Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

According to a response from an email to Berkeley mentioned a few pages back, the end of February. ughhhhh

Ughhhh indeed... I feel like I might be fossilized by then. Tragically, the acceptances that I have already don't seem to assuage my need to agonize over my top choices.

Ughhhh indeed... I feel like I might be fossilized by then. Tragically, the acceptances that I have already don't seem to assuage my need to agonize over my top choices.

I'm just as obsessive over checking my email and stuff even after getting into some awesome programs, just less nervous.

I'm just as obsessive over checking my email and stuff even after getting into some awesome programs, just less nervous.

I am in the same boat. I am very happy with where I have been accepted, but I want to hear from everywhere. Not as stressed, but still just as curious!

Just talked to the admissions director at Berkeley to check on one of my letters (the fourth) - she said it hadn't come in, but that "none of the comments on my file so far mention it, or anything else they would want to see." I have no idea whether this means I've already been tossed and therefore it's completely irrelevant or that I am in the running and my three letters are good enough...

Sorry to be bitching after getting admitted to places, I don't mean to be inconsiderate!

Oh man. I just got an email from UNC and my heart skipped a beat, but it was COMPLETELY unrelated. *sigh* I think this process is eroding my sanity.

Does anybody know whats happening with UNC? They are late compared to last year right?

Does anybody know whats happening with UNC? They are late compared to last year right?

I bet the outcome of tonight's basketball game (v. Duke) will determine if lots of people get in tomorrow...or if everyone's rejected. :P

I called the graduate coordinator this morning out of curiosity, and they said the adcom is meeting tomorrow and/or Friday.

(Edit: by "curiosity" I of course mean "crippling anxiety")

Edited by expfcwintergreen

On a slightly different note... anyone have information about the kinds of funding UW-M tends to offer? I've gone trolling through old threads and it seems that (at least as late as 2009), Madison was offering $10-11k stipends to grad students. With the big labor and spending battles in Madison over the past couple of years, I'm a bit concerned that UW-M might just be on the low end of stipends. Anyone operating on better information than I?

On a slightly different note... anyone have information about the kinds of funding UW-M tends to offer? I've gone trolling through old threads and it seems that (at least as late as 2009), Madison was offering $10-11k stipends to grad students. With the big labor and spending battles in Madison over the past couple of years, I'm a bit concerned that UW-M might just be on the low end of stipends. Anyone operating on better information than I?

As I understand it, their stipends come from the salary given to project assistants, which also include a tuition waiver. You can probably find that info online.

As I understand it, their stipends come from the salary given to project assistants, which also include a tuition waiver. You can probably find that info online.

Last year, the UW stipends were around 11k plus change for TAs and 13.3k for RAs, so you were expected to TA or RA right off the bat unless you got FLAS money (15k) or were awarded a first year fellowship.

Last year, the UW stipends were around 11k plus change for TAs and 13.3k for RAs, so you were expected to TA or RA right off the bat unless you got FLAS money (15k) or were awarded a first year fellowship.

Thats seems low. I got funding at my MA and received about 12K + tuition for my TA and that was at a low-tier state school. 11K would be nearly impossible to live on.

Thats seems low. I got funding at my MA and received about 12K + tuition for my TA and that was at a low-tier state school. 11K would be nearly impossible to live on.

It does seem low, but if funding is tight...

And even in Madison, 11k would be tough to stretch. We'll know by next week (according to an e-mail), so I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's substantially higher than 11-14k.

I wouldn't assume that at all. Every notification I got this year seems to be at a different time/day than other people have received them. Stay strong amigo, those stats are good!

Edited for spelling errors.

Definitely agreed here, the results seem to trickle out here. Also, since my states are similar (lower UG, higher MA and a publication or two), I really hope we have good news ahead of us! At worst, optimism helps with this feeling of sheer terror! Stay strong, we can do this!

It does seem low, but if funding is tight...

And even in Madison, 11k would be tough to stretch. We'll know by next week (according to an e-mail), so I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's substantially higher than 11-14k.

Just strange given the quality of applicants UM is attracting. They'll need to step up the $ if they are going to get students to matriculate who also have offers at other schools with better funding. 11K is a joke. For anyone who has not TAed, 11K will probably qualify you for the SNAP/EBT programs. Also, its taxed!

Hand shakes and bum slaps all around Northwestern hopefuls! We live to fight another day!

If you call that a living. I feel like all hope and life energy in my body have been drained. I don't even feel anxious anymore. I just want this process to be over.

I got my acceptance from UNC over a week ago. I assume they must be notifying people as they decide.

Were you the one acceptance on the board? How were you notified?

Congrats by the way! That's exciting!

Edited by Megan