Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

I have a few friends that are also applying that are in IR that have heard. The numbers were sort of a guesstimate.

I should ammend my previous statement: The people I know that have heard are IR people and do not have the same POI as me.

I have a few friends that are also applying that are in IR that have heard. The numbers were sort of a guesstimate.

I should ammend my previous statement: The people I know that have heard are IR people and do not have the same POI as me.

Just curious, as I applied to Vandy as IR and have note heard...err! Oh, well, was one of the POIs Mattes?

Only like 3 of the professors have notified and I think they are the IR people. I have an interview tomorrow with Vandy, so I'll know more then.

Looks like I am out of the running then, I remember I put Giacomo Chiozza as an POI for me.

I'm not completely sold on the idea that no phone interview= rejection. Lot of factors that could lead to a phone interview.

Well I am always the pessimist, plus to be honest I felt in terms of my "fit" with the Vanderbilt faculty was pretty weak when I compare it to the other schools I applied to for admission.

Baylor has sent out some invitations for a campus visit. I know they like meeting their top applicants before choosing whether or not to admit them.

Someone else has also received such an invitation, and I was wondering if you any of you would like to claim it or report that you had also received one. I'm certainly looking forward to meeting some of y'all in person!

Congratulations to everyone who has been receiving good news! It looks like we have many people who were accepted @ Madison. Maybe this will keep your anxiety levels down. I know getting admitted somewhere definitely lowered mine a little bit.

Edited by ohsnap

Congratulations to everyone who has been receiving good news! It looks like we have many people who were accepted @ Madison. Maybe this will keep your anxiety levels down. I know getting admitted somewhere definitely lowered mine a little bit.

Oddly enough, getting accepted has had the opposite effect for me. I had resigned myself to reapplying next year; now that I know I'm going to Ph.D program next year, any rejection effectively ensures that I won't attend that program at any point in the future. That being said, it's a good kind of anxiety, given that all possible outcomes (including being rejected everywhere else) are fantastic.

Baylor has sent out some invitations for a campus visit. I know they like meeting their top applicants before choosing whether or not to admit them.

Someone else has also received such an invitation, and I was wondering if you any of you would like to claim it or report that you had also received one. I'm certainly looking forward to meeting some of y'all in person!

This is all super exciting! No movement anywhere that I applied yet, but I'm just pumped that things are heating up. Congrats, everybody! Well done!

Oddly enough, getting accepted has had the opposite effect for me. I had resigned myself to reapplying next year; now that I know I'm going to Ph.D program next year, any rejection effectively ensures that I won't attend that program at any point in the future. That being said, it's a good kind of anxiety, given that all possible outcomes (including being rejected everywhere else) are fantastic.

Notice, I said lowered a little bit lol. I still have 8 schools that can tell me that they have other applicants that they prefer or that they want me.

Edited by ohsnap

Oddly enough, getting accepted has had the opposite effect for me.

It's nice to be "sitting pretty" by getting into a top-tier program, to be sure, but I find myself analyzing my apps more now that I got in. Now I'm trying to assess the probability of getting in other places based on the Madison result. Obviously the events are totally independent, so the musing is pointless, but I can't quite help myself! Neeeeed more results.

While my acceptances have not been at what many would necessarily characterize as 'top-tier programs,' I find myself doing exactly what brent09 does. That is, I now try to analyze every possible outcome. Fortunately, I would be pleased to attend either school that has admitted me, so I am not overly anxious - but I sure would like to hear back from the other schools to which I applied!

Congrats to everyone who heard good news today!

Whirlibir

This is all super exciting! No movement anywhere that I applied yet, but I'm just pumped that things are heating up. Congrats, everybody! Well done!

I'm in the same boat - I think the soonest I would hear would be the 31st (UCLA), and then of course all hell breaks loose as soon as February arrives. I'm really tempted to just deactivate my phone and cancel my wifi for the next month - I'm in the process of changing jobs at the moment and am playing the waiting game with some things in my personal life as well, so overall I'm going a bit crazy. Just a bit, of course... Although I may be ready for the padded room if I get 15 rejection letters in the space of a month.

