Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Just saw this again, still one of my favorite lines...just so slick - maybe it'll make awful internet less painful:

Mycroft: Fire her. She's got it the wrong way around. You're under stress right now and your hand is perfectly steady. You're not haunted by the war, Dr Watson. You miss it.

I LOVE Sherlock!!! I can't wait for the next season. Good call!

Claiming acceptances to two of Chicago's MA programs. I will be ultimately turning it down for PhD prospects, but still happy nonetheless.

Congrats! Did you apply to the MA programs separately, or do they automatically consider you if you tell them to, like Columbia? I can't remember.

Second year in a row with a Wait List from Notre Dame. Yay...?

I am also on the waitlist! but I heard about 2 weeks ago, are they still sending our new waitlist positions?

I still haven't heard anything at all from Notre Dame, so I certainly hope there are more waitlist opportunities! XD

It'd be the best news of my season given the results so far; I'd probably throw myself a little waitlist party and everything.

Oh, I hear you. I spent two years interning and then working for Congress, and that experience certainly colored my view as well. I was surprised at the ignorance so regularly demonstrated by those who called their local representative.

Oh, man, ain't that the truth. My experience was SCOTUS Clerk's Office and the mail I read and the phones I answered...

Just saw this again, still one of my favorite lines...just so slick - maybe it'll make awful internet less painful:

Mycroft: Fire her. She's got it the wrong way around. You're under stress right now and your hand is perfectly steady. You're not haunted by the war, Dr Watson. You miss it.

This is why you and I are going to be best friends forever.

Congrats! Did you apply to the MA programs separately, or do they automatically consider you if you tell them to, like Columbia? I can't remember.

I applied to MAPSS directly. I got a call from one of their program managers like a month ago to see if I wanted to be considered for CIR as well since my interests fit the program pretty closely.

I applied to MAPSS directly. I got a call from one of their program managers like a month ago to see if I wanted to be considered for CIR as well since my interests fit the program pretty closely.

From looking at the results though, it does seem like they give some PhD rejections an acceptance to MAPSS as consolation. Is this correct?

Edited by Doorkeeper

From looking at the results though, it does seem like they give some PhD rejections an acceptance to MAPSS as consolation. Is this correct?

I am not sure, but I would not be surprised. Chicago has great MA programs, but MAPSS and the PoliSci departments are not officially tied together. So I guess it is MAPSS decision if they want to offer. I guess this was a lot of rambling and no help... Sorry!

I am getting very very worried.

Is it safe to assume I am rejected to all of them?

The list was:

Columbia

McGill

Georgetown

Washington University in St. Louis

Brown

UVA

UPenn

Am I basically out of the running for all of these schools? Was this cycle a terrible failure?

Don't give up hope until getting the actual rejection letters. That being said, I know that UVA has a rolling process so if you didn't hear anything it is possible that you are still on the running / on an unofficial waitlist. I think it was said earlier that Brown sent out all admits, but I am not entirely sure. No idea about McGill.

I have heard nothing from Brown and there has been (to my knowledge) only one aceptance posted so I'm not sure the info is legit. I'm still holding out for Brown, so hang in there!

I second this; I just checked my status on the online portal, and it still reads "A decision has not yet been made."

Their program gets enough applications that there should be way more than just one Grad Cafe patron getting in, so I think there's plenty of hope here!

Edited by Snow Fox

Do you plan to attend GWU? Any funding?

No funding yet. I don't know if I'm planning to attend it. I'll make a decision about it after I hear back from all my places and visit a couple.

Also, those who were wondering about not hearing from Berkeley: I finally got a decline from them today :(

Congrats! You know Eugene is landlocked, right? You'll have to lay down your pirate activities and become a filthy land-lover.

I know. I grew up in the middle of nowhere, so I am used to be being a land-lubber. The Pirate is more the mascot of my undergrad institution, so it worked in a pinch for a forum name. I am relieved to be in somewhere.

I just got my Berkeley rejection so my cycle is now completely done, making my 0 for 3 in California. My silver lining is that its going to make my decision making process simpler since Berkeley vs. Columbia vs. Harvard vs MIT might have made my head explode