Typos...

steveotron

:x

So yeah, I found typos on some of my applications yesterday. I was making some last minute revisions, and I made a minor error on a few on my SoPs. I was using a computer in my house that I don't ever use because my internet connection was not working properly on our network (on the day of deadlines, of course!), and apparently the word processor program on that computer didn't have spellchecker on. I read my SoP's multiple times for each school, but it's hard to notice your own errors, especially on a computer screen instead of a piece of paper. On one application, I accidentally spelled the word ESPECIALLY "epecilly." And on another, instead of "of," I had the word "or" typed in. The close keys are pretty close, I guess. Hah. Am I doomed?

I hid away the folder with all my application materials the moment I was done with submitting everything. Ignorance is bliss! :D Nothing to be done about it in any case.

I did the same thing. For the record, a few small typos won't keep you out. Everyone makes mistakes. And nearly every prof you meet can tell you about the typos in their dissertation, which was read by their entire committee and often their peers. My mom jokes that the first typo of her dissertation is on the third page, which is why she's never re-read it.

I guess it makes me feel a little better knowing I'm not the only person who made mistakes, although I wish we could have all been error-free and not have to ruminate on such things for the next couple of months. I swore I read each of my SoPs 3-4 times before submitting them, and I hope admissions committees don't think I'm a careless person. I was rushing to send one of my applications in the mail, and I then had to rush to school to take a final exam in my ANOVA course. I then had to hurry home after finishing the exam at 8PM and finish 4 separate online applications. What's done is done, I suppose. However, I was wondering how appropriate it might be to ask someone in a graduate program who you've had discussions with to send your corrected version of the SoP? It sounds a little unfair to other applicants, however, so I'm afraid to ask.