Trying to stay occupied and remember that in the worst possible situation I'll just apply again next year with a different set of schools, but it's quite a challenge. I guess I'm exercising my psychological core? I'm sure some cliche about failure being an opportunity for growth would fit in well at this point in my little rant. Pity I can't remember any of them. The background chatter in my head has turned into a dull roar - all I can hear is "DON'T PANIC" in big red, friendly letters, for anyone who gets the reference :)

Whirlibir

I'm in the same boat - I think the soonest I would hear would be the 31st (UCLA), and then of course all hell breaks loose as soon as February arrives. I'm really tempted to just deactivate my phone and cancel my wifi for the next month - I'm in the process of changing jobs at the moment and am playing the waiting game with some things in my personal life as well, so overall I'm going a bit crazy. Just a bit, of course... Although I may be ready for the padded room if I get 15 rejection letters in the space of a month.

Trying to stay occupied and remember that in the worst possible situation I'll just apply again next year with a different set of schools, but it's quite a challenge. I guess I'm exercising my psychological core? I'm sure some cliche about failure being an opportunity for growth would fit in well at this point in my little rant. Pity I can't remember any of them. The background chatter in my head has turned into a dull roar - all I can hear is "DON'T PANIC" in big red, friendly letters, for anyone who gets the reference :)

Im in the same boat as well. Except I'm in my final year of undergrad, so I have classes and thesis stuff to finish! But I'm banking on the Fulbright (got recommended to research in China by IIE last week), and maybe a job offer for a backup plan. So i'm trying to keep myself busy.

I appreciate the hitchhiker's guide reference BTW!

Serenity now tergellian, serenity now.

That said, I have an audiobook version of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. A nice way of letting go of stress I think, since it requires little concentration on your part.

ps. your signature is also not exactly a mood lifter

Serenity now tergellian, serenity now.

That said, I have an audiobook version of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. A nice way of letting go of stress I think, since it requires little concentration on your part.

ps. your signature is also not exactly a mood lifter

Hmm. You may have a point about the signature. Will adjust.

Edit: Speaking of signatures, what does 7.5 applications mean? You've piqued my interest.

Edited by tergellian

While my acceptances have not been at what many would necessarily characterize as 'top-tier programs,' I find myself doing exactly what brent09 does. That is, I now try to analyze every possible outcome. Fortunately, I would be pleased to attend either school that has admitted me, so I am not overly anxious - but I sure would like to hear back from the other schools to which I applied!

Congrats to everyone who heard good news today!

Care to share where you got in? I applied to a wide spectrum of schools. I think my rankings run 15ish-70!

Last year Stanford sent out the emails on the last Thursday of January. This year, that would be tomorrow. Anybody else going to be a nervous wreck at 8:00 pm EST?

I take it Stanford didn't send decisions today? This lowers my optimism that Duke will send stuff out tomorrow (last Friday in Jan) per last year. Le sigh.

Obviously the events are totally independent, so the musing is pointless, but I can't quite help myself! Neeeeed more results.

I don't think this is precisely true. To quote myself in a post from a year ago:

...I think the better way to think of it is in terms of conditional independence; your probability of being accepted by different universities is independent conditional on a third random variable, namely the quality of you as an applicant/your application. or Pr(H∩P|G)=Pr(H|G)Pr(P|G), where H represents chances of getting into Harvard, P represents chances of getting into princeton, and G represents the quality of your application.

The main implication this has is that during the process, once you have acceptances/rejections, you should update your probability of admission accordingly based on new information about G. You can't consider the events independent, given imperfect information about G. For example, if I'm rejected by Rochester, the probability of being accepted by HYP is reduced substantially, because new information changes my G-distribution. If you were close to certain that your G was at a certain level, you could probably treat the events as independent, and calculate probabilities the way you've been doing (i.e. 1-p^n). As it is, even ex ante, I think you probably have to consider your G-distribution when considering the number of schools you want to apply to, and how many in each tier you want to apply to. For example, if I thought my G distribution included a 1/5 chance of being an excellent applicant, 3/5 chance of being a mid-tier applicant, and a 1/5 chance of being a low tier applicant, and if I thought that being an excellent applicant meant I would have a 100% chance of being accepted to any given university I applied to (assuming for the sake of argument, all universities were of the same tier), being a mid-tier applicant meant I had a 20% chance of being accepted, and being a low-tier applicant meant that I would have a 0% chance of being accepted, then your probability can't be figured out from 1-0.8^n, but has to be (1/5) + (3/5)(1-0.8^n) + 0. This would have implications on the appropriate structure/number of your applications, dependent on your utility/cost function.

I take it Stanford didn't send decisions today? This lowers my optimism that Duke will send stuff out tomorrow (last Friday in Jan) per last year. Le sigh.

Duke sent out a lot of rejections today to applicants in other departments. Not a happy day...