Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

I do not know what we can really divine from the survey results posted thus far. It does seem as if many schools have adopted an incremental approach to releasing decisions this year. Perhaps the schools to which you applied have simply not yet notified all applicants. Perhaps no news is good news. Until a rejection note arrives, I would not assume the worst.

For my part, I will send positive thoughts your way, and hope that you receive notices of acceptance soon.

Yup! No news is good news especially if rejections are already out!

Thank you so much for the pick up.

I am also thinking about plan B but there are definitely not enough (paid) opportunities for PoliSci international students.

Also, last year's waitlist email came at 4:45 pm EST on the third Friday in February. So, yeah, I'm going to be a nervous wreck by 4:30.

I am also going to be bouncing off the walls with nervous energy. I can feel the positive energy in this room! Let's go get some good news, everyone!!

I've noticed many lurkers here recently (as I type this, there are 7 members and 19 guests reading the thread). I encourage everyone to emerge from the shadows. It won't make you any more neurotic about this process than you already are, and it may even help. The success of the board depends on the flow of information. We are far more likely to accept info in the Results Survey when someone claims it in the forum.

Fair enough.

I've noticed many lurkers here recently (as I type this, there are 7 members and 19 guests reading the thread). I encourage everyone to emerge from the shadows. It won't make you any more neurotic about this process than you already are, and it may even help.

The success of the board depends on the flow of information. We are far more likely to accept info in the Results Survey when someone claims it in the forum.

You caught me. Just want to add my best wishes for everyone, I know this is a stressful time! Looking forward to hearing back from Princeton today (fingers crossed)

Edit: Perhaps some don't want to claim admits etc in a semi public place. I know it seems paranoid, but nothing is stopping POI's, adcom memebers etc from reading this. Just a thought....

Edited by Jwnich1

I think the trend of very little happening will continue tomorrow. Next week (hopefully) will be lots of good news for everyone :D

As much as I hope this isn't the case, I think that you're right. If only ND would just go ahead and reject me! It will suck, but then I can move on.

I've noticed many lurkers here recently (as I type this, there are 7 members and 19 guests reading the thread). I encourage everyone to emerge from the shadows. It won't make you any more neurotic about this process than you already are, and it may even help.

The success of the board depends on the flow of information. We are far more likely to accept info in the Results Survey when someone claims it in the forum.

I know that at least for me personally, I have been a consistent lurker because I havn't had much of anything to report, and to be honest I'm starting to second guess my viability in this entire application process, since I haven't gotten any super secret Skype interview calls I've seen in some of the Results Survey postings XD

So far I have one rejection to my name, but not a peep from the other schools I applied to, outside of a few automated "We'll let you know if we need anything" emails from some schools after applications closed.

Perhaps some don't want to claim admits etc in a semi public place. I know it seems paranoid, but nothing is stopping POI's, adcom memebers etc from reading this. Just a thought....

Yes. Someone threatened to call University of Michigan over someone they didnt like on the board (regulars know who I mean...)

I'm in though at a public school east of the Mississippi :)

Yes. Someone threatened to call University of Michigan over someone they didnt like on the board (regulars know who I mean...)

I'm in though at a public school east of the Mississippi :)

Congrats! ~ if we're thinking the same incident, I know what you mean. I look forward to discussing the cycle and starting a new chapter of my life in the fall, but until I have signed on the dotted line and paid my deposit, I am weary of putting too much information online.

I know that at least for me personally, I have been a consistent lurker because I havn't had much of anything to report, and to be honest I'm starting to second guess my viability in this entire application process, since I haven't gotten any super secret Skype interview calls I've seen in some of the Results Survey postings XD

So far I have one rejection to my name, but not a peep from the other schools I applied to, outside of a few automated "We'll let you know if we need anything" emails from some schools after applications closed.

Meant to put this together with my above post, but not enough coffee yet today.

Keep your head up Snow Fox!, I got good news from a school I thought was done sending acceptances (from looking at the survey), I hadn't gotten an interview request from (as some reported) etc. This season seems to be abnormal in that acceptances aren't flowing out all at once, or even at roughly the same time. To quote a cliche: it aint over till its over...

i'm up to defcon2 over this continued lack of news from columbia. i get panicked every time i get a new email or my phone rings from an unknown number. if this continues, i might be at defcon1 by Tuesday. though hopefully 4 days of unplugging from the internet and trying to find snow to ski on will help me unwind

i'm up to defcon2 over this continued lack of news from columbia. i get panicked every time i get a new email or my phone rings from an unknown number. if this continues, i might be at defcon1 by Tuesday. though hopefully 4 days of unplugging from the internet and trying to find snow to ski on will help me unwind

I'm in the same boat. I just want to hear something from them!

I'm going to claim a Cornell (theory) offer. But is this true about Yale? I didn't see *any* theory admits on the results board....

I can't imagine Yale is done, although I'm at a loss about how their process is working this year, so who knows. I thought UNC was done, but somebody seems to have been admitted yesterday. Basically, I have given up trying to understand and proceeded to just panic illogically.

I can't imagine Yale is done, although I'm at a loss about how their process is working this year, so who knows. I thought UNC was done, but somebody seems to have been admitted yesterday. Basically, I have given up trying to understand and proceeded to just panic illogically.

Same here. Essentially every school is puzzling me/causing a huge freakout.

Same here. Essentially every school is puzzling me/causing a huge freakout.

It seems like schools are adopting a rolling admissions approach, which is common for professional programs. It's actually a more rational strategy than admitting everyone at once. By taking your strongest applicants immediately, you increase your chances of wooing them away from higher ranked programs, which increases the expected quality of your incoming class. And by taking more time to evaluate the remaining pool, you decrease error costs associated with over-reliance on imperfect signals such as GRE and GPA. As the new GRE provides even less information, it makes total sense for programs to take their time and evaluate the bulk of the applicant pool very carefully while releasing decisions on a rolling basis.

It seems like schools are adopting a rolling admissions approach, which is common for professional programs. It's actually a more rational strategy than admitting everyone at once. By taking your strongest applicants immediately, you increase your chances of wooing them away from higher ranked programs, which increases the expected quality of your incoming class. And by taking more time to evaluate the remaining pool, you decrease error costs associated with over-reliance on imperfect signals such as GRE and GPA. As the new GRE provides even less information, it makes total sense for programs to take their time and evaluate the bulk of the applicant pool very carefully while releasing decisions on a rolling basis.

This makes a lot of sense. I just wish it would be favoring me at this point!

Yes...but it stresses me out. Isn't this process all about me? (sarcasm...obviously)

No, I know you're right. I'm just grouchy because I can't buy plane tickets home until I hear from a few more places. I actually think it's perfectly rational for them to make decisions in this way.