a student at the university of Y, working with Prof. Z. I'm applying to PhD programs this fall and I was wondering if you plan to take on new graduate students this year. I hope to study [one to two sentences on a broad topic that is still narrower than region and time period, such as "gender and land rights movements in 20th century India"] and I feel that it connects well with your own work on [one sentence, like "gender in modern India"]. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

student X.

Edited by StrangeLight

Rats. Just received my third "this-project-sounds-fantastic-and-I-am-excited-to-hear-where-it-takes-you-but-I'm-on-leave-and/or-not-taking-on-new-students-because-of-the-dismal-job-market-in-our-speciality-but-please-don't-let-this-discourage-you-because-this-project-sounds-great" e-mail.

Better to know now than later, yes, I know. But... just... BLAH. I appreciate the honesty. I just hate the dismal market right now. My list of programs is gradually being whittled away for me. At least I don't have to do the selecting where I apply.

goldie I received one the other day saying how they had too many PhD students, but they forwarded my e-mail to another prof who was delighted to hear from me and is willing to take me on. Can you ask that prof to refer you to someone else in their dept? or would that person be the obvious choice? If you really like the school/dept. why not ask?

I know it's very disappointing when you're hearing things you don't really want to hear because you want to make this year happen for you. We all don't like the market either. Professors do have to take turns getting new graduate students, especially as budget cuts are forcing departments to cut back the number of people they can take in. If not this year, then maybe next year! At some point, they do need to take in one student in British history, right?

Since you're in British history, have you looked into the UK at all?

Like I said, make sure you have other plans you're excited about!

I have not had much time at all to work on my app material. I got one of my samples back from my mentor but I have haven't had a chance to do any revisions. I have three other samples to work through for editing before I can give them to her. I have been dealing with hostile students all day who are angry that I failed them on a writing assignment because they didn't read the syllabus or listen to me in class. I really hope that I can carve out some time this weekend to do some of my own work, but it isn't looking good. Thanks for letting me vent. Hopefully next time I'll be back with more positive updates!

i'd also strongly urge even the most competitive candidates to apply to MA programs and smaller PhD programs as well as their shiny list of the "best" schools out there. the department of education is cutting title VI funding. that means that national resource centers and area studies programs are losing roughly half their funding this year alone and even more in future years. FLAS fellowships weren't canceled this year because the funds had already been distributed before the title VI funding was slashed, but next year (your year) this funding is going to really dry up. many programs rely on title VI funding and FLAS fellowships to pay for some of their admitted students' funding. the loss of this money means fewer admissions spots this year, when the number of spots has already been dropping since 2008/2009. title VI funding usually goes to the best schools in that region (russia/eastern europe, latin america, africa, asia, etc.) so if you're applying to the school with the best russian history program, that is precisely the school that is going to lose funding to support russian history students. awesome, huh?

You sure about this? And if FLAS is being whittled down, why would applying to MA help? It might just mean more "empty" admissions without funding, since MA funding sound as tough as a PhD fellowship, and will probably as be affected.

right, but it's easier to get into an MA program than a PhD one. the admissions are less competitive. from there, it's easier to get into a PhD program if you already have an MA than if you're just a BA.

and i'm fairly certain about the FLASes, since it was announced at the annual meeting of my area studies center as they tried to prepare us for a post-title VI world. they will be cut down, but not necessarily eliminated altogether, next year.

Is everyone staying sane? Calm? Not overwhelmed?

I am trying, but polishing two conference papers on top of applications and coursework is MAKING ME A LITTLE CRAZY.

How's everyone else holding up?

I'm with you, goldielocks! I'm also working on (err, starting) a conference paper for mid-November, taking a full course load and working on applications. I only started my SOP this week because I was so overwhelmed by the thought of it, but writing *something* has gotten me through the paralysis and I'm actually quite excited about what I have so far. I'm planning to contact professors over the next week, which is something I've also put off. I've been in a bit of a rut since taking the GRE just before classes started, but with deadlines around the corner, I'm back into the swing of things.

I am so slammed keeping up with my course load and hostile students, that I haven't had any time to edit writing samples or contact potential advisors. I am trying to get my exam written tomorrow so I can spend the rest of the weekend editing and reading. Hope springs eternal. My mentor keeps telling me that it never ends once you are TT, you are always trying to balance your teaching load with doing your own work and research. Sigh.

right, but it's easier to get into an MA program than a PhD one. the admissions are less competitive. from there, it's easier to get into a PhD program if you already have an MA than if you're just a BA.

and i'm fairly certain about the FLASes, since it was announced at the annual meeting of my area studies center as they tried to prepare us for a post-title VI world. they will be cut down, but not necessarily eliminated altogether, next year.

I see your point, MA as a stepping stone to a good Phd during a time when funding is tight. Though coughing up money for the degree (whether by the school or the student) is still an issue.

Let's cut education funding, now whose brilliant idea was that!

I'm with all of you! It's been crazy busy. I'm working full time, and finding it very difficult to focus on application stuff. The GRE is out of the way (thank goodness!). And, I have started to contact a few professors. But, my statement of purpose is not going anywhere. I just need a few days of no commitments and no distractions to make progress on it.

So, question about contacting professors: luckily, I have been getting some positive responses. But, I'm not sure how to follow up with them. Any advice?

For example, some of the professors I have contacted have written back with a very brief, "That sounds very interesting. I would be happy to supervise you if you are admitted. Good luck with the application etc etc"

So, how do you follow up on this? Do you just say thank you, and that is the end of exchange?

Crater, I've had a couple of those brief ones as well. I usually just say thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, and I am happy that they think my project is interesting, whatever. I keep it short and gracious (and sincere, of course). It seems to go over well.