Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

OH MY GOD! I got what I wanted from Wisconsin!!!! FIVE years of funding plus a 6th year of fellowship support in Israel for an exchange program.

I'm absolutely floored. God DAMMIT. Let the battle between OSU and Wisconsin start.

Just heard from my POI @ Northwestern that they are not done sending out admissions letters and that I (and the others on here already accepted to NU) were in the first wave. There are three more waves going out in the next week! So if a decision has not been rendered on your file yet, you are still in the running! Good luck everyone! :)

Edited by genesisy

Anybody care to claim the latest UVA fellowship nomination? :( You can PM me if you would be so kind

I am the newest UVA fellowship nominee - I have questions myself though. The Jefferson Fellowship is for 5 years and includes a stipend, tuition remission, health insurance, etc., i.e. all the elements of a normal funding package. However out of 50ish nominees only 12-15 are chosen. Does anyone know whether nominees who are not chosen for a Jefferson Fellowship are offered another source of funding, perhaps from their department? An acceptance at UVA would be bitterly cruel if the only possibility of funding was through another highly competitive process.

Where's my mailman??????????????

I might scream at him when he gets here. I probably shouldn't. He's just doing his job and I have the misfortune of being the last address on his route.

Congrats Hopin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just saw mine...going off to his lunch break. Doesn't he know that he has to deliver MY mail before HIS lunch break? ;OP

I am the newest UVA fellowship nominee - I have questions myself though. The Jefferson Fellowship is for 5 years and includes a stipend, tuition remission, health insurance, etc., i.e. all the elements of a normal funding package. However out of 50ish nominees only 12-15 are chosen. Does anyone know whether nominees who are not chosen for a Jefferson Fellowship are offered another source of funding, perhaps from their department? An acceptance at UVA would be bitterly cruel if the only possibility of funding was through another highly competitive process.

Hey, thanks for responding and big congratulations!!!!!! I would imagine, and I've been nominated for a university-wide fellowship elsewhere (but it's not UVA and I really, really want to go to UVA. oh, sorry), that if you don't get the fellowship the department tries to squeeze you in to the extent that they are able. StrangeLight wrote a really good post about this some eight billion pages ago. Basically, they will only nominate their top candidates for the fellowship. So you are in very good shape!! Have a drink on me.

:lol:

It was in a personal e-mail from my POI. Not completely official yet- a few more things to do and then within two weeks, it will be mine.

I'm so stunned. I'm telling you. I've met him before. This almost doesn't surprise me that this POI is being really aggressive when he wants something.

Now the really fun thing would be if I get in where he got his PhD...

yes, i am frantic right now to find out (which I confess with a mixture of honesty and shame)

does yours say you classified as out of state?

Yes, it says I'm classified as "out of state" and that I've been officially admitted, but that's about it.

It was in a personal e-mail from my POI. Not completely official yet- a few more things to do and then within two weeks, it will be mine.

I'm so stunned. I'm telling you. I've met him before. This almost doesn't surprise me that this POI is being really aggressive when he wants something.

Now the really fun thing would be if I get in where he got his PhD...

Thanks so much for the info, TMP! That's really good to know. And congrats again! Please celebrate accordingly. :)

ok now we're getting somewhere. Do me (and emerald54) a quick favor- when you hit the "enter" link on your Grad App. Status result online at mywisc does it say:

Congratulations! You have been admitted to the Graduate School at UW-Madison! Please keep current with enrollment and important campus information through the links below.

square_anchor.gif For purposes of tuition, you are classified as a Non-Resident for Wisconsin. If you have questions regarding this decision, please contact the residency office.

or does it say something more specific/promising about receiving funding?

Hey, thanks for responding and big congratulations!!!!!! I would imagine, and I've been nominated for a university-wide fellowship elsewhere (but it's not UVA and I really, really want to go to UVA. oh, sorry), that if you don't get the fellowship the department tries to squeeze you in to the extent that they are able. StrangeLight wrote a really good post about this some eight billion pages ago. Basically, they will only nominate their top candidates for the fellowship. So you are in very good shape!! Have a drink on me.

That is reassuring to hear. I'll go back and try and find StrangeLight's post about the situation too.

Thanks for the congrats, and congratulations yourself on the fellowship nomination from another school! Good luck when you do hear back from UVA - I haven't even officially heard about an acceptance yet, so those notices are probably coming sometime soon (I would hope).