Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

YEEEHAAAW!!!! Got into my top choice - heard via informal avenues. Not sure when most notifications go out, but I'll see some of you in Palo Alto :)! (really not trolling here - informal phone call of congrats, please don't read into the timing. I heard more information is coming next week, so maybe that's when the official ones go out?)

Thank you for being such a supportive community GC. For those who don't get in this go around - I have 12 rejection letters from a couple years ago. You can do it!

My highest congratulations to you! I'd love to be out there as well, but I fear for the worst. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Hey guys and gals! I got an interview request from the University of Washington--Seattle (prolly my top choice, although UPENN would be amazing as well). I'm super excited/happy, but also kind of terrified. Any advice from those who have done an interview already? I want to prepare but I don't really know how. Are there questions I should be asking/have in mind?

Gar. I wanted to work with Bonnie Honig and Lars Tonder... I'm not resigning myself to being rejected quite yet... but if Northwestern's already contacted their potential political theorists already... sigh.

what kind of theory do you represent?

Gar. I wanted to work with Bonnie Honig and Lars Tonder... I'm not resigning myself to being rejected quite yet... but if Northwestern's already contacted their potential political theorists already... sigh.

I am certainly no expert in these things, but I think that it is too early to worry about NU. Yes, a couple of acceptances have been posted, but this does not mean that they are necessarily done admitting either students, in general, or theorists, in particular. Since so many schools seem to be accepting people in waves, I am assuming that NU will do the same this year. I could be wrong, in the end, but I think it best that we all keep are chins up for now. There will be plenty of time for despair later. :)

I am certainly no expert in these things, but I think that it is too early to worry about NU. Yes, a couple of acceptances have been posted, but this does not mean that they are necessarily done admitting either students, in general, or theorists, in particular. Since so many schools seem to be accepting people in waves, I am assuming that NU will do the same this year. I could be wrong, in the end, but I think it best that we all keep are chins up for now. There will be plenty of time for despair later. :)

Cheers,

That's a good point, no despairing till all the rejections and hopefully acceptances pile up!

Good lucks to peeps!

I'm really not getting my hopes up about Berkeley; it was my "why not, you'll never know if you don't apply" school. My terror is currently reserved for Chapel Hill. I actually spent half an hour tonight dredging through UNC's admissions statistics over the last five cycles... I can post my findings, if anyone's interested.

I'm really not getting my hopes up about Berkeley; it was my "why not, you'll never know if you don't apply" school. My terror is currently reserved for Chapel Hill. I actually spent half an hour tonight dredging through UNC's admissions statistics over the last five cycles... I can post my findings, if anyone's interested.

Please do. I'm waiting oh-so-anxiously.

This is for the political science program only. The raw data is here.

Year - Applied - Accepted (%) - Enrolled (%applied, %accepted) - mean accepted GRE - mean accepted GPA

2010 - 293 - 60 (20%) - 14 (4.7%, 23%) - 619V 690Q - unknown

2009 - 268 - 44 (16%) - 24 (9%, 54%) - 587V 641Q - 3.538

2008 - 249 - 73 (29%) - 35 (14%, 48%) - 616V 664Q - 3.560

2007 - 190 - 60 (31%) - 29 (15%, 48%) - 609V 674Q - 3.511

2006 - 220 - 65 (29%) - 35 (16%, 53%) - 616V 645Q - 3.666

5yr mean - 244 - 60.4 (25%) - 27.4 (11%, 45%) - 609V 663Q - 3.568

It's not as harrowing as I'd imagined, but I know that's not much comfort when you're waiting for that email...

Edited by expfcwintergreen

Year - Applied - Accepted (%) - Enrolled (%applied, %accepted) - mean accepted GRE - mean accepted GPA

It's not as harrowing as I'd imagined, but I know that's not much comfort when you're waiting for that email...

Many many thanks.

This process is torturous.

Edited by Carousel

Interesting, I hadn't seen this data! Thanks for sharing.

Of course, there's really no telling exactly how helpful those GRE and GPA statistics are, because I don't know how important stats are to UNC's admissions process relative to fit, SOP, rec letters, etc. etc. Two things, though:

1. In at least one of the years I looked at (2007, I think?) the mean GPA for admits was actually somewhat lower than the mean GPA for rejects.

2. I spoke to one of my POIs there earlier in the application process, and the feeling I got from her was that, to the extent that their process is stats-based, GRE is the most important number they look at.

Anyway, good luck to all who've applied. Here's to hoping we get some good news this week.

Huh. My husband got one of those, too. Good luck! Maybe you'll hear good news soon (like tomorrow!). *fingers crossed*

I'm not sure it means much, but I can't imagine them going through the trouble of emailing people that they are not seriously considering. Good luck to your husband! :D

YEEEHAAAW!!!! Got into my top choice - heard via informal avenues. Not sure when most notifications go out, but I'll see some of you in Palo Alto :)! (really not trolling here - informal phone call of congrats, please don't read into the timing. I heard more information is coming next week, so maybe that's when the official ones go out?)

Thank you for being such a supportive community GC. For those who don't get in this go around - I have 12 rejection letters from a couple years ago. You can do it!

Hey, well in, anxiousmike! You don't gotta be anxious no mo'! Serious congratulations, that's incredibly legit. And way to persevere; you're a model for all of us. :)

Hey, well in, anxiousmike! You don't gotta be anxious no mo'! Serious congratulations, that's incredibly legit. And way to persevere; you're a model for all of us. :)

Thanks whirlibird. I'm still having trouble fully grasping what just happened. My anxiety is no more! Research, persevere, write, develop good relationships for letters, study for the gre, and you can do it!

Thanks whirlibird. I'm still having trouble fully grasping what just happened. My anxiety is no more! Research, persevere, write, develop good relationships for letters, study for the gre, and you can do it!

Congrats man! Hopefully I'll be joining you in Palo Alto. I can't imagine how amazing you must feel tonight!

Congrats to all those who are getting in! I hope I will be hearing soon. I know that not hearing anything at this stage isn't necessarily bad--but it is certainly enough to drive me mad!

(...may have to go join the sufferers in the Waiting it out forum)

@christe: sincere congrats on your acceptance. I was the one who called you the "annoying person" (which I took back shortly after if you noticed, so please no hard feelings) thinking that it was a fake post on the day of the application deadline. Schools' tendency of informing us about our results sporadically makes me (and I'm sure many others) seriously jumpy :( good luck to all this week.

No worries, I didn't take offense. I'm annoyed to see postings for schools I haven't heard back from either...Good luck to you!