PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They sent me an e-mail about an hour ago. I don't know much about any of these schools though. Maybe you all can help me out. I do theories of IR and security, so is Chicago the best choice for me at this point?

They sent me an e-mail about an hour ago. I don't know much about any of these schools though. Maybe you all can help me out. I do theories of IR and security, so is Chicago the best choice for me at this point?

So you say you don't know much about these schools...yet you applied to them AND got in?

I researched their programs when I applied, but in terms of prestige, job-placement, and quality of education, I really don't know much. Lately I've been looking at rankings and talking with professors, but I get a lot of mixed feedback. Just wanted the opinions of some of the veterans on this board. And I am basically a realist.

So....anyone know if Chicago sends out notices in waves? Otherwise I guess I'm out of running. Still haven't heard definitively from UVA either. grrrrrr

If they have contacted their waitlist students already, I am assuming they are done then. But then again, I can be wrong.

Dear mwash,

Of your accepted list (Chicago, Duke, UCSD, Berkeley) Chicago is, I believe, leaning more towards constructivist work as of late, although some have told me that their program is kind of in disarray. I talked to some students there last year who had some real horror stories. UCSD has a very good reputation as a stats oriented comparative school, as does Duke and Berkeley. As far pursuing a realist research agenda, I would think that Duke would be the best one. Good luck!