Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Anyone on the board claim a Berkeley admit yet? Dying here, sorry Im so obsessive over this guys haha.

I can't claim a Berkeley admit, but I spoke to Berkeley on the phone today and they confirmed that most acceptances have gone out. However, as I posted a few pages back, there is still "a group in the middle", i.e. a set of applicants that they're on the fence about. All decisions will be sent by next Wednesday. They won't even tell you if you've been rejected yet b/c of the people who they're still making up their minds about - at least, she wouldn't tell me. Maybe I just wasn't persuasive enough. Gah!

I think it's a mistake to look at admissions decisions as having any level of consistency. It's not that you're less competitive relative to the other Africanists than last year, it's that when you have an entirely different group of people evaluating you, what's "competitive" changes significantly. It's quite possible that if you had applied with you application from today to last year's committee, you would have been admitted.

I absolutely want to second this idea. It matters a lot for admission committees, particularly if your interest is not broad (and good enough) to ensure that whoever sits in the committee will be interested in your fit. I feel so particularly for comparativists, since this subfield has arguably the most diverse issues, for instance, if you are interested in Burma, then good luck......

Hmm, well, I left for a few hours and I have no new emails, so I have to assume at this point that I'm out of the running for Princeton.

I can't feel too down about it though, because of how hyper-competitive it is XD

Congrats to everyone that got in, as well as to those who can now conclude their seasons and figure out what their next step is!

I've still got a spread of other schools coming up (half of my applications had January 15th or Februrary 1st deadlines), so I've got enough pending results in the pipeline that I'm not in panic mode; All I really need is for one school to say yes to my request to dance with them.

I absolutely want to second this idea. It matters a lot for admission committees, particularly if your interest is not broad (and good enough) to ensure that whoever sits in the committee will be interested in your fit. I feel so particularly for comparativists, since this subfield has arguably the most diverse issues, for instance, if you are interested in Burma, then good luck......

I would like to add that there are SO many other things that change year to year. Profs I'm talking to are citing numbers like 3x 4x more applications than last year (slightly more specific than just "this was a competitive year"), so that's one thing. I suspect Princeton is a bit more stable in numbers.

Another thing a prof was just talking about yesterday, though, is the fact that they also have to look at current cohort and who came last year. So, for example, a department might have just graduated a bunch of Europeanists and need some new ones, or they might be really looking to improve the number of Latin Americanists in the department. They may have taken several Africanists last year, and not have a much space for that region in the incoming class this year. There are just SO many factors. Princeton was my dream school, so believe me I understand that this is easier said than done, but I think we have to try to not take it personally, and clearly you're an amazing student and an amazing candidate.

They may have taken several Africanists last year, and not have a much space for that region in the incoming class this year.

Actually, this dynamic made me think it'd be easier: last year they reportedly didn't accept a single Africanist, so I thought that would be good for me this year. But the point you and RWBG make is still valid, there are lots of changes, especially in the committee makeup. Perhaps some kind soul fought hard for me last year and wasn't on the adcom this year. In any case, I'm not taking it personally.

More generally, academia is about having a thick skin. We're constantly (through our writing) putting ourselves out there for everyone to scrutinize, and it's important to learn how to take rejection in stride.

Actually, this dynamic made me think it'd be easier: last year they reportedly didn't accept a single Africanist, so I thought that would be good for me this year. But the point you and RWBG make is still valid, there are lots of changes, especially in the committee makeup. Perhaps some kind soul fought hard for me last year and wasn't on the adcom this year. In any case, I'm not taking it personally.

More generally, academia is about having a thick skin. We're constantly (through our writing) putting ourselves out there for everyone to scrutinize, and it's important to learn how to take rejection in stride.

Perhaps one day you'll be a professor there. Judging by the mix of admits and rejects I've had, and seen others experience; I think it's pretty clear that life's unpredictable but I think we're all in for a wild ride.

I look forward to seeing everyone's name in the APSR one day!

Not to break too far away from the top ten timbre of the conversation at the moment, but has anyone heard anything further about UVA and Brown?

I imagine we probably have at least another week, if not two, before Brown starts sending anything; they historically have sent desicions early-to-mid March.

Add in how out of whack this season has been compared to others, and it might be even longer. However, I'd like to think that the ad-coms would want to at least get their desicions out the door by Spring Break, so they wouldn't have to come back to the apps afterwards?

And according to GSAS no email notification will be sent, via postal only

That's because the graduate school itself will only send letters and not emails. It's possible and I don't know that much about Harvard, but I would be really shocked if the department didn't notify via email unofficially for admitted students.

Edited by Megan

Its very interesting to see people wrapping up this cycle, I have literally heard from one of the 8 schools I applied to. This is supremely frustrating. I know a couple are in a similar situation, anyone else out there in this situation and has the excitement of phd applications waned. I know four of the eight have not made final decisions so its just very difficult to get to up or down about anything. I have too much f-ing work to do and can not focus!

Its very interesting to see people wrapping up this cycle, I have literally heard from one of the 8 schools I applied to. This is supremely frustrating. I know a couple are in a similar situation, anyone else out there in this situation and has the excitement of phd applications waned. I know four of the eight have not made final decisions so its just very difficult to get to up or down about anything. I have too much f-ing work to do and can not focus!

I'm with you there. As other people wrap up their respective cycles, they seem less interested in hopping on the forum and commiserating with those of us who still have a long, long way to go.

As time drags on, I get more and more excited about my single acceptance and care less and less about all the others. I really need to move on from all of this b/c school is heating up, and I have to get something done.

I'm with you there. As other people wrap up their respective cycles, they seem less interested in hopping on the forum and commiserating with those of us who still have a long, long way to go.

As time drags on, I get more and more excited about my single acceptance and care less and less about all the others. I really need to move on from all of this b/c school is heating up, and I have to get something done.

I feel like I'm on waitlist island and will get my only acceptance on April 14th. As for work, I only wish mine was school work...You can't scoff at a UT acceptance, great town, great school, and you'll have a great time if that where you end up!

I would like to add that there are SO many other things that change year to year. Profs I'm talking to are citing numbers like 3x 4x more applications than last year (slightly more specific than just "this was a competitive year"), so that's one thing. I suspect Princeton is a bit more stable in numbers.

That's sounds unlikely (the increase in numbers). The past couple of years have already seen increased numbers due to weaker economic times. The only school I know precise numbers for (Michigan) had within 10 people of last year's number apply. What schools were you hearing this about?