Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Anyone who's been through this rigmarole before have any advice on how best to mentally prepare for rejections?

I think it's important to remind yourself that your value and path through life don't hinge on getting accepted to a PhD program. At this point, having realistic Plan B options can be helpful so that you don't face a situation where you ask yourself "what else is there" if you happen to be rejected across the board. Also, if you face the unfortunate circumstance of being rejected across the board, it doesn't mean you won't be a great academic at a great institution in the future. The first time I applied I didn't receive a single funded PhD offer, and yet I was later accepted to a multitude of top programs. In many ways, I think I was more prepared and mentally ready for the challenge of earning a PhD thanks to being rejected initially and having more time to prepare and to really be confident with my decision to return to graduate school.

I also echo many of Balderdash's suggestions. Prepare yourself for the knowledge that even if you are accepted to some/many great schools, you will probably still be rejected from at least one or more that you would have loved to attend. At the end of the day, you only get to attend one school, so don't stress over the schools that turn you down and instead be grateful for and get excited about the schools that accept you.

Congrats, ohsnap. I take it that it was TAMU?

Yes, but for obvious reasons I am going to refrain from putting up my stats and a list of the other schools to which I have applied.

I hope that all of you receive some good news in the coming weeks (and for your sanity's sake, I hope you receive it sooner rather than later).

Anyone who's been through this rigmarole before have any advice on how best to mentally prepare for rejections?

Did it twice. I maintain: recreational reading, particularly short stories, drama, poetry---stuff that doesn't require a huge time investment. Your attention span is about to get really short. Drink a lot. I'm serious. Go out with your friends and have some fun, as this will likely be the last time you'll get to really get after it for a while. Stuff to turn your brain off and lose track of time: video games, cards, that kind of thing. The weekends will be weird, since you won't have the same day-to-day anxiety from active waiting but you'll have a lingering sense of anxiety in the background. This is much easier with a hangover.

Drink a lot. I'm serious. Go out with your friends and have some fun, as this will likely be the last time you'll get to really get after it for a while... The weekends will be weird, since you won't have the same day-to-day anxiety from active waiting but you'll have a lingering sense of anxiety in the background. This is much easier with a hangover.

Brilliantly accurate observations. The awkwardness of the weekend is akin to that half-beat where you sort-of recognize someone but can't place him or her. You feel out of sorts but believe the solution is right there, just beyond grasp. The problem is that with this it lasts for 64 hours.

Thanks to all who responded to my query. Excellent suggestions - I wish the "get and stay very drunk" option were more available to me at the moment. I have incorporated the mind-numbing activity of watching British crime shows into my time-killing repertoire - it's been working well for me so far, and I would highly recommend Netflix to anyone wishing to while away a few weeks.

Speaking of Netflix and British shows, I have to mention Downton Abbey. The acting and production is so good that even if you are not into dramas (i am not) the show somehow makes you want to watch it.

Got an email from Yale yesterday informing me that the application had been passed to the Department for review. I think my heart stopped for a full half of a second.

I've gotten two emails of that type from Duke in the past week, both saying exactly the same thing, which is somewhat disconcerting and has set off all sorts of "Why did they tell me twice? Have they actually lost my application, or split it into two parts accidentally, or did I somehow apply to the wrong department, or are they simply covering their asses so that when they reject me they can remind me politely that they certainly did review my application?" thoughts. Bastards.

Re: Netflix - my favorite of all time is Wire in the Blood. Serial killers galore!

Edited by tergellian

Got an email from Yale yesterday informing me that the application had been passed to the Department for review. I think my heart stopped for a full half of a second.

Was it this one?

Dear XX,

Thank you for applying to the Yale University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

The purpose of this e-mail is to let you know that your application has been made available to your program for review (whether marked as Complete or Incomplete).

We wish to remind you that you have access to a feature of the online application that allows you to monitor the receipt of your standardized test scores and letters of recommendation. Simply log back into your application...

Edited by tergellian

Ok maybe I'm reading into this too much...

I called the department just to confirm that everything had arrived by the December 1 deadline because I haven't received any confirmation or correspondence from the school. The woman asked for my name and said, "Oh yes, you're applying for comparative politics, right? Subfield Latin America? Yes, we have everything and your application been passed on for review."

Here's the thing... I was never asked about a subfield on the application form, but I discussed Latin America in my research interests in the statement of purpose. So someone has clearly read my application already... what does this mean??

So someone has clearly read my application already... what does this mean??

Absolutely nothing beyond the fact that they've added a note ("sub: LatAm") to the file.

Also, UW-Madison just sent an email about filling out the FAFSA. Isn't the deadline like March 1? I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather not take the time to fill it out until I know I need to...

I thought it was Jan 18?

I don't know, I always thought it was much later... but I can't find anything on the website to back it up. You'd think it'd be mentioned here, but there's nothing on it.

I didn't get the UW Madison email--what gives? When was it sent?

I got it at 3:00 Wisconsin time on Friday. If I remember correctly, I think there was a box to tick at some stage of the application. It's all a bit murky.

Hey, everybody!

I've been lurking for about a week...decided I needed to just get my butt into gear and join the party. Guess this is a pretty exciting and stressful time. As Tom Petty sang, "the waaaiiittinngg is the hardessst part..."

I applied to 9 programs...excited to wait it out and celebrate (and commiserate) with all of you! My major method of dealing with this time is reading phdcomics.com (ha, so good) and I'm currently doing some traveling.

My major method of dealing with this time is reading phdcomics.com (ha, so good) and I'm currently doing some traveling.

I try to work out as much as possible and read non-academic books :) Working 8-5 helps, too.

I try to work out as much as possible and read non-academic books :) Working 8-5 helps, too.

Absolutely. The constant occupation of time (with, you know, other problems) is so crucial. Up until this past week, I've been swamped working, but now it's the semester holiday and all of my students have run away home...so they're not around to distract me with their cries of "Teacher, teacher! When will you tell us our exam grades?"

Gotta say...now's the time to pleasure read. When (note the WHEN!) we're all accepted into grueling graduate programs, we'll be longing for this downtime. So we should try to enjoy it while we've got it!