Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

So re: UW-Madison's email about filling out the FAFSA, the grad coordinator just told me that it's not necessary for departmental funding. She indicated that their grants and such were independent of the form, which makes sense. However, she said, stipends go as low as $11,000/year ( ! ), and that if we want supplemental aid, we should fill out the form and ask the government for it. As for the email, she said it was standard, implying that every student or applicant in the entire Madison system gets it. Finally, when I asked when it was due by, she said, "Oh, you have lots of time to do it." I think that indicates my March-ish hunch is accurate.

So re: UW-Madison's email about filling out the FAFSA, the grad coordinator just told me that it's not necessary for departmental funding. She indicated that their grants and such were independent of the form, which makes sense. However, she said, stipends go as low as $11,000/year ( ! ), and that if we want supplemental aid, we should fill out the form and ask the government for it. As for the email, she said it was standard, implying that every student or applicant in the entire Madison system gets it. Finally, when I asked when it was due by, she said, "Oh, you have lots of time to do it." I think that indicates my March-ish hunch is accurate.

I didn't get this email. Is that a bad sign, or just an oversight?

that trailer is hilariously bad. It's so bad, it's good. I don't think I could sit through more that one minute and fifty two seconds of the actual movie.

I went to a screening that was followed by a Q&A with the director and the main actress (who can't act if her life depended on it). The girl was jetlagged and couldn't stop laughing at everything. The only thing more embarrassing than her presence were the questions that the students asked.

So long as your My UW page works and all, then I imagine it would just be an oversight.

Ugh, this is annoying. It says that my My UW account has already been activated (maybe I activated it a while ago and forgot), but I don't recall my username or password. What a pain.

I check the site 20 times a day for new information but you shouldn't bother checking your email constantly for about another week.

In a week from now, however, it is normal.

Same. Yeah, not bothering to check my email like crazy yet, but can't resist the pull of the cafe!!

Ugh, this is annoying. It says that my My UW account has already been activated (maybe I activated it a while ago and forgot), but I don't recall my username or password. What a pain.

Happened to me too. I called to have it all reset and the helpdesk person spoke to me like I was a moron, but the long and short of it is that your NetID should have been emailed to you, while your username will be the first initial of your first name then your last name (ie, Barack Obama = "bobama") and the password should be the same as you used on the application form.

Happened to me too. I called to have it all reset and the helpdesk person spoke to me like I was a moron, but the long and short of it is that your NetID should have been emailed to you, while your username will be the first initial of your first name then your last name (ie, Barack Obama = "bobama") and the password should be the same as you used on the application form.

Gotcha. Thanks.

On another note, just got accepted at Illinois! I am super excited and very surprised to have heard back so early.

On another note, just got accepted at Illinois! I am super excited and very surprised to have heard back so early.

Congrats. Now you at least know you'll be going somewhere next year (providing the funding was reasonable?).

i received a brief email from a member of the MIT adcom, saying that he has a few questions about my file and wanted to speak to me on the phone. i have no idea what this means and would appreciate any insights that anyone has on this.

i received a brief email from a member of the MIT adcom, saying that he has a few questions about my file and wanted to speak to me on the phone. i have no idea what this means and would appreciate any insights that anyone has on this.

This happened to me when I applied, although it was for a different school. I was just asked some clarifying questions about my application, the Professor gauged my interest in the program, and then the Professor spent a bit of the time selling me on the program (I was later admitted). At the very least, I would assume it means you're under serious consideration.

I was recently reminded of how stressful the application season was last year (when I applied).

Best of luck everyone! Try to relax - it will be over before you know it.

Edited by Tufnel

I was recently reminded of how stressful the application season was last year, which is when I applied.

Best of luck everyone! Try to relax - it will be over before you know it.

Tufnel, good to see a familiar face. How's Harvard?

This happened to me when I applied, although it was for a different school. I was just asked some clarifying questions about my application, the Professor gauged my interest in the program, and then the Professor spent a bit of the time selling me on the program (I was later admitted). At the very least, I would assume it means you're under serious consideration.

Does this mean those of us unfortunate not to have heard anything now can stop looking for apartments in Cambridge? :wacko:

Tufnel, good to see a familiar face. How's Harvard?

It's good. I'm having a great time - the rest of my cohort is great, as are the professors and administrators.

How is your cycle shaping up? Stanford should be soon, right?

If anyone has questions about Harvard or the greater Cambridge area, feel free to PM me. I probably won't respond quickly but will try to check in every few weeks. For any Harvard prospectives, I love it here and have no regrets about my grad school decision.

Edited by Tufnel

Duke sends me these automatic application status updates every week or two, and it makes me jump every time. I wonder if this will cause a "boy who cried wolf" effect, and when the actual decision from Duke arrives I'll ignore it because I'll just think it's one of those updates.