Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Coming from a liberal arts background, it's sometimes weird to hear about people applying to their alma mater for grad school...I'm like...you can do that? Then I remember.

Same. I keep thinking it's weird when people talk about having done grad seminars and all this fancy stuff, and then I remember their schools have grad departments, and my liberals arts college does not.

Thanks, I really appreciate the answer. Your points 2 and 3 were my issues with NU's program as well. Caverly is great, but he is only one person doing security, and so there are not many other people to work with, especially if Caverly leaves NU as I've heard he might consider doing. Also, I looked at the classes offered for graduate students, and as I think you noted before, there are not that many offerings at all. While I wanted to do something that was a mix of theory and IR/security/foreign affairs/politics, I find that NU leans, for the type of stuff I want to do, in the direct of theory too much. My work then would be, by being exposed to a department environment that leaned a certain way, much more theory oriented that I wanted it to be.

I'm definitely glad to help! On a note about Jon leaving, I really don't know. His partner (wife?) is in Chicago as well so that's a consideration I'm willing to bet.

But if he does move, he's literally one of the most wonderful people to work with I can imagine so pay attention to where he goes. As an advisor, he was unmatched. He helped me learn how to set up a project, gave me TONS of hints, comments, and thoughts, and took a personal interest in my professional development. And I am still an undergrad. I owe a ton of professional success to him, so that's just something people should be aware of. [He's also one of those ridiculously brilliant people whose brains just blow your mind.]

Again...sorry for the pro-NU love fest. But really, I was really lucky to have the kind of department and advising I did.

Pretty sure I'm going to pick to go to Ohio State if I dont hear back from Princeton or Duke. That methods program is too good to pass up. Plus the addition of Gelpi makes it that much better. Still have my visits to do though so we'll see.

(Plus being from Ohio and wanting to go to a crap ton of football and bball games would be sweeeet)

Edited by kolja00

Well, I also haven't heard from NYU. I tried sending an e-mail, and got the whole "decision process is ongoing" spiel. Last year, I remember rejections went out later for people who were being considered for the MA program; I don't remember indicating that I was interested in the MA program, but it's possible I ticked a box somewhere. Do you remember if you did?

hey you are right actually I did checked that box but I really don't want to go for an MA

Rejection from the Kennedy School in the mail today. Expected, now just waiting for the Georgetown rejection!

GT historically takes forever to send these out.

On another note, I can't focus on my thesis and other work that needs to get done with this decision ahead of me. I know I shouldn't even be worrying about it just yet because I still have one more school to visit, but it's killing me. I liked my last visit so much more than I thought I would, and it definitely made my decision more difficult. I'm hoping that the next visit will make the decision easier. In the end, I'm probably just going to flip a coin as a gut check.

I have visited everywhere except for ND. I had a good visit at A&M, but I think it's just too quantitatively focused for me to be happy and productive as a theorist. Loved the profs and grad students that I met, though. The program also seems to have an abundance of funding. It's close to home and in a warm climate, but I'm just not sure that it's the best fit.

Wow. Posting really slows once most of those decisions go out. Hope everyone's doing well, and good luck in deciding! (And hope to see some of y'all at UNC or WUSTL this/next week!)

Wow. Posting really slows once most of those decisions go out. Hope everyone's doing well, and good luck in deciding! (And hope to see some of y'all at UNC or WUSTL this/next week!)

there is not a ton to say until you have seen the departments in action. then we can kick it into action about making our decisions

Any updates on UC-Davis? I see several acceptances, so I assume no news is bad news, but they're the only school that hasn't made a decision on me. I've called once and they said "just keep checking the website," but it seems like the rejections are taking awhile.

Any updates on UC-Davis? I see several acceptances, so I assume no news is bad news, but they're the only school that hasn't made a decision on me. I've called once and they said "just keep checking the website," but it seems like the rejections are taking awhile.

I think you will get an e-mail from grad studies saying that a decision will be available on X date, so it's unlikely you'll find anything updated before that. My guess is that Davis is waiting to hear back from their initial acceptances before they admit their unofficial waitlist applicants. Best of luck to you :)