Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Does anyone know how long does it typically take a school to send their follow-up financial aid letter? (I got into Duke on Jan. 31).

Also, how to evaluate whether an offer is competitive or not?

I'm in the same boat with you (waiting for the funding correspondence from Duke). If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that the reason we haven't received anything further yet is probably the same reason why Duke hasn't sent out all of its acceptances/waitlists. The funding letter (and hopefully information about accepted students weekend, etc.) is supposed to come from the department itself, whereas decisions thus far have been officially from the grad school. The department may still be making decisions--I'm almost certain that they are--and I can see them waiting to send the funding notices until they have their lineup of first choices settled. I'm also pretty sure that Duke fully funds all of its PhD students...anyone want to correct me there?

As for competitive offers, obviously you should look for a tuition waver, but that should be paired with a stipend that will allow you to live comfortably (everything you need, plus maybe a little wiggle room for things you want--any other opinions on this?) in the area. Calculate cost of living. $20,000 will be a much different sum in Palo Alto, CA than in Durham, NC, and you should evaluate offers accordingly. Consider what you'll spend for transportation to and from school a few times a year if you plan on going home for holidays. And are you being offered any money for summers? Travel? Research? Is this money coming to you in fellowship form or assistantship form? If your money is dependent upon you TAing, realize that it's going to cut into the time you can spend on your work, which could affect your time to degree. However, if it's all fellowship, are there opportunities for you to teach if you want to? Because the job market being brutal like it is, you're going to need teaching experience to be competitive outside of R1 schools.

There's also implicit department money when it comes to traveling to conferences, etc. that, while not part of your official funding, will affect whether or not part of your stipend goes toward you doing the things you need to do to get ahead in the market.

Would definitely love to hear everyone else's thoughts on this, though. It's an important question.

Looooong time lurker (3rd cycle, actually), first time poster. Just have to say, I can't wait for this process to be over. Got a fully-funded offer last year, looking to try to move up in the rankings a bit and get somewhere with better fit. 0/2 so far, waiting on 8 more (including Duke, which is killing me!) Congrats to those who have heard good news, though. And if all else fails, at least I still have a home dept!

I've been lurking a long time too (with a little posting in the 2010 cycle). Currently in an MA after not getting in during my last round of PhD apps. I'm still waiting on all my schools and am incredibly nervous, but hoping there will be some news this week. I applied to UNC, GW, NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Yale, Princeton and Stanford. I'm now kind of wishing I had applied to more. Just wanted to stop lurking around and say hi.

I'll be applying next year, but I thought I'd just pop in to wish you all luck :)

Hey, thanks! You can enjoy our shenanigans until then, and hopefully you'll have a large dose of perspective and some levity about the whole process when it comes your turn!

Looooong time lurker (3rd cycle, actually), first time poster. Just have to say, I can't wait for this process to be over. Got a fully-funded offer last year, looking to try to move up in the rankings a bit and get somewhere with better fit. 0/2 so far, waiting on 8 more (including Duke, which is killing me!) Congrats to those who have heard good news, though. And if all else fails, at least I still have a home dept!

I've been lurking a long time too (with a little posting in the 2010 cycle). Currently in an MA after not getting in during my last round of PhD apps. I'm still waiting on all my schools and am incredibly nervous, but hoping there will be some news this week. I applied to UNC, GW, NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Yale, Princeton and Stanford. I'm now kind of wishing I had applied to more. Just wanted to stop lurking around and say hi.

All lurkers welcome. I was once a lurker, too. No less ridiculous back then...nowadays I'm simply ridiculous where people can see and judge me. :D Welcome to the party, guys!

Hey, thanks! You can enjoy our shenanigans until then, and hopefully you'll have a large dose of perspective and some levity about the whole process when it comes your turn!

Thanks. I was on track to apply this year, but decided to wait after reading last year's thread.. thinking it was the right decision to wait until I finish my degree before I apply.

Good luck again..

Thanks. I was on track to apply this year, but decided to wait after reading last year's thread.. thinking it was the right decision to wait until I finish my degree before I apply.

Good luck again..

I think you made the correct decision. I did the same thing. I finished my MA in May 2011 and decided to take the summer to complete applications rather than finishing a thesis and applications at the same time. Its already a stressful process, best to have additional time and mental space to devote solely to applications. Good luck next cycle. I would suggest paying attention to the SOP threads. I found those most helpful and from all accounts, (depending on where you are applying) a solid SOP is what is going to separate you from the pack at the most competitive schools and will bump you into consideration if you have any red flags in your application (ie; some low grades or lower GRE). I also think having an MA will be helpful, it is impossible to really say "I have a strong SOP" but I think at least having a thesis under your belt (plus all the additional questions that inevitably arise when doing research) you will have a very focused research interest section in the SOP. Good luck in the future!

I just got a rejection letter from Duke, also. Technically, it is the first admission decision I received, but I consider the invitation to an interview I got from Indiana (Telecommunications, not PoliSci) as a kind of decision, so it ain't all bad.

@kolja00 I'm IR and security, although my subfield is kind of subjective. I work on the intersection of security issues and media in the Middle East, so my subfield is really at the discretion of the department.

Ah ok, I'm the same. Maybe the IR decisions have yet to be made?