Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Obviously. But niceness is relational, and if my friends' friends find the social climate in Princeton rather cold, I would venture that there's a good chance I would similarly not fare well there. This is obviously a post hoc rationalization as Princeton is a fantastic school and I'd be singing an altogether different tune in case of admission :P

An article posted by coach (now currentpsstudent) a few days ago led me to believe that Princeton wouldn't have been a great fit for me either. Of course, like you, I probably would have found a way to rationalize around that had I been accepted.

http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/2011/04/05/28121/

An article posted by coach (now currentpsstudent) a few days ago led me to believe that Princeton wouldn't have been a great fit for me either. Of course, like you, I probably would have found a way to rationalize around that had I been accepted.

http://www.dailyprin...11/04/05/28121/

Scathing and eloquent opinion piece! Thanks for (re-)posting.

Sigh... well I can't say this is a new criticism, although I continue to think it's mostly misplaced. Beyond that, I'll avoid commenting any further on this article.

Edit: I will post this though. It's not about stats as much as it is about formal theory, but I still think it's a good read.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2307/2539250

Edited by RWBG

I have received 1 acceptance and 2 official rejections but all the other schools where people report that they received rejection letters seem to not want to reject me:) nothing in my profiles, no emails wahtsoever...wtf? What's going on especially at NU and ND?

Sigh... well I can't say this is a new criticism, although I continue to think it's mostly misplaced. Beyond that, I'll avoid commenting any further on this article.

Edit: I will post this though. It's not about stats as much as it is about formal theory, but I still think it's a good read.

http://www.jstor.org...10.2307/2539250

I also think some of the responses to the initial post seem worth reading. Kristen Harkness' response seems good. I liked this part at the end:

"We also care deeply about substantive issues and our research is driven by normative concerns over important global issues such as inequality, poverty, environmental degradation, social violence, government stability, and war. We believe, however, that good research design (whether quantitative or qualitative) is fundamental to drawing reliable inferences about the world in which we live. Without good methods, we cannot know the causes of the problems we study nor the consequences of the policy interventions we may design. And in the absence of that knowledge, we may do more harm than good."

I have received 1 acceptance and 2 official rejections but all the other schools where people report that they received rejection letters seem to not want to reject me:) nothing in my profiles, no emails wahtsoever...wtf? What's going on especially at NU and ND?

Apparently all NU decisions will be out by "the end of the week"

I saw a bunch of Princeton rejection emails went out. I still haven't heard. All I have is one official rejection from CUNY, and all silence from elsewhere. I applied to some Master's programs because I'm assuming all PhD rejections at this point.

I'm claiming a Yale acceptance (theory).

Came as a complete, amazing, almost-car-accident-causing surprise: was directed, via email, to check the online decision. (No word on funding, visiting days, etc.)

Don't lose hope!

Edited by Green_Bee

Came as a complete, amazing, almost-car-accident-causing surprise: was directed, via email, to check the online decision. (No word on funding, visiting days, etc.)

Don't lose hope!

Congratulations! What type of Theory are you interested in?

Don't lose hope!

Congrats! Hopefully I'll see you at the visiting days (April 2-3)! PM me if you want to get on the mailing list for discussion the visit etc.

Also, funding info is supposed to come via snail mail...I've been very impatiently waiting since Saturday. :)

Don't lose hope!

I'm totally with you on the almost-car-accident-causing part - I was so shocked that I had trouble formulating sentences for about the first 2 hours after I got the email.