PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

No package from MIT, so there's another rejection... Nothing from Georgetown... This blows. Very disappointing.

I went to my therapist yesterday and spent half the damn session talking about this crap. Then I got pissed on the way home because I realized that if I hadn't gone to therapy in the past year, I could almost afford the Kaplan GRE course, which, apparently, would have been a whole lot more useful.

Congratulations to everyone who is receiving good news this week! I'm holding out hope that Georgetown isn't done notifying.

maybe MIT isn't done notifying either...i asked the grad coordinator and she said they will send all letters by end of this week/ early next week. possibly most of these would be rejection letters, but don't give up hope completely. i'm trying not, but it's so disappointing though.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

may i ask the credentials of MIT folks....i'm still freaking out about the results. just want to make sure if i really have no chance.

thanks!

Waiting: MIT, Hvd (Psychology), KSG (Policy), NYU

Rejection: Princeton, U Chicago

Acceptance: none :(

GRE: 660 (V), 760 (Q), 5 (W)

GPA (grad): Policy - 4.6/5 - Ivy League, publications in int journals

GPA (ug): Policy - distinction, top of my class - foreign degree

Abt 1.5 years of research experience in multilateral agency in washington DC, including published work

minus - no direct policy sci background

may i ask the credentials of MIT folks....i'm still freaking out about the results. just want to make sure if i really have no chance.

thanks!

Waiting: MIT, Hvd (Psychology), KSG (Policy), NYU

Rejection: Princeton, U Chicago

Acceptance: none :(

GRE: 660 (V), 760 (Q), 5 (W)

GPA (grad): Policy - 4.6/5 - Ivy League, publications in int journals

GPA (ug): Policy - distinction, top of my class - foreign degree

Abt 1.5 years of research experience in multilateral agency in washington DC, including published work

minus - no direct policy sci background

I got into MIT, yet my experience this year strongly suggests that measures such as GRE/GPA/publications are completely insufficient to predict admissions outcomes. Despite having strong quantitative measures across the board, attending a strong undergrad institution, and sending every school essentially the same recommendations, personal statements, and writing samples, I was rejected at 6 schools and admitted only to MIT (my top choice) and UVA (my 'safety,' if you want to call it that

I got into MIT, yet my experience this year strongly suggests that measures such as GRE/GPA/publications are completely insufficient to predict admissions outcomes. Despite having strong quantitative measures across the board, attending a strong undergrad institution, and sending every school essentially the same recommendations, personal statements, and writing samples, I was rejected at 6 schools and admitted only to MIT (my top choice) and UVA (my 'safety,' if you want to call it that

Hi,

So am sort of new to this blog but have been reading a lot in the past few weeks and this is the only thing that has kept me SANE!! Thanks to all who posted.

I am applying for Comparative African(would love to hear from those applying to the same thing).

Hopeful2 we are sort of in the same boat.

I have been accepted with no funding as yet to one school, rejected to 3 and waiting on 7. But I call Florida today and they said they are still reviewing files. Northwestern is not yet done and I have not heard back from Princeton.

I think the economy sucked this year.

If anyone applied to Howard I went to talk to a proff there yesterday and he said they are just begging the process. He was great we spoke for 2 hours but that does not mean he will take me yikes.

But THANKS for blogging. This is therapy for me. I hope we all at least get one school and can continue sharing over the next 5 years... :D

Just got the funding offer from UCSD. If I'm reading it right it is underwelming. Its their Earl Warren fellowship, and it is their highest award. It starts great at $22,500 the first year and then the next 3-4 is $16,500 for 50% TA. Did anyone else receive this?

Just got the funding offer from UCSD. If I'm reading it right it is underwelming. Its their Earl Warren fellowship, and it is their highest award. It starts great at $22,500 the first year and then the next 3-4 is $16,500 for 50% TA. Did anyone else receive this?

You got a better deal than me.

TA all five years

First year: $20,818

2-5: $16,637

You got a better deal than me.

TA all five years

First year: $20,818

2-5: $16,637

Are you going to the Duke and UCSD openhouses? I still haven't decided about attending Chicago's. I'm currently waitlisted, but Patchen sent me an email that sounded moderately optimistic.

hey guys

thanks for the replies! i agree this is therapeutic.

congratulations to everyone who got their their first choice and good luck to everyone else...we should have most of the results in a week.

i'm giving myself until tomorrow to completely rule out MIT, maybe they mailed a few out today...fingers crossed!

ummmm.....you do know that California is more than broke, right?

Political science, or the social sciences in general, are not UCSD's main emphasis. They're best known, and probably have the best funding for, their medical/scientific specialties.

This was the same as mine--25% TA year one and then 50% thereafter, right?

Right. But I don't think I have TA duty the first year. Considering how much it costs to live in San Diego, it doesn't seem like much. My offer from Duke is $19,500 for 5 years in an area where rent is $700 a month for a three bed/two bath apartment.

To the posters who inquired about MIT, I concur entirely with IRHopeful's earlier message. I was 0-for-4 in this funny lottery game until I got the call with good news from MIT's department the other day (five-year funding package--very exciting). I had strong numbers (PM if you really want to know), terrific rec letters, etc., but I had no luck with the other schools (though I am still waiting to hear back from a few) . . . Basically, I think, it all comes down to departmental fit, and whether professors feel they can accommodate your research interests.

This was particularly vindicating because I was rejected there--and everywhere else, in fact--four years ago (a humbling 0-for-7). So for those of you who are feeling down about this year's cycle, keep the faith and never give up. I spent those four interim years earning a relevant Masters degree, publishing extensively, and developing a solid expertise in my subject area. I recognize it's a rather circuitous route, and not for everyone, but it has certainly paid off, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome.

By the way, I believe MIT accepted ~30 people this year, and they have called all those to whom they were offering the full funding package (largely to get a sense of whether or not they would attend). From what my advisor/contact told me, they are already getting a much higher yield than last year, when 9 people accepted their offer.

Come on, Fridaaaaaaay!!! I know this game's winding down for a lot of folks here, but I'm still waiting to hear from five departments. Batting .000 at the moment.

Don't make me spend all weekend contemplating dusting off the ol' resume in these turbulent times. Give me some happy news....

I saw that a few people got rejected from Northwestern last night, but my application still shows no decision.

I'm waiting on Northwestern too. Any idea if this is good news or bad news (for those of us who's application status hasn't changed in their system)?