Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Has anyone else started to consider fields other than academia after reading the comments threads on poliscijobrumors.com? Those people are f*ing vicious. Almost as bad as investment bankers in terms of plain rudeness (of course only from the safety of the internet).

Has anyone else started to consider fields other than academia after reading the comments threads on poliscijobrumors.com? Those people are f*ing vicious. Almost as bad as investment bankers in terms of plain rudeness (of course only from the safety of the internet).

Haha yeah a bunch of trolling grad students it is kinda funny.

Also, just found this - ranking of global poli sci institutions based on "impact" of research, essentially.

http://www.political...pdf/psr/hix.pdf

Edit: Thank you! I'm excited to check it out, I think it's a great fit with my interests.

Congrats on UCSD! As far as the Hix ranking; it has some serious methodological flaws, and pretty much no-one takes it seriously. Some of the relative rankings it produces are just nuts; the USNews and NRC rankings are considered more reliable.

Congrats on UCSD! As far as the Hix ranking; it has some serious methodological flaws, and pretty much no-one takes it seriously. Some of the relative rankings it produces are just nuts; the USNews and NRC rankings are considered more reliable.

Thanks! Yeah, it was kind of weird. I read through the methodology and wasn't too impressed, I just thought I'd post it as I've put a few others up here.

I claim the UCSD posting. I just got an email from the head of graduate studies - no update on the website and no info on funding yet. Yay for San Diego weather, at least for the visiting weekend!

Congratulations! That's very exciting!

Thanks! Yeah, it was kind of weird. I read through the methodology and wasn't too impressed, I just thought I'd post it as I've put a few others up here.

Well, if you want more...

Edited by RWBG

Also, just found this - ranking of global poli sci institutions based on "impact" of research, essentially.

http://www.political...pdf/psr/hix.pdf

Edit: Thank you! I'm excited to check it out, I think it's a great fit with my interests.

Aberdeen University - 82nd. Higher than Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews in Scotland and places like Toronto? Oh how I wish that was true in the real world!

Edited by Rlemkin

Whoever the Maryland acceptance is, could you PM me? I have a quick question. And congratulations!

Also Rlemkin: Is your display name a reference to Raphael Lempkin, the father of the term genocide and the Genocide Convention? Just curious.

Whoever the Maryland acceptance is, could you PM me? I have a quick question. And congratulations!

Also Rlemkin: Is your display name a reference to Raphael Lempkin, the father of the term genocide and the Genocide Convention? Just curious.

Yes, it is. I feel a little bad for using his name as a pseudonym. I am pleasantly surprised to find that many people know of him though!

UNC has sent out all of the offers they will make. If you haven't heard, you're either waitlisted or rejected.

Is that insider info you're peddling? :) Didn't someone say they called the department yesterday and the adcomm was meeting tomorrow? Maybe that was another school and I'm remembering incorrectly...you know how my brain is going in my old age...

Edit: Ah, looks like they were meeting today and/or Friday. Gotcha. Well, looks like stormy news for me there.

Edited by whirlibird

UNC has sent out all of the offers they will make. If you haven't heard, you're either waitlisted or rejected.

I've been lurking around the forum for a while - I didn't actually plan on ever posting anything, but I guess a series of rejections (or at least, assumed rejections) will wreck even the best-laid plans. Anyways, I'm curious how you heard this. It's very plausible, so it's not that I don't believe you (I do), my question is more aimed at killing off my hopeful skepticism than anything else :)

Okay I don't know who the other ones were, but I can claim a Stanford acceptance.

Actually in shock right now.

Fantastic! Congrats, and thanks for letting us know. I suspect you'll be able to let us know when Yale starts contacting people as well!