Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

I also haven't heard from any of the schools I applied but OSU. Quite hungry for good news. Heck, any news! On second thought not bad news. I am sending waves of positive energy to the universe.

Some good news: I was accepted into a well known Chinese research methods program in Harbin China (CET academic programs) for the months of June through July in Harbin (PRC). It isn't a graduate school acceptance, but lifts my spirits. It's designed around mandarin training for your future dissertation research.

I rechecked the grad cafe survey this morning and assume the schools that I haven't heard back from all rejected me.

Interesting that UCLA applicants went through several rounds of admit-waitlist-reject-admit off wait list and they didn't even care to sent me a rejection letter.

Not trying to be too passive aggressive here but I think I should start consider re-applying for the next cycle. Any suggestions? Experience?

Some good news: I was accepted into a well known Chinese research methods program in Harbin China (CET academic programs) for the months of June through July in Harbin (PRC). It isn't a graduate school acceptance, but lifts my spirits. It's designed around mandarin training for your future dissertation research.

I have never been there myself (I lived in Beijing and Shanghai), but Harbin is definitely a nice place~

Edited by dec4rhapsody

Since this is tangentially relevant:

Am I the only one not buying into "Linsanity"? Kid's been good for about 5 games, so let's calm down about the HOF talk. Also, I was on an intramural team in college. Of the 13 of us, the other 12 were all Chinese. (And we won our league.) Why is it surprising that an Asian-American can play basketball?

Edited by balderdash

Am I the only one not buying into "Linsanity"? Kid's been good for about 5 games, so let's calm down about the HOF talk. Also, I was on an intramural team in college. Of the 13 of us, the other 12 were all Chinese. (And we won our league.) Why is it surprising that an Asian-American can play basketball?

I can only speak to the NBA/Taiwanese/Chinese interest into it (I used to intern for NFL China in 2010 when they sponsored a few Chinese college flag football teams). It's a big marketing deal. Half of the soda/sports drink/footwear ads in china and Taiwan have either Kobe, Llamar, or Shaq on them. A bad day in Chinese NBA marketing is a fantastic day in the US, so i'm sure they're paying somebody to put as much coverage on it as possible.

In regards to if he can play ball, well that's probably up for conjecture on prejudices of stereotypes of race, team makeup, etc. But I will say being 6'7'' and an active basketball player, yes even in China, that Chinese people these days can DEFINITELY play on the court.

Congratulations on that, blackcoffee64. It seems that it would be quite a good experience. :)

Frankly, I have little interest in the Asian-American aspect of the story. As a long-time basketball fan, I find it much more interesting that Lin went undrafted, but has still proven that he can be a decent guard in the league. While any talk about star status, or future accomplishments, is still premature, it is fascinating that someone who so many times passed on has done so well. (At the worst, Lin should be able to carve out a niche as a second- or third-string guard, who energizes the reserves with his tenacity and love for the game.) There are few modern examples of this. Flip Murray put together a nice stretch of games for Seattle a few years back, but his run did not last this long. In addition, his performances were, if memory serves, rather one dimensional. He could shoot, but do little more than that. Lin, on the other hand, has strong passing skills - along with an rather good understanding of the game. To me, perhaps the most fascinating part of this whole story is that Daryl Morey, GM of the Rockets, cut Lin. While Morey might make mistakes as a GM, he is among the best talent evaluators in the league.

I do agree that Lin must play many more games before we can render a definitive verdict as to his talent. That said, I would take him over Melo now. Of course, my judgment on that point might be biased - I am a Denverite.

I just received an email acceptance to UMass from the Chair of the AdComm. I hope you hear good news soon!

Congrats on Umass! Whats your sub? POIs ect... if you dont mind sharing. I'm in the same boat as others who has not had any change to their online application, not rejected or accepted!

As much as the Linsanity stories draws my attention, I think they should inspire the graduate schools. Stanford rejected Lin, while Harvard offered him admission. So admission committees, don't overlook us, since we may well be Lin~

There was a nice spot on Lin on the NewsHour the other night. You know its a major sports story if the NewsHour is on it. he had a great game last night. He is proving that even with new defensive strategies (ie, someone actually playing defense on him) his ability to distribute the basketball is quite good. Doesnt hurt to have Armarie back in the lineup. As a Celtics fa, im looking forward to the March 4th Rondo/Lin matchup!

There was a nice spot on Lin on the NewsHour the other night. You know its a major sports story if the NewsHour is on it. he had a great game last night. He is proving that even with new defensive strategies (ie, someone actually playing defense on him) his ability to distribute the basketball is quite good. Doesnt hurt to have Armarie back in the lineup. As a Celtics fa, im looking forward to the March 4th Rondo/Lin matchup!

Im looking forward to when the Knicks play Chicago. Rose vs Lin. Will be awesome.