PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn i have so some much work to do.. now i'm going to be obsessing over UPenn...lol..

You're telling me about it... I think it's the only place I stand a reasonable chance of getting in, as one of my LORs had his PhD supervised by one of their big shots and knows their Grad Chair. I've also had favourable contact with a few people in the department in my area. Basically for me this could be the ball game.

You're telling me about it... I think it's the only place I stand a reasonable chance of getting in, as one of my LORs had his PhD supervised by one of their big shots and knows their Grad Chair. I've also had favourable contact with a few people in the department in my area. Basically for me this could be the ball game.

Wow.. thats how i feel about Columbia... but after being rejected by Yale, i really want an acceptance so i can have some piece of mind that i'm going somewhere.. Plus i heart UPENN... :P

Wow.. thats how i feel about Columbia... but after being rejected by Yale, i really want an acceptance so i can have some piece of mind that i'm going somewhere.. Plus i heart UPENN... :P

TBH currently I heart anyone who'll pay me enough to live in the USA next year to do a PhD lol. I think you and me are possibly the only non-accepted people thus far and I'm sure you're the same, the security blanket of anything at this stage would be VERY welcome. Well, back to refreshing and waiting to see if any more UPenn crops up to confirm that's real...

I didn't realise President's Day was a big enough deal for universities to close...

Is today a *big* federal holiday in the US? Are the universities closed today?

Some are, but the vast majority are not. UC System and Stanford ARE closed for classes. It varies as to whether this is also an administrative holiday. Some places will close classes but keep offices open.

So overall, don't expect much from UC or Stanford, but everything else is fair game.

Does anyone find it odd how Plisar seems to have immediate, accurate, and useful information on virtually every school in the country? thegradcafe.com should have him on their payroll.

:lol: I'm not sure if that should be a compliment or an insult, but I'm glad to help out as I can.

Does anyone find it odd how Plisar seems to have immediate, accurate, and useful information on virtually every school in the country? thegradcafe.com should have him on their payroll.

Very true. :D

Is Northwestern open today? They are supposed to start rolling the ball from today.

EDIT: I think adaptations meant it as a compliment, plisar. :P

What I'd love to know is... do departments who send out notifications in dribs and drabs realise how much prospective grad students sit and overanalyse what's happening at their end? i.e. I'm now sat running through various scenarios for UPenn - is it one professor who spilled the beans before the grad school has started notifying, the adcomms doing one email before mid-morning coffee break and getting distracted by a tasty danish before returning to notifying, is it a hoax? ARRRRRGGGGHHHH....

What I'd love to know is... do departments who send out notifications in dribs and drabs realise how much prospective grad students sit and overanalyse what's happening at their end? i.e. I'm now sat running through various scenarios for UPenn - is it one professor who spilled the beans before the grad school has started notifying, the adcomms doing one email before mid-morning coffee break and getting distracted by a tasty danish before returning to notifying, is it a hoax? ARRRRRGGGGHHHH....

something is not right... i say its bogus ...

When does UPenn normally notify their applicants? I think it will be significant to draw insights from previous trends regarding this particular school.

Late-Feb/Early March last year... but whether that means anything this year is up to interpretation.

Random in the sense that i've seen people get rejected from schools like OSU and accepted to MIT and NYU. And looking at your list of schools i'm sure you going to get accepted to some really great schools.. :D

By that, are you suggesting that NYU has a better Political Science department than Ohio State?? Because I would strongly dispute that assessment...