My chances of admission into a PhD program in Social Psychology?

rhapsody24

I'm sure posts such as these appear often on these forums, so I will make mine very direct. I am planning on applying to a PhD program in Social Psychology. I'm am very nervous as to how good my chances are. Here is some of my background info:

My overall GPA: 3.53

Major GPA: 3.64

Grades from relevant coursework:

Research Methods: B

Social Psychology: A

Psychology of Human Diversity (Cultural Psych): A

International Psychology: A

Individual Study: A

Statistics: (This one worries me - I took it the first time as a sophomore and made a C! Then I took it again in the summer and made a B )

I am working on an undergraduate honors thesis which is very cognitive in nature, it is on abstract reasoning and time perception. I have designed everything for the experiment, everything from the stims, the all of the test questions, everything. We will begin data collection as soon as the fall semester begins.

I am also going to be doing research with one of my professors, who is a social psychologist as soon as the semester starts. He says I will be helping to collect and analyze data.

I have also signed up for a computer applications course this semester. The course is focuses entirely on data analysis using SPSS.

I am scheduled to take my GRE exam in October.

I'm just curious as to what my chances are of getting into a PhD program in Social Psychology? In terms of ranking, what kind of school should I apply to? Top 40? 60? Should I apply to a masters program instead?

Any input would be appreciated. Thank You!

Edited by rhapsody24

Hard to say until you know your GRE scores but it looks like you're on a good track. The cognitive stuff you're doing for your thesis could probably still be framed as "social" psych if you do it right.Time perception is a hot thing right now, so applying cognitive methodology to it might be a good way to sell yourself to grad schools. To see an example of what I mean, check out the Pronin and Jacobs paper from 2008; it won the theoretical prize from SPSP, which is a big deal.

im also applying for social programs this fall, so I'm no expert, but i think your gpa and Bs in research methods/stats will probably hurt you a bit. your research experience looks solid though. i would apply broadly.

ofc, you should talk to your advisors about this kind of stuff - they should have a lot better sense your abilities than anyone here

You can probably get into some Top 50 programs if your GRE's sufficient and you're a good fit with the department. Anything Top 20ish would be a hard sell knowing the undergraduate profile of many of the admits.

I hate to be a debbie downer but I think you don't really have a lot of research experience compared to other successful applicants. Social psych is very competitive but like others said it really depends on your GRE score and fit.

seems like the consensus on this board for most people wanting to know about their chances is "fit" and "research research research" sure, gre scores can serve as a cut off, and it is worth the time to look into programs if they have an explicit score that you must reach to be considered. But, if you make that cut off and you have a shining application otherwise, I think it is alright to say that you stand a good chance.

Your GPA seems a little low, but the real problem I see with your application is that you do not have any presentations or publications. You will be competing against many applicants that have been to conferences, so it puts you at a disadvantage when professors are deciding who to interview. Taking statistics courses is a good idea and will definitely help you out once you get to grad school, but since many people do not have the opportunity to take courses in SPSS as undergrads you will be required to take statistics anyway once you start your program.

It's really hard to figure out where to apply, and I honestly don't have any good advice besides try applying to schools with a range of selectivity. I don't know of any social psych masters programs in the US, but if you don't feel confident about PhD programs I would recommend working as a research assistant for a year to buff up your application. Good Luck!

I thank all of you for your input! I really appreciate it. :)

One more question: When grad schools look at your GPA are they looking at the overall or the major? Or Both?

Thank You

Edited by rhapsody24

They will look at both your overall and in-major GPA, but in-major matters more. However, most good schools do not place a lot of importance on GPA or GRE scores - if you are below a certain level you're probably not going to be accepted unless there is something outstanding in your application, but above that level it just means your application is going to be considered.