Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

What time dou you think Stanford results are coming? I am getting more and more anxious...

Also, is there anyone who applied to the methods subfield at any school?

Or any fellow eastern europeans?

Keep it up!

I don't claim to have insider knowledge, but I saw that Stanford's semester started a week later than the last two years. Also the visit weekend is later than normal. This leads me to believe Stanford will be a week or so later than the last two years on decisions, but of course anything could happen.

What time dou you think Stanford results are coming? I am getting more and more anxious...

Also, is there anyone who applied to the methods subfield at any school?

Or any fellow eastern europeans?

Keep it up!

Didn't apply for methods as a primarily field, but had formal theory and methods as a secondary field for some schools. Are you applying to Rochester?

Edit: Actually, let me address that question more broadly; is anyone else on this forum applying to Rochester?

Edited by RWBG

Hey, guys! Welcome (formally) to the party! I love how things are really heating up now. Whoo!

Yeah, and it must also depend for many departments on what the cohort composition was like in years previous, because of advisor distribution, etc. and having certain numbers of students in courses, or what have you. If they took a bajillion IR kids last year they might only take a few this time around, but I think that is must be true that some programs also just take the "best" 20 candidates...though that itself depends on faculty/program fit, etc. I think this entire application process, and corresponding with all of you lovely fellow applicants ( :D) has taught me that there is no such thing as a sure thing. Context matters.

Haha I think I just subtly outed myself as a Comparativist.

Whirlibird - as a fellow comparativist, I concur :)

Too many kind posts to quote, but thank you for all of the well-wishes. I am glad to see that others have benefitted from my experience, just as my application was helped by reading others' advice last year.

As for my specialty: I'm a comparativist, too.

And yes, welcome to all of the lurkers who are now joining.

I posted this before, but I didn't get any replies so I'll ask again just in case someone who's now active on the forum knows. The results from last year show Columbia notifying several people on January 29, and then a few more on February 18 (then the rest, I suppose mostly waitlists, in late March). Does anyone remember from last year what the deal was with that?

I posted this before, but I didn't get any replies so I'll ask again just in case someone who's now active on the forum knows. The results from last year show Columbia notifying several people on January 29, and then a few more on February 18 (then the rest, I suppose mostly waitlists, in late March). Does anyone remember from last year what the deal was with that?

You might be able to find a more concrete answer by re-reading last year's results thread, but my recollection of those Columbia posts was that the early ones were trolls. Not sure though.

Yes, I think that's actually what tergellian's question is based on. Sorry, T, I can't remember it. I honestly was going to respond with "oh, well it's acceptances first, then rejections," but then I looked and saw the staggered acceptances.

I think it might be a system wherein they try to nab their top acceptances, and if those people come back with "sorry, I'm going to Harvard," then they adjust the number of 2nd-round acceptances. I honestly don't know though.

As a frequent poster from previous cycles, I can confirm that last year we had the unfortunate circumstance of numerous false posts for a number of institutions. Columbia is just one example. Last year's Columbia acceptances were sent out mid February (the18th to be specific).

Congratulations to everyone who received good news from Wisconsin, and best of luck to those of you in waiting!

Thanks to Helix, balderdash, and adaptations. Unfortunate that someone would post false results. I guess I get to count down to February 1st at this point, then... I will adjust my hibernation schedule accordingly.

Wouldn't it be lovely to go to sleep tonight and wake up in early March, with most of the decisions in? One day of hell and then it would all be over rather than this excruciatingly drawn out process...

Wouldn't it be lovely to go to sleep tonight and wake up in early March, with most of the decisions in? One day of hell and then it would all be over rather than this excruciatingly drawn out process...

Amen. Need a time machine. Now.

Last year Stanford sent out the emails on the last Thursday of January. This year, that would be tomorrow. Anybody else going to be a nervous wreck at 8:00 pm EST?

Edited by balderdash

^ Not going to be worried about Stanford. I know I'll get in.

Kidding. Didn't apply. Though I am wondering if I should be nervous when people start posting "interview". I haven't heard from Vandy, but a couple of people are being contacted for interviews. Bad sign?

Only like 3 of the professors have notified and I think they are the IR people. I have an interview tomorrow with Vandy, so I'll know more then.

What subfield are you in, brent?

I am sure you know better than I do but is this not a bit strange? Would they not have made some kind of block decision and then sent out notifications/interview appointments all at the same time?

Might just be a situation where they send possible admits to POIs and let them examine the files. Maybe some like interviewing and others don't. Who knows?

I think last year there were a couple interviews posted, and about 10 days later there were was a wave of admits posted. So we'll see, I suppose.

Edited by brent09

Only like 3 of the professors have notified and I think they are the IR people. I have an interview tomorrow with Vandy, so I'll know more then.

What subfield are you in, brent?

How do you know this? Was it discussed when you received notice for an interview? Seems a bit odd that any POI or committee member would tell an applicant that type of info.