PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

rlayla, have patience and keep the faith. Yale made their decisions on friday afternoon, and they have about 10 days to call everyone or email before the letters arrive in the mail....at this point, no news is good news.

Thanks, Yosimoney, and congrats. Care to share your awesome field/stats/background with us?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to come out of the woodwork ... I'm a (re)applicant this cycle who's been reading these boards voraciously--like most of you, in nervous anticipation of those notification e-mails and packages! My guess (not going on any actionable intel or anything, just pure intuition) is that Berkeley will let us know by Friday. But I suspect some of the other schools to which I've applied will be sending their letters later this year than last. The wait for that first acceptance is killing me ... I can't stop checking my e-mail!

Just FYI, I'm one of the many folks here who's giving my doctoral ambitions one last go this year. I applied four years ago to seven PhD programs and was dinged everywhere--a shock at the time (I had terrific numbers and a strong CV; the stats haven't changed) but not so much in retrospect, as my personal statement was way off the mark. I got a Masters degree instead, plus a couple years of substantive work experience as a researcher, and now I'm back as an older, and hopefully much wiser, applicant. Not expecting to win them all this year, but I'll be happy if I can gain admission to at least 2 of the 6.

Good luck to all; it sounds like people on this board have already been beating the odds.

You'd really think that is be used to hearing nothing but I swear each day it's a bit harder getting to 5pm Cali time. At least once I hear something from Stanford, good or bad, I'll be able to relax 3hrs earlier every day.

We probably over-value information about when a school notified last year. The composition of the admissions committee may be entirely different this year than last.

I agree. Not only that, but it seems reasonable that there may be more applications this year which could lengthen the process.

But without inside knowledge, we gotta go on something!

Just FYI, I'm one of the many folks here who's giving my doctoral ambitions one last go this year. I applied four years ago to seven PhD programs and was dinged everywhere--a shock at the time (I had terrific numbers and a strong CV; the stats haven't changed) but not so much in retrospect, as my personal statement was way off the mark. I got a Masters degree instead, plus a couple years of substantive work experience as a researcher, and now I'm back as an older, and hopefully much wiser, applicant. Not expecting to win them all this year, but I'll be happy if I can gain admission to at least 2 of the 6.

I can't be the only one who'd love to hear your advice re: personal statements, if you felt it was such a deal-breaker before. I'm assuming that I'm not getting in anywhere - treating this year as a kind of metaphorical 'toe in the water' - so a bit of wisdom would be much appreciated. Perhaps in another thread?

PS. Someone with connections and sources give me an idea of when/how NYU is going to show its hand...

A taste of the threads at PoliSciJobRumors:

"Do you pretend like a proletariat in your department?"

"Most attractive Political Scientist"

"The Strongest Political Scientist"

"Who hates us the most?"

"Do you do voodoo?"

"Holy balls, John Hibbing is on the Daily Show!"

I can't believe I just wasted a little bit of my life reading the 2nd and 3rd threads mentioned here. That's twenty minutes I'm not going to get back. Oof.

From PoliSciJobRumors (posted 2 weeks ago)

"It happens I am chair of grad admissions this year.

Applications up dramatically, in quality and number. Though, of course, our existing set of grad students are all quite wonderful, mind you. Quite. Wonderful Don't send me emails, you Duke people. We love you.

Biggest increase is in IR and Comparative. Very impressive. Quite a number of folks with law degrees, at really fine universities, are considering getting PhDs.

We'll be sending out acceptances in about three weeks, maybe a little more.

Mike Munger"

Pretty sure its authentic, he was signed in as himself.

1 week ago

"Unregistered: I'm on admissions at a top 10. Applications are up a lot, but quality is not. A lot of people who clearly shouldn't be in a PhD program -- due to fit and/or academic performance -- are applying. I got through the files just as fast as in the past. My guess is that schools will be on the same timetable as last year."

"Rochester is admitting people today.

Duke is rejecting people over their website today."

I am the one who posted (both) the results from U. Washington on the board this evening. My apologies for double submitting, but my internet was being weird and it wasn't displaying. The committee member said they would be meeting again tomorrow and that official notices should follow shortly.

adaptations said:
I am the one who posted (both) the results from U. Washington on the board this evening. My apologies for double submitting, but my internet was being weird and it wasn't displaying. The committee member said they would be meeting again tomorrow and that official notices should follow shortly.

Hey adaptations, just a few questions about our University of Washington mail. Which sub-field are you in? Do they normally notify individually or did you have particular contact with this professor?

It's strange that TAMU has already started notifying admits. Maybe the ones they've given out admits are the top students. I called up the department and they said early March is the earliest admits will be given out. Files are still being circulated among adcom members.

I also called up the DGS at Brown. She said there's been no plans to cut funding this year but they might take 1 or 2 fewer students than usual. There has been 200 applicants, give or take a few, for 12 places (or did she say 14?). Next year (Fall 2010 class) they plan to cut funding (and hence intake since they fund everyone) significantly for the incoming class although nothing's certain.

Decisions will be given out from March 1st week.

I also called up the DGS at Brown. She said there's been no plans to cut funding this year but they might take 1 or 2 fewer students than usual. There has been 200 applicants, give or take a few, for 12 places (or did she say 14?). Next year (Fall 2010 class) they plan to cut funding (and hence intake since they fund everyone) significantly for the incoming class although nothing's certain.

Decisions will be given out from March 1st week.

Very good, thank you for calling. Those are tough numbers. But at least we're not applying next year.

Congrats Adapt. I heard from University of Washington tonight too, but it is totally unofficial. I heard from a potential advisor and was told to expect official notice within a few weeks.

plisar said:
Congrats Adapt. I heard from University of Washington tonight too, but it is totally unofficial. I heard from a potential advisor and was told to expect official notice within a few weeks.

Hey plisar, congrats!! Can I ask you a quick question: What is your sub-field? Please excuse me if you've already posted this earlier. I am just curious if certain fields are notifying unofficially at this stage. Thanks!

I got a call from U Washington this evening too, but I got the idea they were just trying to see if I really had any interest in the program before they make their decisions (which is supposed to be a couple of weeks).

Hey guys,

Been lurking here the past couple of days and just wanted to break my radio silence. I have been rather frequently checking this site since discovering it and am keen to hear back some results! So far I'm at 1-1. Accepted to Oxford; rejected from Yale (a poor fit anyway... I realised as I was finishing off the application that I really should have directed my energies elsewhere).

Cheers for all the info, especially on when acceptances/rejections are coming out. While the knowledge has made me somewhat more obsessed with the outcomes, it is also reassuring to know that many others are in the same boat!