Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

I was lucky enough to get a University Fellowship, so funding will be more than adequate years 1 and 4. As for years 2, 3, and 5, I'll have to sort out some external monies. But on the whole, I believe I'll be headed to Madison with adequate finances.

Congrats balderdash! I am trying to figure out how to make the funding work up there, but luckily my bf has been accepted in Chemistry so two stipends make it much easier than one. Hopefully I'll see you in Madison at the end of March!

Congrats balderdash! I am trying to figure out how to make the funding work up there, but luckily my bf has been accepted in Chemistry so two stipends make it much easier than one. Hopefully I'll see you in Madison at the end of March!

I am trying to figure the same thing. Unfortunately my girlfriend will be in a different time zone, should I go to UWM.

Congrats on the fellowship balderdash! Which one was it? (if you dont mind me asking) - I would think you'd be a great candidate for the FLAS as well...

Congrats on the fellowship balderdash! Which one was it? (if you dont mind me asking) - I would think you'd be a great candidate for the FLAS as well...

I got the University Fellowship, here. Unfortunately FLAS can't work for me: they don't offer the languages that would be best for me, except perhaps French, but even that is only available to people in the professional schools. It's a real bummer, but I'm sure I can find something else.

I got the University Fellowship, here. Unfortunately FLAS can't work for me: they don't offer the languages that would be best for me, except perhaps French, but even that is only available to people in the professional schools. It's a real bummer, but I'm sure I can find something else.

Congrats! that looks fantastic. (definitely a livable sum in Madison!) - I'm sorry to hear about the FLAS not working - a real bummer.

Perhaps it's just that I come from a really high cost of living area, but I'm having a hard time imagining that 11-13k will sustain me for 9 months to a year (depending on summer opportunities). Does anyone know first (or second) hand, what the quality of life is whilst living on a UWM stipend? (I'm not looking for extravagence here, but a decent apartment with roomies, food, a small social life etc)

Congrats! that looks fantastic. (definitely a livable sum in Madison!) - I'm sorry to hear about the FLAS not working - a real bummer.

Perhaps it's just that I come from a really high cost of living area, but I'm having a hard time imagining that 11-13k will sustain me for 9 months to a year (depending on summer opportunities). Does anyone know first (or second) hand, what the quality of life is whilst living on a UWM stipend? (I'm not looking for extravagence here, but a decent apartment with roomies, food, a small social life etc)

Thank you, and yeah, I'm really relieved to have been offered it. As for the $11-13k: over in the funding thread, RWBG and others did a good job convincing me that the quality of the program is worth even taking out a $5k loan or something (which I may have to do in the three years not covered by the fellowship).

Wow, that really is a great fellowship! Much congratulations!!!

Thank you, and yeah, I'm really relieved to have been offered it. As for the $11-13k: over in the funding thread, RWBG and others did a good job convincing me that the quality of the program is worth even taking out a $5k loan or something (which I may have to do in the three years not covered by the fellowship).

The idea of taking out loans makes me a bit nervous. It very well may be worth doing however. I did see that they actively try to help find you outside funding which is nice...

Congrats Balderdash!

Hello all,

I've been a lurker for awhile during the application season and decided to join to ask a question.

I have been waitlsited at both Notre Dame and Emory with Notre Dame expilicitly saying I am on a "very short" waitlist and Emory indicating "they cannot accept me yet, but there is considerable support" for me in the department. What are the chances that I will be able to get off the waitlist at either school?

I have been rejected at UCSD, Duke, Princeton, and MIT, however have yet to hear back from Chicago, Columbia, Georgetown, and GW. Consequently it seems that the only other place I have a shot at getting into would be GW and with the great aid packages offered at ND and Emory I would really like to attend one of those schools. Any support, advice, information would be greatly appreciated!

I had a dream that one last day of Yale acceptance emails happened and I received one. Hopefully that is a sign of things to come today.

This is when you know youre crazy! I had a dream that Robert Art called me about being accepted to Brandeis...

I had a dream that one last day of Yale acceptance emails happened and I received one. Hopefully that is a sign of things to come today.

Here's hoping for the two of us XD

I woke up this morning and recieved my official UPenn rejection letter, so I'm still maintaining a perfect batting average of complete misses; it'd be nice to hear something positive from one of my schools... :unsure:

Edited by Snow Fox

This is when you know youre crazy! I had a dream that Robert Art called me about being accepted to Brandeis...

Oh that'd be quite the awesome call. I had a dream a few weeks ago that James Fearon called and said I was in at Stanford. I seriously am going crazy haha.

what's your subfiled? Subfield does matter in the choice of programs.

Hello all,

I've been a lurker for awhile during the application season and decided to join to ask a question.

I have been waitlsited at both Notre Dame and Emory with Notre Dame expilicitly saying I am on a "very short" waitlist and Emory indicating "they cannot accept me yet, but there is considerable support" for me in the department. What are the chances that I will be able to get off the waitlist at either school?

I have been rejected at UCSD, Duke, Princeton, and MIT, however have yet to hear back from Chicago, Columbia, Georgetown, and GW. Consequently it seems that the only other place I have a shot at getting into would be GW and with the great aid packages offered at ND and Emory I would really like to attend one of those schools. Any support, advice, information would be greatly appreciated!

I also woke up to a UPenn rejection letter :( . I'm wondering if its possible I'm going to get rejected from all the schools I applied to, save one, because that's how things are turning out so far.

You can only go to one school! Hang in there. Didn't you apply to 21 schools (I think I remember seeing that somewhere)?

You can only go to one school! Hang in there. Didn't you apply to 21 schools (I think I remember seeing that somewhere)?

Yup, I was the one who applied to 21 schools. Which is why it would be sad if I ended up with an acceptance to rejection ratio of 1: 20. Well, I'm still waiting on 12 places....What gets to me is the possibility of the lack of choices I suppose. At least some other people have ratios of around 3: 8 or something.

Edited by Apill

Yup, I was the one who applied to 21 schools. Which is why it would be sad if I ended up with an acceptance to rejection ratio of 1: 20. Well, I'm still waiting on 12 places....What gets to me is the possibility of the lack of choices I suppose. At least some other people have ratios of around 3: 8 or something.

Just a thought: how specific was your statement? I notice that you have IR, theory and area studies (comparative?) all listed in your sig. Did you tie them together somehow to form a specific research question / area?

Edited by Jwnich1

It was pretty specific actually. My focus in my statement was on the IR of India. I proposed to study India's foreign policy through a mostly constructivist lens, on the basis of how Indian philosophy and history influenced current Indian foreign policy, in the same manner in which some people study Chinese imperial history and Confucianism to understand the development of Chinese foreign policy thinking. It's IR but it has a big area studies component to it as well as a theoretical/philosophical/historical/religious component.That's why I focused places with strong theoretical and interdisciplinary approaches.

Also had a strange application dream last night...

I was in a classroom building at Harvard, asking people where I could find out about my application. Stephan Colbert comes out of a room and angrily tells me to take a math test. I see a room full of very studious looking people,hard at work. I begin the test, but my calculator and pencil keep breaking, and my two friends (suddenly present) keep talking to me about irrelevant things.

I woke up, emotionally prepared for my Harvard rejection!

Claiming a Yale rejection here too. Since I hadn't heard anything when everyone was getting acceptances, I was expecting it. At least Yale was kind enough to send an email, unlike Northwestern.

While I have been accepted to four great programs that I am very exciting about the possibility of attending, getting rejections still sorta sting. Anyway, enough whining!

Congratulations to all of the acceptances in recent days! It is so nice to see people getting good news as I wind down my application cycle.